Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical studies

Options
  • 22-11-2008 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anybody here is doing classical studies for the leaving cert. im in 5th year now and although there isnt a class in my school,the vice principal told me i can pick it up next year. Would it be possible realistically to get an A in it from next september-june? Considering i didnt do it for junior cert either.

Comments

I don't do it myself, but it is generally considered one of the "easier" A1's; usually taken up by repeats afaik. I'd see no reason for you not to be able to get the course covered, and if I was in your position I'd start learning about the subject now; why wait until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I doubt it. I did this subject for my leaving in 00. There is some scope in the modules you pick. But I remember having a awful lot of reading to do. The epic module alone involves reading The Aneaid, The Oddessey and the Tain. If I rember rightly there is six modules. Unless you can find a classics teacher to do the subject with you Id forget about it. I also forget about trying to take it up in sixth year when you already have uckets of work to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

theres a chap who teaches in dublin, hes your man. unbelievable teacher, i mean unbelievable. Am doing classics and have had him for the two years now.

He can get the course completly covered in your time frame. was the cheif comissioning examiner and set the exam papers for years.

PM me if you want his name and details. You cant go wrong with this chap.

OH and i wouldnt say its an easier A than any other subject, takes time and effort. A good level of english is an added advantage IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

greetings wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anybody here is doing classical studies for the leaving cert. im in 5th year now and although there isnt a class in my school,the vice principal told me i can pick it up next year. Would it be possible realistically to get an A in it from next september-june? Considering i didnt do it for junior cert either.

If you can get to the institute (provided they do classics grinds) id imagine the notes would be useful.

i would however advise against it, UNLESS you have a genuine interest in Classics, then it'll be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

It's qutie hard to get an A1 in I'd imagine, I'm in fifth year doing it now.
    Depending on the modules you pick, 6 to 8 three page essays to write on the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Its hard to get an A1 in but easy enough to get a B in it. Luckily, my teacher is very good at predicting what will come up for the leaving cert and has already told us around 5 essays that will definitely come up for this years LC :)

Advertisement