Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEBENHAMS NEED I SAY MORE

Options
  • 22-11-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

today i bought a shirt and jumper in debenhams price said £60 and €93. (£60 is actually €71.14) so i went up asked a sales assistant about the price and was given some crap about the stock being 6 months old and left it at that. who else is going to listen to my complaint. now they had 20% off the original price which brought it down to €74.40 so i used the following converter to work out the price in uk pounds and lord and behold the price is £62.75. savings my arse.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=60&from=GBP&to=EUR&submit=Convert
    so go up the north you'll be better off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

But you still bought them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

and here we go again

this world needs "surival of the fittest" or else we're all doomed, seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

awww jeez another one!!! look! the answer to the question is simple. DON'T BUY IT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I saw something similar to this in Monsoon yesterday. A jumper priced at 50 Sterling and 74 Euro, crazy.

I obviously didn't buy but I was wondering would I have the right to buy it for 50 Sterling if I had Sterling on me at the time?

We should have a sticky for all exchange rate rip off stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

who else is going to listen to my complaint. .

Hopefully no one. I know I wish I didnt read about it anyway.

There was price on it, you read the pice, youy paid the price. Whats the issue.

They can give it away for free in the UK while charging €1000 here if they want.

I obviously didn't buy but I was wondering would I have the right to buy it for 50 Sterling if I had Sterling on me at the time?

Is sterling legal tender in the Republic of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

was in Dorothy Perkins the other day and a lady asked the girl behind the counter if she could pay with sterling. The item was £25 and €40.

Sales girl rang manager who was on lunch and she said yeah they'd take it.

Seemingly Dunnes are taking sterling as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

OP explain better or am I thick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So you bought clothes with a 20% discount and now you're bitching and whining on the internet? It was less than 3.50e more than the sterling price, and you have the pleasure of living in a country with a lower cost of living in every aspect, a higher minimum wage and no possibilities of terrorist attacks.

STFU TBH.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Hopefully no one. I know I wish I didnt read about it anyway.

There was price on it, you read the pice, youy paid the price. Whats the issue.

They can give it away for free in the UK while charging €1000 here if they want.

Is sterling legal tender in the Republic of Ireland?

I hear you Stekelly but if it's legal to have a Sterling price tag on display and I have Sterling...

Does the price tag not represent some kind of legal offer?

What would happen if a shop had two price tags in Euro on an item for sale, one less then the other. Do you have the right to buy at the lower price (I don't know myself, this question is directed to anybody out there who may know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What would happen if a shop had two price tags in Euro on an item for sale, one less then the other. Do you have the right to buy at the lower price (I don't know myself, this question is directed to anybody out there who may know)

No matter what price may be on it, they are not obligated to sell anything to you at any price. You can offer to buy it, but they can refuse.

Kahless wrote: »
    No matter what price may be on it, they are not obligated to sell anything to you at any price. You can offer to buy it, but they can refuse.

Thanks for the info Kahless. That's really interesting. I would have thought there was some legaleese around pricing of goods for sale to the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

DCC160 wrote: »
    was in Dorothy Perkins the other day and a lady asked the girl behind the counter if she could pay with sterling. The item was £25 and €40.

Sales girl rang manager who was on lunch and she said yeah they'd take it.

Seemingly Dunnes are taking sterling as well

I'd say that's rubbish.

Likewise the stores can't go to their staff and say, "sorry but we are now paying you in sterling" same goes for the landlords, commercial rates, ESB, tax etc etc.

About 40% of the product price is cost, the rest is made up of VAT, staff costs, rent, commercial rates and utilities. None of these are paid in sterling and therefore you cannot expect stores to charge identical exchange rates as per the day you happen to be in the store, though in saying this, a 1.55 multiple is excessive and a 1.35 - 1.40 would be more in keeping with the additional cost of running a business in nIreland.

