Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question of logic

Options
  • 22-11-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I wonder and its just hypothetical, how common sense would win out over prejudice when applying for a licence. For my e.g. ill be using the hotly contested .223

Tom has a .22lr for 2years, mr foxy is getting a bit too wiley and he needs abit more range. Now with out question Tom could go off, trade in his trusty .22lr and within a week or two walk away with a .22 swift....

What im wondering is if you put together a fact sheet whe going down to your fao to get things changed over, with ballistics, velocities and pics (because well, lets not boggle them with data:D:D:D cheap but fair lol)

Do you think rational and reason would win out over the inherent idiocy of our licnecing system!!!!

(.223 2nd from left, .220 swift righthand side)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Just dont let him see a .22 next to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

No I wouldn't do that-- if you supply to much info your just clouding the issue.
    In my case the first Super, he was moved to Naas, would not give out any licenses for anything above and including a 22 swift. It be would though the courts if you wanted to go that route to get a license. In my option most Supers don't know a lot about firearms anyway so just keep to the basics.

When the new Super came I just applied for a license for my 223 as normal but I did provide a valid reason for needing/wanting this calbre rifle.

Application letter went:-

Dear Superintendent xxxxxxxxx,

I wish to apply for a gun license for my CZ Brno .223 rifle that I have purchased from xxxxxxx gun dealers, xxxxxxx, Kilkenny. This gun will be used for target practice, F Class competition, recreational and vermin shooting.

I am a member of the Midland National Shooting Centre of Ireland, Derrymore, Blueball, Tullamore, Co. Offaly. The Midland National Shooting Centre of Ireland caters for Rim-fire and Full-bore rifle target and competition shooting on ranges from 50m to 600m.

This gun will kept in a secure gun safe that has a 5 lever security lock with a 5 bolt double throw deadbolt locking system. This gun safe is hidden and bolted to a solid concrete internal wall.

A home security house alarm system is installed on my house at the above address.
    I hope these measures that I have taken will meet your requirements for the safe and secure storage of this gun for public safety.

The license was approved but I'm still waiting for the license to come back from Mary in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

it was just a hypothetical, but i see where your coming from i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I was in Bisley a couple of weeks ago with members of the VCRAI and we went around all the ranges to see how they do it in the UK.

On one of the Ranges we seen some Gentlemen shooting Muzzle Loading duelling Pistols large calibre.

Here is the question ? which of the two would be the more lethal with in a given range modern .22 bullet or .40 Cal muzzle loaded Ball.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Sikamick wrote: »
    I was in Bisley a couple of weeks ago with members of the VCRAI and we went around all the ranges to see how they do it in the UK.

On one of the Ranges we seen some Gentlemen shooting Muzzle Loading duelling Pistols large calibre.

Here is the question ? which of the two would be the more lethal with in a given range modern .22 bullet or .40 Cal muzzle loaded Ball.

Sikamick

I think you'll find the answer is, pouring petrol through their letterbox.

Can we expect the minister to ban petrol?

• Advertisement
Advertisement