Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Options
  • 22-11-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

hi guys

i've been invited to an amateur production of the rocky horror picture show. now i've heard of it, of course. but i've never actually seen it.
    has anyone seen this show?
    would you recommend it?
    can you tell me anything about it?
    or will i be bored to tears?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Run. Run for your very life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Whether you'll be bored or not depends entirely on whether you actually like musicals or not!

It's one of the more...unusual musicals I suppose. Sure go! You can always leave at the interval if you really want to kill yourself.

Might I ask where this is on?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Most productions of RHPS involve a certain amount of audience participation, just so you are informed. You will most likely have to do the timewarp. Again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's a sexual science fiction horror musical, whats not to like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Mcfast

used to be on in the classic in harolds cross.think its gone now though

• Advertisement

Mcfast wrote: »
    used to be on in the classic in harolds cross.think its gone now though

Yeah, the Classic was closed a few years ago. I'd always wanted to go see it there but I was too young at the time!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

fonpokno wrote: »
    Yeah, the Classic was closed a few years ago. I'd always wanted to go see it there but I was too young at the time!

Saw it many times, usually highly drunk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 businesswizard

I don't see anything not to like it.
    Go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Pedantic post of the day:

Rocky Horror Picture Show = film version only

Rocky Horror Show = live performance of the show.

There is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Did you go to see the show in the end op? I love Rocky Horror. Its amazing. Is there anywhere that shows it on a regular basis? I know the Sugar Club showed it recently but that was just a once off as far as I know...

funny-pictures-cat-does-a-jump-to-the-left-and-a-step-to-the-right.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

its strange but good

Just thought I'd let people know that there's a performance of Rocky Horror on the 14th February (yes, valentines day) in the Sugar Club! :D
    *The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    14th feb 2009 @ The Sugar club
    *Don't worry, there is a place to retreat from the loved up couples of
    Valentine's Night – a place where all your fantasies come true. With a
    cast of miss-matched misfits performing 16 scenes from the film on
    stage, The Rocky Horror Picture Show comes to life, live and unabashed
    at The Sugar Club. Judging from its last three sold out shows, all who
    dare venture into the realms of the Rocky are in for a treat. BoBo
    Productions promise to entertain surprise and titillate, with plenty of
    surprises in store for its audience. Looking for a place to escape on
    Valentines Night, get your sweet asses down to the Rocky Horror Picture
    Show. Love may be in the air, but we can only smell lust. Prizes for
    best Dressed, Fire eaters, Guest performances and plenty more to get you
    in the Mood. All props supplied so no need to bring anything bar your
    sweet selves. Doors open at 8.00pm. Admission is €15… P.S. Pants not
    necessary.

Oh God I'd so love to go to this! But I don't think the OH would like it much...

Maybe I could temporarily break up with him that week...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

Have to go to this!! oh can have the night off !!:D

I'm also sorely tempted to become temporarily single for the night. Maybe the boy would like it? Hmm... I'm not sure if that would a good thing or highly terrifying... :P

But yes, anyone who's not tied down by valentines plans should definitely go!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

My friend has been going on about it for ages and from what I've heard from other people's dislikes "It's so weird" etc, I really want to see it.

Any place that sells the DVD in Cork city?

Any dvd shop should have it gloom. It's in the sale section in hmv alot for some reason. But you shouldn't have any hassle finding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I'm playing Rocky in this on Saturday. I'm sure the b/fs will like it, so long as you pretend not to notice them looking at all the other women wearing next to nothing. If anyone does go, come up and say hi after. (I don't normally hang around too long afterwards because it's usually a pretty long day but I stay for one or two drinks) I can uaually be found in the smoking area at the back. I'm not allowed stay in costume after the last timewarp though. The bouncers always make me put clothes on :o

I hinted at my boyfriend that this was on. He said he'd already seen it and was scarred for life...

No Rocky Horror for me. :( Hope it goes well Popinjay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

isnt the boyfriend meant to do you the nice things valentines day? ;) tell him you want to go and let that be it :P

• Advertisement

Ahh but I'd feel so guilty! He's so nice to me all the time. If only it wasn't on Valentine's!

Was hoping to head to it but unfortuantly being a poor student the sheer expense of travelling to the might capital would be too much to bear. :(

Booo... Next time this is on we're all definitely going! Valentine's day or not!

Popinjay will you keep us apprised if you're in it again?

Well I'm only going to be in two more performances because I'm following my Australian g/f home in September/October (Where's the valentine's themed love-heart smiley?).

We'll be doing a summer show sometime in June and we're going to be at Castlepalooza in August too. That'll be cool 'cause I get an access-all-areas pass for the whole festival for me and the g/f. Just have to bring my own tent :D

(The festival's website is blocked for me in work but there's a thread in Gigs/Events about last years one so I'm pretty certain it's ok to talk about)

I'd imagine they'll keep going without me if they can find a new Rocky. We usually do three shows a year, one in February, one in June and one near Hallowe'en.

It is pretty pricey though, €15 a ticket I think. So tbh, I don't know if I'd go if I wasn't in it or didn't know people in it. I know Dragan was at the last one but I didn't see him at it. I'd say there's a fair amount of boardsies at it. Very much a Noc Forum kind of event.

Well the show went really well last night. The June show is set for 13th of June.

I broke my toe and it really hurts!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 smellslikelemon

Go, if anything it'll be an experience and you'll be privy to a lot of injokes that you didn't know existed :)

woops, well glad to see you liked it

Popinjay wrote: »
    Well the show went really well last night. The June show is set for 13th of June.

I broke my toe and it really hurts!!!!!!

I will be there.

Did you break your toe during the show??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

in june im there

details please

fonpokno wrote: »
    I will be there.

Did you break your toe during the show??

Turns out it's not broken, just muscle damage which still hurts like hell but means I don't get time off work except for getting the xray today :(

It happened about 10mins into my bit. For those that know the show, it was as I was running around (barefoot) during 'The Sword of Damocles'. I stubbed it off something pretty badly and had to squeeze it into heels later for the big final dance number.

Sparks: Same place as last Saturday's and doors will open at the same time I'd imagine so it's in the Sugar Club and doors at 8pm. Tickets will be the same price I reckon so in and around €15. If the director changes the prices or any other details, I'll let you guys know.

• Advertisement

Hey just said I'd remind all that this is on again tomorrow night. I haven't heard anything about any changes in price or time so it should be doors at 7 and tickets about €10 - €15, same as the last one. This will be my last performance in the Sugar Club with my last ever performance at Castlepalooza. Gotta polish the hotpants.

If anyone's at it, come say hi. You might not recognise me after I take the wig off and get dressed but I'll be in the smoking section most likely (Pint bottles of Bulmers are always welcome :D).

Advertisement