Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEBENHAMS NEED I SAY MORE

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I hear you Stekelly but if it's legal to have a Sterling price tag on display and I have Sterling...

Does the price tag not represent some kind of legal offer?

What would happen if a shop had two price tags in Euro on an item for sale, one less then the other. Do you have the right to buy at the lower price (I don't know myself, this question is directed to anybody out there who may know)

No. Because...
    Kahless wrote: »
    No matter what price may be on it, they are not obligated to sell anything to you at any price. You can offer to buy it, but they can refuse.

A company can charge anything they want for anything. They can charge 1,000,000 euro for a mars bar.

If people buy a mars bar for 1,000,000 euro, it's their own fault for not going elsewhere, and letting the company know why they are going elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

darc wrote: »
    I'd say that's rubbish.

Likewise the stores can't go to their staff and say, "sorry but we are now paying you in sterling" same goes for the landlords, commercial rates, ESB, tax etc etc.

About 40% of the product price is cost, the rest is made up of VAT, staff costs, rent, commercial rates and utilities. None of these are paid in sterling and therefore you cannot expect stores to charge identical exchange rates as per the day you happen to be in the store, though in saying this, a 1.55 multiple is excessive and a 1.35 - 1.40 would be more in keeping with the additional cost of running a business in nIreland.

BTW - In Ireland we pay far lower taxes than the UK, have a higher wage on average & also don't pay £2500 council tax and £400 water charges!!!!!. (both of which are non tax deductible in the UK)

Certainly the €8ph paid in clothstores is excessive pay isn't it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Does the price tag not represent some kind of legal offer?

It is an invitation to offer, it is not legal binding until you actually hand over the money.

For example. A jacket might have a price of €20 but when you got up to the counter and they charge you €120, you have no legal come back, as the price was only an invitation to buy not the actual cost (woo hoo - i actually learnt something in law)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Seriously doubt any store pays 8 euro a hour, since the minimum wage is over eleven euro a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Gillo wrote: »
    Seriously doubt any store pays 8 euro a hour, since the minimum wage is over eleven euro a hour.
    11 euro/hour? I wish! It's 8.65. http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Sorry to tell you but minimum wage is €8.65 it would be great if it was over €11. After nearly 15yrs service in retail i was only on €11ph.
    Id love to know what area you work in....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

haha, are you living in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My god what planet are you on?
    Seriously what sector do you work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

yep unfortunately you wont see alot of stuff in other stores besides debs down here. but i did a point to the wife that we'll be heading up north next time.
    just out of curiosity do debs in newry take euro.? if so i cant see any reason why they cant accept sterling down here, but unfortunately they dont . i just got of the phone to one of their stores here and was told they dont accept sterling down here.

Yea they do take Euros, in fact most stores in Newry take Euros. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Those shops should get rid of those double currency price tags = Less threads = Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

M&S take sterling, but charge the sterling equivalent of the € price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

DCC160 wrote: »

Seemingly Dunnes are taking sterling as well

No they aren't. As for the OP..another post that goes on about how they were ripped off and says 'and then I asked the sales assistant/harrassed the sales assistant/demanded answers from the sales assistant'..one of the above. Why do people think that sales assistants set prices and personally devise and implement store policy? Neither do the management in the store, take it to head office.

Lol, shops do generally pay over €8.65, generally about €9. Dunnes is €9.22, Boots is €9.11, Marks is €9. 40 something, Karen Millen is €9.30. Very few still paying time and a half though.

No they aren't. As for the OP..another post that goes on about how they were ripped off and says 'and then I asked the sales assistant/harrassed the sales assistant/demanded answers from the sales assistant'..one of the above. Why do people think that sales assistants set prices and personally devise and implement store policy? Neither do the management in the store, take it to head office.

Lol, shops do generally pay over €8.65, generally about €9. Dunnes is €9.22, Boots is €9.11, Marks is €9. 40 something, Karen Millen is €9.30. Very few still paying time and a half though.

it's the foreign staff in dunnes and the likes, accepting time and a quarter on sundays that ruins it for everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

awwwwwww come on corrupt. i said i asked the sales assistant, nothing more. i deal with the public on a daily basis and the last thing i would do is demand something or harrase someone especially a foot soldier, now give someone from head office then i'll take my muzzle of.
    store policy should be ,you complain to manager, manager takes on board whats said and raises it at future meetings with head office. i'm sure store managers are being hauled in regularly to head office and being interrorgated as to why sales are down etc.
    just look at shopping up north to date over 45,700 people have read just that thread, alright there might be a few like myself that are constantly in and out, but then i'm sure there are some store managers country wide reading that stuff as well. in fact this mightn't be a bad idea for a new thread.
    something like "managers views on people shopping up north".

