Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPS Class/with other options

• 22-11-2008 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

OK so I've decided to re-roll on a new server with some friends, leveled a pally to 21, and have come to realise they're a load of ****. I didn't really do my research, thought they could be a good DPS class.

What I really want is a class which can do DPS, but also can re-speck as either tank or healer. Coming from being a hunter, it's quite easy to be left out of groups due to lack of abilities.

I wanted to roll a Druid, but if I decided to purely go for DPS, would I be wasting my time? Do they have any good CC? High damage, etc?

I just think Druids look like an awesome class to play, are they fun to level?

It will be either a Druid, Shaman or Mage. I know 3 is a lot to narrow down, but I want to be able to really like playing this character, because I'm not a massive fan of leveling, so only want to do it once!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ok, people here are going to bitch and whine and what not about what I am going to say, same as the children in general channel in any bloody server...

Warrior is now an amazing class for DPS, not just a decent DPS class... I have been in instances with people FOUR levels higher than me and I can make a fool of them. Mages, warlocks, shamans, hunters... You have to know what you are doing, unlike some classes. You need to know rotations, what kind of gear to use. Personally I go for armor ignore. I used to have haste, and I still have my crit gear, but my armor penetration (ignore) is just brilliant. I am only level 74 and I only changed one ring and one trinket for my old gear. I can do anything up to 30% more damage than the next DPSer... I have the right spec and know when to use my cooldowns.

I also see a lot of retri paladins at the top of the DPS meter. I know two on my server that know what they are doing and their gear matches that of anyone else in that raid.

In PVP anything that wears cloth or leather = dead. I struggle against druids, paladins and death knights. Shamans are soso. If you get the interupt in at the right time then you have a good chance. Warlocks are still over powered, I can kill them and their dots can bring me to about 15% or less hp.

Rogues are now a joke, especially if you have your PVP trinket.

Hunters can prove to be a problem if get you first. On the otherhand, if you get one hamstring up on them, they are dead.

Warriors also have the ability to survive, you have all that HP with a nice amount of armor. If you are getting a beating, go to battle stance, equip your shield and run like the wind :)

I hope this helps you somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

Hmm never really considered a warrior to be honest, but you've definitely given me something to think about. I will be mostly using it for pvp, but some PvE also, more than likely instances and 10 mans.

I would love a tanking class, but with the introduction of DK's, I can see them taking over as primary tanking class, even if it's only because of the novelty of having a new class in the game. Also there will never be a shortage of them, seems like half of WoW is leveling one.

Warrior seems like a good choice also because most races have one, with Druid its NE only, and I really really hate them, being former horde, the only class I can really stand are Drenai, since they're new enough.

But yeah I'll definitely look into a warrior, could be a good choice, especially if they kill rogues easily :p

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

TBH mate your best bet is to pick what type/class you wanna play with, because at end game you will only be able to focus on one specc (dmg/tank etc) As performing the role requires more than just your specc, it requires enchants/gear etc. Which dont come cheap/frequently at first, not until you have places on farm.

So just go with what tiddles your fancy the most.

nix wrote: »
    TBH mate your best bet is to pick what type/class you wanna play with, because at end game you will only be able to focus on one specc (dmg/tank etc) As performing the role requires more than just your specc, it requires enchants/gear etc. Which dont come cheap/frequently at first, not until you have places on farm.

So just go with what tiddles your fancy the most.

Hey nix, your right if you only play about an hour a day, but if you play anything like tha average player then you will have no problem getting gear and enchants for all specs.

Ok this is where the bragging come in. I have a 70 warrior and I leveled a hunter VERY casualy over the 2 years in TBC, I have no other alts that are above level 30.

My hunter has T4 and some random heroics and kara gear. He was just for fun (and to kill horde if I was prot with my warrior)

My warrior had a lot of differant sets which I had to farm for. First was the prot gear, T5 and badge gear along with some gear from 25 mans, I had dodge and block gear. I then had a fury set, of which I had 2 sets of gear, one was crit and the other was armor ignore (penetration now) I had an arms set, some from my crit fury gear combined with some haste gear. I had full frost and nature resistance gear and I also have my PVP merci set. I had differant weapons for differant specs, two hander mace axe and sword, fist weapons maces and swords for fury, I had differant shields and swords for tanking, 2 of each.

Everything was fully enchanted with the best of enchants, the more expensive ones. I had a warrior that could go to BT as any spec, what ever we missed the guild payed for my respec and I went as that spec.

The game has changed so much that you can enter an end game instance and never do a 10 man, you can farm heroics and badge gear and be ready for the mediocre 25 mans. SSC/TK back in the day.

If you chose a "hybrid" class like a warrior, which does not have the same gear for healing and dpsing then do not worry about changing spec. At the moment I am using the quest gear to get prot gear while at the same time saving gold and materials for the enchants. Do not enchant something that you might replace in a week or so. By this I mean the blues or the heroic gear. If there is no replacement for you until 25 mans then enchant it. This way you save gold.

I must stress that I am a very casual player, I haven't logged on in about 2 or 3 days. It can be done and without draining your whole life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Wish I was as cool as you!

• Advertisement

Shag off will ya? You can never be as cool as me... anyway if you don't have anything to say, then be my guest and fcuk off...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The only classes that can tank, do dps, or heal are Paladins and Druids. Paladin dps is actually quite good now, and Druids have always been great to play as. Loads of abilities, and the forms are great fun. The simple fact is that you wont be as good at damage/healing/tanking as classes that are designed for that role. There are instances where a Paladin is a better tank then a Warrior, but overall, a Warrior is better. I was Holy for ages once i got to lvl70, and had decent gear which allowed me to be a quite effective healer. But people would still take a priest over a Paladin in a lot of situations. But for sheer adaptability, nothing beats a Paladin.

I'm enjoying being Ret with my Paladin atm. Very nice burst damage with the plain quest gear at the start of Northrend. I literally never die (well, against npc's that is).
    ...I must stress that I am a very casual player...
    Hah! Thats the funniest thing i've ever heard you say. You, casual....brilliant :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

W1llz0rz wrote: »
    I didn't really do my research, thought they could be a good DPS class.

they are a good dps class, you obviously didnt do your research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

Sorry, I meant for leveling. Like it takes ages to kill any mob, granted I can take on 3/4 at a time and loose hardly any health.

I hate leveling, and need something to keep me amused, and since pally's seem to have about....ohhhh.... 4 abilities so far, think I'll steer clear, already super bored with that class. Druid is going great though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Would definitely go for a druid if you are going for versatility, Tank, melee dps/ magic dps / healing. Can basically do it all really.

Personally still unconvinced about feral druid dps though, haven't seen any at 80 who have been able to cut it dps wise though its definitely better than they were at 70, though their rebirth and innervate makes up for it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement