Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killers - Day and Age

Options
  • 22-11-2008 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Just had my first listen there and first impressions are not good at all.

The songs are for the most part bland and uninspiring, with some very questionable lyrics. I'm prepared to give it a bit more time to grow but I can't say I hold out too much hope for it.

Hot Fuss > Sam's Town > Day and Age

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The Killers can no longer be taken seriously IMO.
    Whats with the stage costumes and as you say dodgy lyrics?

Anyone see them on Jools Holland a couple of weeks ago? Embarrasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

apparantly his jacket with the pheasant feathers was designed by the same person who designs kylie's catsuits......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The Killers getting worse? Ain't that a shocker?! It's no longer 2004, your novelty's worn off. You may now join Jason Donovan and Rick Astley on the scrap heap.

Thank you for calling! :D

i'm on my fourth listening and apart from 'human' it's pure cat litter :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yep, 1st impressions are not good apart from Human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Since I saw them live this year, I can safely say I will NEVER ever ever ever ever ever ever listen to them again. Worst live band in the history of music without a doubt.

Albums a load of cock too, amateur night big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Human is a ****ing awful song with some of the most non sensical lyrics ever written....

DarkJager wrote: »
    Human is a ****ing awful song with some of the most non sensical lyrics ever written....

Too true...

It should be "Are we Human, or are we ****"

To which I would reply, "yes both"

Feelgood wrote: »
    Since I saw them live this year, I can safely say I will NEVER ever ever ever ever ever ever listen to them again. Worst live band in the history of music without a doubt.

Just interested - where did you see them why were they crap live?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

artyeva wrote: »
    i'm on my fourth listening and apart from 'human' it's pure cat litter :mad:

Wait, you're trying to tell us that Human is the BEST song on the album???

If that's the case, I can't even imagine how horrific an album it must be.

• Advertisement

artyeva wrote: »
    Why were they crap live?

The sound was unbelievably bad, usually at a gig if your either left or right of the stage its not as good as the centre. Even in the centre it was desperate!. All I could hear was was a hi-hat and some mumbled singing and the odd note on the guitar here and there.

Then to top it off, they only played for an hour and had a bloody 5-10 minute encore break in between!. Talk about taking the pi$$, never again.

They are renowned for how brutal there are live anyway, though I only heard that after I saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

I'm a huge killers fan and have to say I would think this album would be brilliant if I heard it and didn't know it was the killers!!

Losing touch,spaceman,joyride,a dustland fairytale, goodnight travel well to name a few stand out!!

This slating of the killers seems to be jumping on the bandwagon,just pike loving them was a few years ago!!! It is entirely undeserved when so many mediocre bands are loved by many!!

As for humans lyrics....dancer means are we bringing up a generation of dancers I.e. X factor yuppies!! Brandon got in from hunter s Thompson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

this is a great album, its different, which other bands cant do and b successful at lik the killers... this has been the main critism of the band, but they have shown that they can b both different and class, still the best in the world!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Better than Sam's town overall.

Yes the lyrics are terrible, unless you're into UFO's and crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

this is a great album, its different, which other bands cant do and b successful at lik the killers... this has been the main critism of the band, but they have shown that they can b both different and class, still the best in the world!!!!
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Better than Sam's town overall.

Yes the lyrics are terrible, unless you're into UFO's and crap like that.

I'm in a state of shock.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm in a state of shock.
    Read my mind was the only good song on Sam's town, When you were young was alright but the rest was tripe. This is more like the Killers of old, catchy pop songs is what they're best at.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ShaneU wrote: »
    Read my mind was the only good song on Sam's town, When you were young was alright but the rest was tripe. This is more like the Killers of old, catchy pop songs is what they're best at.

I can honestly say there is not one song off the new album that has gotten into my head. Not one of them is catchy in the slightest.

Sam's Town has some great songs. The titlle track, 'The River Is Wild', 'When You Were Young', 'Bones' and 'For Reasons Unknown' are good pop/rock songs, which is exactly what the Killers are. This new stuff is completely uninspiring.

I hate Bones with a passion, so incredibly cheesy. Joyride on the new album is very cheesy as well, could easily be a Barry Manilow number, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Sam's Town is an unreal album, this one is one I wish didn't exist. I like Human but I had to give up at Joyride in disgust. Where the **** are the guitars. Replaced by a bunch of keyboards. Sam's Town was such a massive leap in the right direction, Day and Age takes them miles backwards. Words cannot express my dissapointment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The Batman wrote: »

As for humans lyrics....dancer means are we bringing up a generation of dancers I.e. X factor yuppies!! Brandon got in from hunter s Thompson!

Brandon would surely fall into this category - no? And i'm sure HST is lov-ing the fact he's now immoralised in a killers song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Brandon would surely fall into this category - no? And i'm sure HST is lov-ing the fact he's now immoralised in a killers song.

Brandon hardly falls into the same category as Simon Cowells wannabe's!! Brandon made it himself inspired by good music such as oasis and pet shop boys!! To put them in the same category is not based on their music so you have no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

:eek:
    Do you actually have ears?
    other bands cant be different and successful? what are you on about
    and more to the point, I'd hardly call the killers "different"
    Brandons jacket yes, the band no.

The Killers to me have been a constant disappointment to me since Mr. Brightside - remember hearing this for the first time and going wow, the album was good, but hadnt anything equal to this, then there was Sams Town, which was meh, and now this....

Oh and dont start me on that "cover" of Shadowplay...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Carraigrock

Sorry to disagree with the general mood of this thread, but their new album is excellent.

Losing Touch
    Spaceman
    I Can't Stay (hope evryone will get to the stage of singing along with this)

Two of the best bonus tracks I've heard in a long time -
    A Crippling Blow...in my head already
    Forget about what I said - I can imagine everyone chanting this.

It needs a few listens.
    Give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

still have to listen to it, is it anyway like sam's town cos I'm not too keen on that album?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Day and Age is a pop album, but unlike Hot Fuss it hasn't got that raw edge and it's too slick and perfect but not in a good way. The Killers still don't know themselves as to who or what they are yet! But their producer is all disco and remixes so what did people expect?

I still love them tho - 'I can't stay' is my favourite track so far and it's incredibly catchy but the steel drums just don't seem right! Dave Keuning must have had a lot of time off in the making of this record.

And will someone please tell Brandon for god's sake lose the feathers......!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Oh and dont start me on that "cover" of Shadowplay...:mad:

Please tell me i didn't read that. If it wasn't bad enough that The Killers aren't a bunch of Joy Division wannabes, and now this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

best yet from tham nice ring to it a mix of hot fuss and sam towns . best sons are space man nean tiger human joy ride but if thay whare so bad why do thay sell out evary whare thay go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

xbox36016 wrote: »
    if thay whare so bad why do thay sell out evary whare thay go

Because most people like bad music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

i whant to see than in the academy during the summer and thay whare something else that night got to see jack black that night :eek:

Advertisement