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

I was just going to post this! I work for a British-owned fashion retailer, and in their wisdom they're still dual-pricing our stock, so people can see how much they're been (over)charged. I'm the manager, and I get people complaining to me on a daily basis about this, some almost insinuating that I'm personally shafting them and putting the money in my pocket! I've fed this information back to head office as often as possible, at least weekly, but they're not taking any notice. The only way that these companies will make changes is if they start hearing complaints from customers. If you want to vent, ask the nice sales assistant or manager for the head office address and write to or email them. It might seem like hassle, but it's going to be more effective than giving out to a minimum wage worker or a slightly demoralised manager:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well if the store paid them the stg5.65 (iirc) that they can in the UK it might not be seen as excessive alright. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

ok guys - in fairness debenhams may be that bit more exoencive , nut look at the quality tht you will be getting! Pluys, I hate when people are complaining about the north/south prices.... In the north labor, insurance, heating, esb, rent everything as alot more expencive than in the south.... therefore the overheads in the south are away higher , thur debenhams South, must charge higher prices to make ends meet and to continue to make a profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

For someone who can't spell or write a coherent sentence you seem to know an awful lot about the subject :rolleyes:

Ludo wrote: »
    For someone who can't spell or write a coherent sentence you seem to know an awful lot about the subject :rolleyes:

how about you get a life, ya prick! Do you realise how offencive that comment was... Did you every think that I my have a problem ?

I have now reported your comment!

Thanking you

Gaillimh1990 (ur just jealous cos ur from cork!)

how about you get a life, ya prick! Do you realise how offencive that comment was... Did you every think that I my have a problem ?

Thanking you

Gaillimh1990 (ur just jealous cos ur from cork!)

In that case, how about using a spell checker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

And I to you for personal abuse to someone else. You don't come on these boards and call someone a p***k. However, the person you harassed didn't post a very nice thing either, but you reported that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Ludo wrote: »

you may have loads of time on your hands to reply to a subject here and do grammatical & spell checks, but most of us just do a quick reply and if theer are a few spelling mishtakes, so bloody what.

As long as the content of the message is clear enough, then any minor spelling mistakes are perfectly fine.

If everyone went by your "standards" then the number of posters here would drop dramatically overnight & the site would become useless

Spelling mistakes are fine. We all make them. That poster made NO effort however and was way OTT and the content was NOT clear..e.g...costs are more expensive in the North therefore the south is more expensive...what???
    He managed to get the insult sentence out perfectly though :-)

Anyway, Debenhams are a rip-off. Running costs may be slightly more expensive here than in the UK but not to the degree that they charge. Then again. all shops here are a rip-off so they are no worse than anyone else. They really should drop the dual pricing though as it just rubs in the fact you are being screwed and I refuse to shop there because of it and because they are rubbish compared to what Roches Stores used to be...they are a big loss.

yes the do accept sterl n newry.,.. please see darcs comment above!!! makes since

yep unfortunately you wont see alot of stuff in other stores besides debs down here. but i did a point to the wife that we'll be heading up north next time.
    just out of curiosity do debs in newry take euro.? if so i cant see any reason why they cant accept sterling down here, but unfortunately they dont . i just got of the phone to one of their stores here and was told they dont accept sterling down here.

pmsl :D

bought the item, talking about "next time", and planning to buy from the same company when she goes up north

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ludo I do feel that your comment was somewhat uncalled for. Please leave the modding to the mods and stick to commenting on the subject, not the matter in which it is delivered.

Gaillimh1990 Infracted for abusive language
    dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 getoverit

I saw something similar to this in Monsoon yesterday. A jumper priced at 50 Sterling and 74 Euro, crazy.

I obviously didn't buy but I was wondering would I have the right to buy it for 50 Sterling if I had Sterling on me at the time?

We should have a sticky for all exchange rate rip off stores.
    You have no right to buy the item with sterling currency, for god sake!! Why are people just looking for a way to take their frustrations at the current economic crisis out on retail stores, they are trying to make a living just like you are, and do not need customers taking s**t out on on them (the staff) over issues that are beyond their control. They all have head offices, ask for the details, or look them up online, just dont be making their lives miserable. What is wrong with all of the bloody crazy 'joe duffy' worshipers, why dont they all just get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 getoverit

Off course not a practicle solution, but come on, we live in the country we live in and thats that. why dont we start living our lives instead of just bloody complaining all the time, we are all going to have heart attacks and hernias from the stressing we do!! Myself included!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I have bought loads in Debenhams, but only when there is 70% off (or maybe 50% off at a push). I haven't bought a non-discounted item from an English store in years, and they are still making a profit at that, and I think know that the clothes I buy are lovely!!

People can complain about stores being overpriced but I find if you are willing to put in the effort, there are many bargains to be had without having to travel north of the border.

• Advertisement
Advertisement