Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone going to The Thing with Otomo Yoshihide tonight?

• 22-11-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Anyone else going tonight? Got tickets the other day without really giving them a proper listen, I know it's going to be a gig I won't forget in a hurry anyway. Has anyone seen them play before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

How did the gig go? Played some of their stuff on my program yesterday, and spoke about the gig in brief - the scandanavians are memorable definately, whether what they do is everyone's cup of tea or not is another matter! At least they are creative and unique... as for the turntablist, not that familier with his own music, except for the promo CD I was sent, a very exciting combination for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

How did the gig go?

!

Will write a more detailed description tomorrow when I'm less tired, but that about sums it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Arrgh, I really wanted to go to this... I didn't have a clue about the gig until I spotted a poster about it in Road Records. Had to cancel the plan when I was asked to babysit a baby cousin of mine. >_>
    Can't wait to hear how it went, Daddio!

Sorry about the delay saruwatari! The gig was fantastic. The gig opened with the trio on stage, suddenly bursting into relentessly aggressive improvisation. Very powerful music indeed, and very very loud (IMC were giving out free ear-plugs for anyone who valued their eardrums, but using them completely broke the physical connection I had with the music. If you go to the Thing, you have to be hardcore :p) Otomo Yoshihide did a set next, which was one of the most important sonic adventures I've yet been on. Fascinating experience, still haven't fully worked through it in my mind yet but I know it's already had a great influence on my college work.

After that The Thing returned, and collaborated with Otomo Yoshihide. My favourite parts of the night were actually the few times the improvisation lowered into the realms of ambient/landscape style sounds with double-bass feedback and percussion bells etc. All in all, a great gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Holy crap, it sounds BLOODY FANTASTIC. Especially the part you mentioned in the last para, I lurve landscape/field-recording style ambient. I can't believe I missed them... I hope they'll play here sometime again in the future...
    BTW, how long did they play for, and was there much of a turnout? Thanks dude

• Advertisement

I think it went on for at least an hour and a half. The Thing's first set went on for a half hour, Otomo Yoshihide's first set for about the same, then interval+collaboration was about 45mins to an hour. The encore was great aswell. The four of them walked out, looked at each other, went mad for 5 minutes, then stopped very suddenly in unison, bowed and left. There was a reasonably good turn out I think, the venue looked busy anyway. Don't know how many tickets were left though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Buttlum-Fem

:mad: Dam, im annoyed i missed this. Were was it on?? I need to keep my ear to the ground more often to hear about these gigs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

Noticed a poster in the Tower Records Jazz section yesterday evening that advertised an in store performance before the gig, was anybody at that? I didn’t know about it. I was at the gig in Andrews Lane, I hate to rub salt in the wounds of the above poster but it was incredible.

Advertisement