Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagles puppies in Dublin

Options
  • 22-11-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting a beagle puppy in or around the Dublin area. Seem to be having a hard time trying to find someone selling pups

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

We just bought a beagle puppy but it was in the carlow area. we got her off donedeal.ie seems to be the best site for them....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

We just bought a beagle puppy but it was in the carlow area. we got her off donedeal.ie seems to be the best site for them....:D

and puppy farmers too :D

OP, the only way to know you are going to a decent breeder if get some recommendations from the breed club/secretary and check out the place yourself. you could also go to a couple of dog shows and ask people showing beagles about where they got theirs from etc. kennels should be perfect, dogs all healthy etc. breeder should have no problem with letting you check out the place. if anybody suggests delivering a dog, run a mile! also beagles probably come up from time to time in rescue so if you'd consider adopting keep an eye on sites such as www.irishanimals.ie and http://petsireland.invisionzone.com

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

As soon as I wrote this topic I ended up finding donedeal and I think I know the guy you bought your puppy from...cause I bought one from a breeder out there this afternoon.

Cutest little thing too

Thanks for the replies guys :)

They really are cute... was the place you went to really at the back arse of nowhere?? only problem we have with ours is she cries during the night every two hours or so!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

As soon as I wrote this topic I ended up finding donedeal and I think I know the guy you bought your puppy from...cause I bought one from a breeder out there this afternoon.

Cutest little thing too

Thanks for the replies guys :)

So you've done all the necessary research? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

whats the difference between a beagle and foot beagle?anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

LeahBaby wrote: »
    whats the difference between a beagle and foot beagle?anyone know?
    a foot beagle is a small beagle bred from a hunting strain.

Sounds like a very well thought out decision. :rolleyes: click donedeal, oh yay, a breeder, lets go buy the puppy. Hopefully you at least checked out the place? Impulse buying isn't a good thing when it comes to a living creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

Well i have done my research and have decided that a beagle would be a great addition to my family of 1 wife, 2 kids, 1 golden retriever, 1 tabby cat and 8 freshwater fish. Only problem is that any of the pups I've seen in my area(Limerick) cost over €500! I was hoping to pay a little less so if anyone has any leads(pardon the pun) I'd appreciate your help! It doens't have to be registered but certainly pure bred would be great. TA!

Magicman, why not consider a rescue instead? Greyhounds make a great pet for a family with children and another dog as they are so good tempered.

• Advertisement

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Magicman, why not consider a rescue instead? Greyhounds make a great pet for a family with children and another dog as they are so good tempered.

I completely agree. There is no need to spend any money if the dog is just a family pet. If you're 100% set on a pure breed (don't know why you would be), but you can get purebreed pups in a shelter - and of course greyhounds are purebred, healthy and make fantastic family pets. They won't cost you 500 quid either. You'd be doing a great service in rescuing one rather than supporting breeders who might not be above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Sounds like a very well thought out decision. :rolleyes: click donedeal, oh yay, a breeder, lets go buy the puppy. Hopefully you at least checked out the place? Impulse buying isn't a good thing when it comes to a living creature.

I agree, i've had a beagle for the past 5 years or so. He's totally great and everything, but we're lucky to live well out in the countryside as 1. he needs walking miles everyday to get rid of pent up energy and 2. beagles howl instead of barking really so if you live in an estate your neighbours might not be very pleased with your choice of pet! And it would be so sad if you had to give him away or bring him to a shelter if his requirements didn't fit in with your situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

totally agree there are plenty of pure breed dogs in rescues and you could be saving a dogs life by taking 1 home,save youself the money and save a dog

Firstly apologies to the OP if it appears that I've hijacked this thread. And Secondly, thanks for everyone's advice. The fact is, we do live in the countryside so there is ample space for the whatever dog we do decide to get. We never set perameters on our animals because luckily we don't need to, as there are no main roads close so minimal chance of getting knocked down.

The dog I am looking for certainly does not have to be pure bred so I would be completely open to a rescue dog. It just seems that the family have their hearts set on a beagle puppy. We have a friend who did pay a fortune for their one and it is the most loveable little pet imaginable.

I think we'll have to do like they do in Home and Away and have a family meeting to discuss the issue further! Thanks again for the advice:D

Magicman1 wrote: »
    We never set perameters on our animals because luckily we don't need to, as there are no main roads close so minimal chance of getting knocked down.

Beagles are hunting dogs, and will follow a scent to the ends of the earth. If you're not going to confine the dog with a fence, then I wouldn't recommend this breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'll have to second this. Once our fella gets a scent, he becomes deaf, blind and stupid. He doesn't hear us, never mind a car. We have to keep him in a pen at the house, even when we're there. The only time he's off leash is in fields that are well fenced, and this is only a recent development.

deemark wrote: »
    I'll have to second this. Once our fella gets a scent, he becomes deaf, blind and stupid. He doesn't hear us, never mind a car. We have to keep him in a pen at the house, even when we're there. The only time he's off leash is in fields that are well fenced, and this is only a recent development.

