Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soll - Austria

• 22-11-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

New to the Winter Sports forum, just wondering if anyone can help me out.
    Looking at a week skiing at start of March for a group of 4, beginner to low intermediate level.

Got a good price for flights and accommodation, just wondering what the snow conditions are like there?
    I know its not high altitude, so less guaranteed, but as its the start of March is it more likely to be better conditions?

Also, from what I've seen here and elsewhere, reviews seem to say its good for intermediates but ranges from only ok to good for beginners. Anyone got first hand experience on it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Hey Spurscormac,

I was in Soll with a group of approx15 people in early march 2007. Big enough ski area as it joined a few other resorts if I remember correctly(think this could have involved a bit of off piste) but you could go exploring for the day and not have to repeat the same slopes. However the snow was whoeful when I was there(saying that 06/07 season in some of alps that year wasnt the best I dont think anyway), the whole lower section of the mountain was closed as there was not an inch of snow in the lower altitudes and what was open was very thin. We actually got taxi's to a higher resort(can't remember the name) about 50 mins away for two of the days for better conditions. I do remember the begginners being very very limited slope wise(Im pretty sure just 1/2 blue's open), especially as the lower slopes were all closed and that is where most of the blues were.

Dont know if any of that helps but that was my experience of Soll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

On a normal year it is more than adequate for beginners. You will probably only need a local pass (Söll only) for the first 3/4 days. After that you can upgrade if you've bought a package pass or buy a full resort pass (there's only a few € difference. If you're a beginner this resort is more than big enough. For intermediates it's probably ok too - although some of the runs tend to be quite short which for me at least gets annoying (i'm an advanced intermediate).

The town of Söll itself is 90% Irish or English. You'll either like that or hate it.
    In the same area (all connected by pistes) is Brixental (full of english), Westendorf (english and irish), Ellmau (more family orientated, mostly english speaking) and other villages that I don't know much about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here is the historical snow reports for Soll:

http://www.igluski.com/austria/soll-snow-history_23493

I've added a link to the Iglu snow reports to the FAQ as well.

Imposter wrote: »
    On a normal year it is more than adequate for beginners. .

Yeah I thought so much, I figured most of the beginners choices were limited due to lower pistes being closed. I think I was just unlucky with the snow the year I went. Small enough town, night life was good craic, but as imposter said its 90% Irish/English, which suited the kind of gang I was with and the type of holiday we wanted at the time, but it may not be suited to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I'm not too bothered about where others are from.

Suppose with any lower altitude resort you're gonna have to take some sort of a chance, but 2007 was one of the worst ever, wasn't it ?

I think we'll take the good prices & deal with what we find when we get there.
    Suppose if its looking awful nearer the time, we could give up our accomodation and go elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I'm not too bothered about where others are from.

Suppose with any lower altitude resort you're gonna have to take some sort of a chance, but 2007 was one of the worst ever, wasn't it ?

I think we'll take the good prices & deal with what we find when we get there.
    Suppose if its looking awful nearer the time, we could give up our accomodation and go elsewhere.

Yeah I just had very bad luck going when I did, it was a very bad year. I wouldnt let it put you off too much, especially with snowfalls so good all ready this year, hopefully the season will be a cracker!
    Good luck...:D

Advertisement