Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gallas finally relieved of duties, what now for the Gunners?

• 22-11-2008 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

Ssn has just reported that william gallas has been stripped of the captaincy and will not play against Man City. Things have really gone from bad to worse for the Gunners this season. What now for the gunners?? Anybody think that Aresnal may not even finish in a top four spot this season??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mormank wrote: »
    Ssn has just reported that william gallas has been stripped of the captaincy and will not play against Man City. Things have really gone from bad to worse for the Gunners this season. What now for the gunners?? Anybody think that Aresnal may not even finish in a top four spot this season??

I could well see a possibility where Arsenal dont finish in the top four.
    In a sense you could argue they are lucky to be in the top four at the moment. If Aston Villa hadnt dropped some softish points, they would be ahead of Arsenal at the moment. Also if Everton can keep going the way they are and keep Saha and Yak fit they would have to be considered to be in with a shout as well. I cant see Hull managing to stay up there and cant see anyone else e.g. Boro, Porstmouth getting into a serious battle for forth

Arsenal have dropped a fair few points to lesser teams and I can see them continuing to do this for the rest of the season. I'm not saying they are a bad team but there seems to be a definite lack of leadership there (even leading Gallas aside) and I really don't fancy them in the second half of the season if things continue the way they are going.

Fourth place isnt an automatic right and I'd imagine O'Neill and Moyes at Everton will be seriously gunning for it. I'd probably fancy Villa to get it ahead of Everton slightly but a lot depends on injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I could well see a possibility where Arsenal dont finish in the top four.
    In a sense you could argue they are lucky to be in the top four at the moment. If Aston Villa hadnt dropped some softish points, they would be ahead of Arsenal at the moment. Also if Everton can keep going the way they are and keep Saha and Yak fit they would have to be considered to be in with a shout as well. I cant see Hull managing to stay up there and cant see anyone else e.g. Boro, Porstmouth getting into a serious battle for forth

Arsenal have dropped a fair few points to lesser teams and I can see them continuing to do this for the rest of the season. I'm not saying they are a bad team but there seems to be a definite lack of leadership there (even leading Gallas aside) and I really don't fancy them in the second half of the season if things continue the way they are going.

Fourth place isnt an automatic right and I'd imagine O'Neill and Moyes at Everton will be seriously gunning for it. I'd probably fancy Villa to get it ahead of Everton slightly but a lot depends on injuries.

Keep Saha fit!

ROTFL110x85.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You know that little mini-league that people go on about, the "top 4" thing.

Do results against Arsenal, or Villa count for that?

Keep Saha fit!

ROTFL110x85.gif

Well surely he's due a run of games where he doesnt get injured by now?

Shirley?

Des wrote: »

I presume that currently people would consider Arsenal in it for this year as they finished in the top four last year but if Villa or Everton finished in fourth (or higher:eek:) this season they would be considered part of it next year.

However if Arsenal dropped down the table to eighth or thereabouts twould all be a bit silly.

Or maybe pundits would start going on about a top five or maybe even top six?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

I wouldn't take a lot out of what has been heard so far from the media. Gallas was suppossed to have offered up the captaincy last night. It may still be a slap on the wrist for him today. I still have a feeling he will remain as Arsenal captain. Of course things may change and he may leave the club for PSG in January or over the summer. I hope not. He is very right in what he says. Everybody giving out about Gallas saying some his performances haven't been great recently. Maybe it's due to the fact he has been doing 3-4 other players work. Incidentially Roy Keane has come out and unofficially backed Gallas in his outburst. We all know what happened when Roy spoke out. They are both warriors and give their all on the pitch. Arsenal need to work hard to get the ball back when they do not have it. Let's try and lay off Gallas until we hear something official instead of innuendo and speculation.

DenMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't take a lot out of what has been heard so far from the media. Gallas was suppossed to have offered up the captaincy last night. It may still be a slap on the wrist for him today. I still have a feeling he will remain as Arsenal captain. Of course things may change and he may leave the club for PSG in January or over the summer. I hope not. He is very right in what he says. Everybody giving out about Gallas saying some his performances haven't been great recently. Maybe it's due to the fact he has been doing 3-4 other players work. Incidentially Roy Keane has come out and unofficially backed Gallas in his outburst. We all know what happened when Roy spoke out. They are both warriors and give their all on the pitch. Arsenal need to work hard to get the ball back when they do not have it. Let's try and lay off Gallas until we hear something official instead of innuendo and speculation.

Given the BBC are reporting it using the word stripped and that they are reporting Gallas is at the Arsenal training camp this morning, as opposed to travelling to Manchester, it does look to be more than a slap on the wrists.

