Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Fulham [Match Thread]

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

YAY

DRAW :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lucas and Masch has no balance. That seems to go for anyone plus Lucas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Great point for Fulham, but were those boos from the Pool fans at the end? Hope not aimed at the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    Sighs.....so a great chance blown. I'm willing to say arrogence was the issue here "oh its only Fulham". Alonso should have started if you lead by say 2 after 60 then you can make subs with some latitude, trying to change things late on with subs is harder.

Mike

Yup

Gah Newcastle do us a favour and we fail to capitalise :(

How up for the Villa game will Utd be now ? great chance for them to cut the gap:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

:( 2 points dropped and if utd win today they will be only 6 points behind with a game in hand. Chelsea (luckily) dropping points today makes this draw even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PiE wrote: »
    Gah.

tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

well that was great.

flat and sloppy up front. why did we take off reira? he looked the most likely to create for torres.
    keane did a deadly disappearing act there for the last 30 minutes, proving once again that he was not worth £20m. kuyt was well, kuyt. torres looked likely if he was to get space. lucas actually played pretty well.
    overall - toothless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Robbie Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Very poor today, Benitez shows he won't be dictated too by crowd by leaving Lucas on. Saying that nobody played well today lets hope Fulham can perform like this elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gernon wrote: »
    Saying that nobody played well today.

I thought Alonso was fantastic when he came on. Should have been on from the start and it may have been a different result. I'm all for giving Lucas game time, but its retarded to do it when Gerrard is out & with Alonso on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tusky wrote: »
    I thought Alonso was fantastic when he came on. Should have been on from the start and it may have been a different result. I'm all for giving Lucas game time, but its retarded to do it when Gerrard is out & with Alonso on the bench.

It was obvious that Alonso not starting and eventually replacing Masch was as a result of the matches that both players played midweek.

Saying that it is retarded is on par with some of the nonsense that would come out of the mouth of Dunphy or Dolan.

Playing Lucas for the 90 mins made pretty good sense when you actually consider facts. You rating him or not is irrelevent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It was obvious that Alonso not starting and eventually replacing Masch was as a result of the matches that both players played midweek.

Saying that it is retarded is on par with some of the nonsense that would come out of the mouth of Dunphy or Dolan.

Playing Lucas for the 90 mins made pretty good sense when you actually consider facts. You rating him or not is irrelevent.

One of those "things" being the result?

It was the basics that let us down today - some of the passing was woeful. Calls for re-attmepts of the signing of Barry? Or at least an another attackign midfielder for situations like these.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Really disappointed that Rafa left Xabi on the bench. Was he saving him for Wednesday. Surely, today was more important. We hadn't enough threat up forward. We didn't work the keeper enough. Anyway, we plough on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so you'd prefer to give Lucas time instead of Alonso/Gerrard when they are both fit and leave one out of the match squad?

i'm confused,surely today was the perfect time to give Lucas a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

This is going to end in disaster.

Chelsea will win and Liverpool will loose.

Mike

well the worst didnt happen, so lets not lose heart here. last season we were losing the games after the international breaks...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mr Alan wrote: »
    so you'd prefer to give Lucas time instead of Alonso/Gerrard when they are both fit and leave one out of the match squad?

qft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

well the worst didnt happen, so lets not lose heart here. last season we were losing the games after the international breaks...
    Indeed, phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd prefer Alonso to have started, either this is the year for a tilt at the Premier League title or its not, the CL can go f*ck itself or indeed Lucas could play against Marseille. I know which game I'd sooner draw/loose.

Mike

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    One of those "things" being the result?

It was the basics that let us down today - some of the passing was woeful. Calls for re-attmepts of the signing of Barry? Or at least an another attackign midfielder for situations like these.

Lucas is our 4th choice midfielder. I am not wholey convinced by him but he is good enough to play Fulham. Too much focus is always placed on the wrong things, whether is be Lucas, rotation, zonal marking, Gerard out of position or whatever else.

I would be more concerned about the dribbling ability of Torres, Keane's passing or Babel's lack of ball control than I would be about Lucas' peformance. There is two 20+ million rated players in there and another than people here are adament should be playing a bigger part in our season.

We simply weren't good enough today. It just didn't happen on the pitch and there was a weird atmosphere in the crowd. I would have liked a win but a draw is not the end of the world.

I would still like Barry to be signed. Or a player of his ilk and level.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Really disappointed that Rafa left Xabi on the bench. Was he saving him for Wednesday. Surely, today was more important. We hadn't enough threat up forward. We didn't work the keeper enough. Anyway, we plough on.

Alonso was not rest for the match coming up this Wednesday. Masch was not taken off the save him for the match coming up this Wednesday. One was rested and eventually replaced the other as a result of their participation in an internation friendly last Wednesday.

Come on people, it isn't exactly hard to work out.

Yep. Lucas obviously isnt ready for the role he played today. I think he needs to play alongside Alonso or Gerrard until he develops. I like Lucas and thought he played well in the second half when Alonso came on.

Again, I'm all for giving him game time, but if Gerrard isnt playing, we need need Alonsos creativity. To leave him on the bench today was a big mistake. The game changed the instant he came on.
    but he is good enough to play Fulham.