Totally agree. It's a bit naive to think that he won't wander off if there are no parameters set. Also if you have kids, they could get very attached only to be disappointed when the poor dog gets knocked down and killed. Maybe it's time to put up fences???

yellowcurl wrote: »
    Totally agree. It's a bit naive to think that he won't wander off if there are no parameters set. Also if you have kids, they could get very attached only to be disappointed when the poor dog gets knocked down and killed. Maybe it's time to put up fences???

Thanks for all the advice folks but certainly don't need to put up fences where I am. Might have to rethink the type of puppy though if a beagle becomes zombified by scent and heads for the hills! I'm going to the shelter on Monday evening to see if anything there suits us. Not going to bring the wife or kids though coz they'll want one of each!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Thanks for all the advice folks but certainly don't need to put up fences where I am. Might have to rethink the type of puppy though if a beagle becomes zombified by scent and heads for the hills! I'm going to the shelter on Monday evening to see if anything there suits us. Not going to bring the wife or kids though coz they'll want one of each!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but no shelter worth it's salt will re-home a dog to you if you do not have a safe and secure garden to put it in.

If you are serious about getting a family pet then just make sure they are safe and can't wander by putting up some fencing if you can, you and they will be a lot happier knowing they are safe and can't get out to roam the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Well, if he goes to the pound they won't do a homecheck so would most likely be allowed to take a dog.

But I agree, be responsible and put up fencing :rolleyes:

Also, you say earlier in the thread that you did your research and believed a beagle was the dog for you. I'm not beign smart but you seem to have missed out on a fundamental trait of the beagle in relation to them being hunting dogs and following a scent.

Just in general and not specifically related to you, I don't understand this lark of allowing children to dictate what dog someone gets for the family. I firmly believe the adult needs to make the decision as to what dog is suitable for their set-up and then maybe give the kids a choice between a couple of pre-decided ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Wont all dogs wander off given free access - I dont think this is comfined to beagles.
    I certainly wouldn't re-home to a garden that was not secure or to a home with no boundaries

Thanks for all the advice folks but certainly don't need to put up fences where I am.

Are you planning to tie the dog up or something? It just doesn't make sense that you wouldn't put up fences for their protection, and for the protection of neighbouring animals, sheep etc. If a completely harmless dog gets out and wanders amongst some sheep and gives them a bit of a scare, a farmer will shoot on sight. Not fair to your kids who become attached to the puppy and then have this happen to it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

It was. I researched the breed well before I even looked for a dog to make sure she would be comfortable and happy with my situation, I travelled out there and visited them and saw the pups parents and, checked her papers and she had been wormed and had her innoculations. Spent about an hour with the guy and his daugther and they were very nice and helpful

So yeah it was well thought out and executed :)

I agree with terrynova! I got one of the puppies off the same breeder. I had to see the puppies parents and all the papers. Just because it's on donedeal doesn't make it a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

IMAG0037.jpg

Got 2 Beagle pups recently (through DoneDeal.ie)

Smaller darker one is the Foot Beagle, Lighter and larger one is the hound beagle
    (In case anyone was looking for the differences)

They have to stay indoors until they are at least 5 months old. As they are very suseptable to the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Well i have done my research and have decided that a beagle would be a great addition to my family of 1 wife, 2 kids, 1 golden retriever, 1 tabby cat and 8 freshwater fish. Only problem is that any of the pups I've seen in my area(Limerick) cost over €500! I was hoping to pay a little less so if anyone has any leads(pardon the pun) I'd appreciate your help! It doens't have to be registered but certainly pure bred would be great. TA!

I actually thought this was a piss-take of people who come on and cheerily ask some naive questions about buying puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Vel wrote: »

Just in general and not specifically related to you, I don't understand this lark of allowing children to dictate what dog someone gets for the family. I firmly believe the adult needs to make the decision as to what dog is suitable for their set-up and then maybe give the kids a choice between a couple of pre-decided ones.

I could not agree more, I would like to take this post and nail it to my neighbours front door, they let their teenage daughter decide she wanted a puppy, a puppy who I found on the main road on Sunday morning because someone had got up, let him out and they have no fencing and no gate, he let me pick him up, put him in my car, I could have been halfway to any puppy farm in the country (he is not neutered yet) by the time they realised he was gone. And he is a beagle 'pure bred' they paid 200 euro for him, obviously they did a lot of research. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

the op is looking foe a beagle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement