Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Paulaner Brewed?

Options
  • 22-11-2008 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

Now that Heineken Ireland are promoting Paulaner, i'd like to know...

Where is Paulaner Brewed?
    Is it brewed in cork, or do Heineken simply bottle it, or do they just import it in bottles, kegs etc, and simply distribute it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

:eek:

Didn't hear about this. All the bottles I've gotten recently have been German. Are Heineken going to brew, does anyone know - Not happy if they're being brewed outside Germany though - God only knows what muck they're going to put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

heineken ireland just import it bottled and ready to go as far as i'm aware. they do alot of foreign beers like zywiec from poland and a few italian and belgiun ones too. it's the same with murphys. its brewed in Cork and then exported across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Not happy if they're being brewed outside Germany though - God only knows what muck they're going to put into it.

I would be surprised if they where brewing out side of Germany, one reason is keeping an active culture of the Hefe yeast and in generally lager brewers try not to have ale yeasts or mutable yeasts if they can on one site due to the risk of cross contamination,.

Also another is that wheat beers are a much smaller percentage of sale compared to their other lager bands and may make more economical sense to brew it on one site?

But I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fajitas! wrote: »
    :eek:

Didn't hear about this. All the bottles I've gotten recently have been German. Are Heineken going to brew, does anyone know - Not happy if they're being brewed outside Germany though - God only knows what muck they're going to put into it.

God only knows what muck they already put in it!!

Nasty hangover headache brew!!:mad:

• Advertisement

As far as I know, they just distribute it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

God only knows what muck they already put in it!!

Cant say that i have had any nasty hangovers from it.. only a bit of indigestion the following day

Never had a bad hangover with paulaner or any other wheat beer. Just feel a bit tired for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've given up drinking it draught after a few too many bad hangovers after very few beers, and similar occurrances with friends on the same nights leave me wondering if the lines are not being cleaned often enough in many places. Bottles have never hurt me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Still brewed in Munich. Heineken own the brewery and the brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

MediaTank wrote: »
    Still brewed in Munich. Heineken own the brewery and the brand.
    Not quite true!
    Heineken own less than 50% of a holding company which holds 50% of Paulaner.

So they only own 24.9% of Paulaner Brewery Group if you work it out

Structure is outlined here:
    http://www.bhi-kg.de/html/ueber_uns/struktur.php?flash=off

Nevertheless, in Munich its considered an "international" brewery due to the contamination involvement by Heineken.

Still not as much a sell out as Spaten/ Löwenbraü who are 100% owned by InBev.

Löwenbrau (Lager Beer) by the way IS brewed outside Munich. In England what you get is brewed locally and also in Hungary I saw it was locally produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Thanks for the (detailed) clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I was under the impression that Erdinger also was brewed outside Germany - Droheda maybe? Can anyone confirm?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

enda1 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that Erdinger also was brewed outside Germany - Droheda maybe? Can anyone confirm?
    I'm pretty sure Erdinger is brewed exclusively in Erding. The main importer is NorEast Beers of Dundalk. There is no brewery in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

enda1 wrote: »
    Nope,
    its already watered down before it leaves germany! ;)

They have now brought out an "Original Erdinger" over here (only south germany so far) 'cos its such a watery dose of innoffensive sh*te that they are looking to improve their reputation by releasing a proper tasting old style (i.e. not watered down) Weissbier.
    http://www.erdinger.de/biere/con_bierspezialitaeten_gebindearten.php?gebinde=urweisseflasche&headline=Erdinger+Urweisse&subline=Von+guter+altbayrischer+Art&img=urweisse_flasche.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Erdinger is brewed exclusively in Erding. The main importer is NorEast Beers of Dundalk. There is no brewery in Drogheda.

I found out what I was on about... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Northern_Brewery,_Dundalk

Warsteiner in Dundalk it was. Awful stuff no matter where it's brewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

That's the one that, along with Kilkenny, is soon to be closed by Diageo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think it's just the draught version that's brewed at Great Northern. Bottles and cans say they're from Warstein on the the label.

Advertisement