Liverpool 0 - 0 Fulham

No top manager is going to play his best players every week throughout the season, occassionally people will be rested-its just a feature of the modern game.

If people expect the likes of Alonso/Torres/Keane/Gerrard not to be rested at any point during the season, they are deluded-its rare that it happens, but it will happen, Fulham at home with a midfield two of Mascherano & Lucas and Alonso & Lucas for a half hour, really should be enough.

By the way, i actually though Lucas was very good in the second half.

Tusky;as for the game changing the instant he came on-i dont buy that, we were always the better team, and he did well when he came on, but lets not pretend we were constantly knocking at the door with his creative brilliance, i cant think of a single chance tbh!

Simple truth is, our players on the pitch just didnt perform well enough-it happens.

we're lucky that Chelsea were held by Newcastle.

Liverpool 0 - 0 Fulham

Are you actually implying that the selection of Lucas was responsible for the poor performance and result today?

I am more inclined to blame Keane for being incapable of putting away the best oppurtunity of the match and being responsible for about 9 attacking moves breaking down by under hitting his pass. Torres for loosing the ball about 10 times when trying to dribble past players. Babel, who most argue should be given more game time, coming on with 20 mins to play and doing absolutely nothing of any use at all.

Saying that, a number of problems today were responsible for the result. Singling out a player, rotation, zonal marking or whatever other single issue that you mihgt have is pointless.

Mr Alan, Keane can be rested as much as Rafa might like.

Mike

• Advertisement

Fair enough Mike :) i think ya love him really though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lucas is our 4th choice midfielder. I am not wholey convinced by him but he is good enough to play Fulham. Too much focus is always placed on the wrong things, whether is be Lucas, rotation, zonal marking, Gerard out of position or whatever else.

I would be more concerned about the dribbling ability of Torres, Keane's passing or Babel's lack of ball control than I would be about Lucas' peformance. There is two 20+ million rated players in there and another than people here are adament should be playing a bigger part in our season.

We simply weren't good enough today. It just didn't happen on the pitch and there was a weird atmosphere in the crowd. I would have liked a win but a draw is not the end of the world.

I would still like Barry to be signed. Or a player of his ilk and level.

A LOT of people's passing, to be fair, based on today. I agree, like everyone else, I'd have preferred Alonso to have started, but we need some more creative sparks to mastermind a plan B when plan A isn't working. That's why we weren;t good enough today.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No top manager is going to play his best players every week throughout the season, occassionally people will be rested-its just a feature of the modern game.

I'm not saying players shouldn't be rested. Im saying that Alonso shouldn't be rested while Gerrard is out injured.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    A LOT of people's passing, to be fair, based on today. I agree, like everyone else, I'd have preferred Alonso to have started, but we need some more creative sparks to mastermind a plan B when plan A isn't working. That's why we weren;t good enough today.

I agree completely. We had enough quality on the pitch to beat Fulham. It was just a bad performance.

I'm not saying players shouldn't be rested. Im saying that Alonso shouldn't be rested while Gerrard is out injured.

i'd hazard a guess, you'd also say Mascherano shouldnt be rested if he had have done that and we dropped points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The problem isn't with rotating itself, everyone has to do that. It's how and when you rotate. That's where Rafa seems to fall down compared to other managers.

Still, Chelsea dropped points too so it wasn't too bad in the end. Could have been way worse.

Fulham at home is as good a time as any to rotate.

exactly, lucky with Chelsea dropping points too-really think the top clubs are gonna drop more points this season than in the last few.

We're all Vilians for now!

Mike

Fulham at home is as good a time as any to rotate.

not if u dont get 3 points from it its not.

that said i dont think the lucas/alonso thing made much of a difference today at all. we were terrible in the final 3rd and extremely sloppy. anyone see robbie keane today? hide and seek champion for 2008 so far

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I don't care about this result any more, we're still joint top and we're still 5-8 points ahead of United. I would've taken that his morning. Bring on Marseilles. Yayz.

We were lucky today that neither chelsea or utd capitalised on our draw, two points dropped still at the end of the day.

darkskol wrote: »
    We were lucky today that neither chelsea or utd capitalised on our draw, two points dropped still at the end of the day.

United were lucky today that neither chelsea or liverpool capitalised on the draw, two points dropped still at the end of the day.

Chelsea were lucky today that neither United or liverpool capitalised on the draw, two points dropped still at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mayordenis wrote: »
    United were lucky today that neither chelsea or liverpool capitalised on the draw, two points dropped still at the end of the day.

Chelsea were lucky today that neither United or liverpool capitalised on the draw, two points dropped still at the end of the day.

QFT

Exactly horses for courses

Everyone is lucky, hurrah! :D Except that come May we might find those two extra points are the difference between 1st and nowhere.

Mike

• Advertisement

Except that come May we might find those two extra points are the difference between 1st and nowhere.

Except that come May Utd might find those two extra points are the difference between 1st and nowhere.

Except that come May Chelsea might find those two extra points are the difference between 1st and nowhere.

-come on mike, you get the idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

you are missing the point. /slowclap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

ziggy wrote: »

yup. you create your own luck. apparantly 0-0 at home to fulham is good enough for aside going up against chelski and utd for the title. my f**ken ass it is

Advertisement