BTW - In Ireland we pay far lower taxes than the UK, have a higher wage on average & also don't pay £2500 council tax and £400 water charges!!!!!. (both of which are non tax deductible in the UK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

ejmaztec wrote: »
    But you still bought them?

yep unfortunately you wont see alot of stuff in other stores besides debs down here. but i did a point to the wife that we'll be heading up north next time.
    just out of curiosity do debs in newry take euro.? if so i cant see any reason why they cant accept sterling down here, but unfortunately they dont . i just got of the phone to one of their stores here and was told they dont accept sterling down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

darc wrote: »
    I'd say that's rubbish.
    Likewise the stores can't go to their staff and say, "sorry but we are now paying you in sterling" same goes for the landlords, commercial rates, ESB, tax etc etc.

i work in a dept store in dublin and we accept sterling,dollars and pretty much every currency going!!we just have a fairly expensive exchange rate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i work in a dept store in dublin and we accept sterling,dollars and pretty much every currency going!!we just have a fairly expensive exchange rate.

thats your store policy, $ and £ are not legal tender in Ireland except with banks so they don't have to be accepted by any shops, pubs etc

I find this thread funny, complain about the price but you still hand over the money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

today i bought a shirt and jumper in debenhams price said £60 and €93. (£60 is actually €71.14) so i went up asked a sales assistant about the price and was given some crap about the stock being 6 months old and left it at that. who else is going to listen to my complaint.
    I don't see what the complaint is, the price was on the product and actually got a discount. In fact when taking VAT into account you could well have gotten it cheaper than in the UK. In their UK stores there could well be people moaning to poor sales assistants about the cheap euro price.

Would you go into the levis store and moan that it is cheaper in the US.

Here's the big mac index, perhaps you might want to print it out and go into mcdonalds and complain about those cheap Malaysian burgers
    CFN653_1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Debenhams are taking the p*** to be fair. I have seen 120% mark ups on € vs £. Don't buy it. If you do, don't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

BTW - In Ireland we pay far lower taxes than the UK, have a higher wage on average & also don't pay £2500 council tax and £400 water charges!!!!!. (both of which are non tax deductible in the UK)

Most highstreet stores would sell enough to cover that within 1 or 2 hours of opening, especially on weekends...

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Debenhams are taking the p*** to be fair. I have seen 120% mark ups on € vs £. Don't buy it. If you do, don't complain.

I agree Debenhams in particular are a rip off - even their sterling prices are over what other UK retailers charge.

I saw a silver cheese knife set in their newbridge store for £38 / €58.50 and in a store in Carlow town the exact same item was €39.95. There was a similar difference on 3 other items from the same company. Thankfully I bought in the local shop or I would have been mad with myself.

Avoid Debenhams is the answer.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    Most highstreet stores would sell enough to cover that within 1 or 2 hours of opening, especially on weekends...

The council tax & water charges in the UK are paid by residents not by companies!

So if you're earning £50k in the UK. Approx 13k is taken in tax & nhs at source, then you have to fork out to the council and water companies!! And then you can spend your money - whats left of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm finishing up working in retail soon (finishing a college degree) and I really cant wait to get out. I hate when people complain about the sterling v euro prices. It's retail not banking they're not offering currency exchanges and I agree that it might be high but people then buy it.

I mean if people are that pissed off then walk away. Don't give out to the sales assistants, they're only there to present, tidy and sell the stock, they dont set the prices.

I'm sick of people giving out to staff and then when the staff say "It's nothing to do with me I'll get a manager and you can explain". I dont normally get it because I'm well able to defend my corner but its still annoying to see.

End of rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

You know every time a thread about UK pricing is started a homeless orphan dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The council tax & water charges in the UK are paid by residents not by companies!

So if you're earning £50k in the UK. Approx 13k is taken in tax & nhs at source, then you have to fork out to the council and water companies!! And then you can spend your money - whats left of it!

Yes they do....Businesses in the UK pay 'business rates' which is essentially the same thing as council tax. It pays for bin collections, street cleaning, police/fire/ambulance etc. In the UK and Wales, individuals and businesses have to pay water charges on top of that.

Council tax here means bins are collected three times a week (one is for recycling only), the streets are always clean, there are public toilets that are actually clean, good police presence, great libraries and leisure facilities etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gillo wrote: »
    You know every time a thread about UK pricing is started a homeless orphan dies.

No one will miss them so.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think BT/BT2 will take sterling but it's a conversion from the euro price, the exchange rates are usually OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Stekelly wrote: »
    No one will miss them so.

Not true, when the heart, kidneys, liver & lungs are harvested they sell for half the price in the UK as they do here.

BLATANT RIP-OFF
    Opp's there goes another one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

much higher rents, much higher wage costs, different vat rates, the costs of trading in a foreign currency, transport costs, etc etc

they all add up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Kahless wrote: »

Are you sure thats right mate? I used to work in superquinn and they got fined one time because the prices on the Deli counter where different to what the customer paid for at the till.

In other words you have to charge the price that it is advertised at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

omg, not another person who doesnt understand invitation to treat :eek:

it's not illegal til the transaction at the till is complete

Advertisement