I think we can assume it's more than just tabloid rag speculation when the BBC are using language like "stripped"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Des wrote: »

Well at any rate, Arsenal are still currently in fourth so what's your point?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

well villa are in 4th now so whats ur point???:P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They don't refer to the mini-league of a the 'top 4', they refer to the mini-league fo the 'big 4', although I think you know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Didn't see the match yesterday. Was Gallas missed?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's a better defender than Silvestre so I'd imagine so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What exactly did Gallas do? They mentioned it on MOTD last night but not what he did, nice of them to assume everyone already knows about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Released an autobiography.

Think he ripped a lot of the lads out of it. Also told about a player still at the club who he didn't like and called him 'Player S'.

Supposedly it's Samir Nasri. Gallas is a goon and the quicker he's out of the Premiership the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SantryRed wrote: »
    Released an autobiography.

Think he ripped a lot of the lads out of it. Also told about a player still at the club who he didn't like and called him 'Player S'.

Supposedly it's Samir Nasri. Gallas is a goon and the quicker he's out of the Premiership the better.

Actually the Nasri incident relates to an incident before he joined Arsenal in the Frech squad.

You know Gallas has done a very similar thing to what keane used to do at man utd and we had none of the fuss when he did it. That said I don't like to see this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Oh right, didn't know all the facts.

I know Keane used to do it as well but I respect Keane. Gallas on the other hand, is an arsehole of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It is because it was done and became public. Same with Keane on MUTV (although was not broadcast he obviously thought it would and United blocked it) A player cannot publicly criticise his teammates by name in public and expect the club to support him. Although after seeing Gallas sitting in the centre circle last season I thought the guy had pyschological issue's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sitting in centre circle when he should be outside the box preparing to defend a possible penalty rebound, yelling at Touré when he makes a mistake himself, smoking cigarettes, hanging the other players out to dry in order to sell more books...
    Great captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You know Gallas has done a very similar thing to what keane used to do at man utd and we had none of the fuss when he did it. That said I don't like to see this sort of thing.

People might give Gallas a bit more leeway if he had been anywhere near as effective a leader as Keane had been over the years, as it is Galvasean is pretty much spot on with his summing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

lets look again in January. missing Adebeyor , gallas, fabregas, walcott, Sagna yesterday. if we can find a decent centre half in January. If they pulled off the transfer of alonso during summer how things might be so differnt!
    i have faith in wenger, hell get them out of this one as well.

• Advertisement

Haha damn I knew after i posted that they'd **** up and lose 4th.:pac:
    Anyway as others have said we'll see at the end of the season who the top 4 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

People might give Gallas a bit more leeway if he had been anywhere near as effective a leader as Keane had been over the years, as it is Galvasean is pretty much spot on with his summing up.

I take that point, just feel the media have gone overboard on the whole issue. Gallas will be gone by the start of nxt season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

tred wrote: »
    missing Adebeyor , gallas, fabregas, walcott, Sagna yesterday.

More than that. We could nearly make up a (very strong) side from the 1st team players that were missing against City.

GK??

Sagna, Toure, Gallas, LB????,

Eboué, Fabregas, Rosicky, Walcott,

Eduardo --- Adebayor.

Throw in a goalie and a left back and you have a very strong looking team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Throw in Traore sure, he's still an Arsenal player but is currently unavailable.

And sure the reserve keeper Szcesny or whatever his name is broke both his arms the other day too so throw him in

And hold on, according to the beeb Fabregas is now captain! Just noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

playa3 wrote: »
    And hold on, according to the beeb Fabregas is now captain! Just noticed

DITTO!!! just saw it on Sky Sports News, happy days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Galvasean wrote: »
    More than that. We could nearly make up a (very strong) side from the 1st team players that were missing against City.

GK??

Sagna, Toure, Gallas, LB????,

Eboué, Fabregas, Rosicky, Walcott,

Eduardo --- Adebayor.

Throw in a goalie and a left back and you have a very strong looking team.

100 percent agree. you dont hear ex arsenal players on skysports bringing this up when jumping down on the current crop of players. Merson starting to annoy my head lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I saw this on Saturday, tbh i wasn't suprised i was disgusted that he said all those things to the press.
    Who the hell does he think he is, he's the captain not the owner! I have been nagging about him for the last two years
    because i think he's a **** captain and now i have to say i am happy to see the back of him, although leaving the team is would be OTT.
    I think he has learnt his lesson!

Captain Fab!

God that made my day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement