Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IFA - anyone know why they havent changed their name?

• 22-11-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

So saw a promo on BBC NI for a programme and it mentioned the IFA or Irish Football Association and I was wondering why they still go by the name IFA. Seems a bit strange to me.

Had a sconce at wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Football_Association

Clearly the IFA was the original and the FAI was the splinter group so they have a legitimate claim to the name but nowadays its clearly inaccurate and you'd think they would have changed it by now.

Is it simply a case of them not being bothered to change the name or what?
    Can anyone add any genuine insight?

I just find it weird that they still go by IFA as opposed to something like Northern Irish Football Association.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, then the FAI should be the FARoI then, no?

Same question should be asked of that association.

The IFA is the original, and therefore shouldn't change it's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Des wrote: »
    Well, then the FAI should be the FARoI then, no?

Same question should be asked of that association.

The IFA is the original, and therefore shouldn't change it's name.

I wouldnt say it's exactly the same but I suppose you have a point.

However just because it's the original doesnt seem a genuine reason to not change the name.

Just noticed on the wiki article that there is a NIWFA which is a Northern Irish Women's Football Association.

Just seems strange to me. Am I alone in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Ain't broke, don't fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The German football federation didn't change their name when East and West Germany were created, so why should Northern Ireland?

If anything good would come out of a re-united Ireland it would be the disbanding of the FAI and football on this entire island could be administrated by the IFA from Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Ain't broke, don't fix.

But the thing is it is kinda broken.

I just have an image of say a IFA delegation pitching up to some FIFA or UEFA conference or something after Saipan and someone going "Jeez lads what the hell happened with that whole Roy Keane thing?" The IFA guys kinda going "No we're the Northern Irish guys - nothing to do with us" and then the original punter going "oops Sorry". I have visions of the guys in the IFA having to constantly explain - "no we're the Northern Irish guys" to much all around awkwardness. I mean I wouldnt think the IFA would want there to be any chance for them to get mixed up with the FAI. Surely they would want to differenciate themselves as much as possible. Seems like twould be pretty simple to stick in a Northern in front of the IFA bit and clear things up but maybe tis only me in my head thinks like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

But the thing is it is kinda broken.

I just have an image of say a IFA delegation pitching up to some FIFA or UEFA conference or something after Saipan and someone going "Jeez lads what the hell happened with that whole Roy Keane thing?" The IFA guys kinda going "No we're the Northern Irish guys - nothing to do with us" and then the original punter going "oops Sorry". I have visions of the guys in the IFA having to constantly explain - "no we're the Northern Irish guys" to much all around awkwardness. I mean I wouldnt think the IFA would want there to be any chance for them to get mixed up with the FAI. Surely they would want to differenciate themselves as much as possible. Seems like twould be pretty simple to stick in a Northern in front of the IFA bit and clear things up but maybe tis only me in my head thinks like this.

Something tells me that one of the constituent members of the International Football Association Board has no problem differentiating themselves from our own association on the world stage.

They're involved in drawing up the rules of the game fer Christ's sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol. so wide of the mark, if anything it'd be the other way around in terms of the associations' worldwide recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Our Constitution states our name is Éire or Ireland not Republic of Ireland. Never will be. That is used by the likes of UEFA, FIFA and other non-sporting organisations.

Article 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

Nowhere in BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN is the term Republic mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

redout wrote: »
    Our Constitution states our name is Éire or Ireland not Republic of Ireland. Never will be. That is used by the likes of UEFA, FIFA and other non-sporting organisations.

Article 4

The FAI should change their name to CPE (Cumann Peile na h-Éireann)

I see old FAI paraphernalia used to have Cumann Peile na h-Éireann on it and I also notice that they are using it again on international tickets, or was it always on them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

redout wrote: »

Article 4

The Republic of Ireland act in 1948 states the official description of the state shall be Republic of Ireland.

There was a dispute in the 1950s where both nations claimed the term Ireland. FIFA declared that Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland be used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

The FAI should change their name to CPE (Cumann Peile na h-Éireann)

I see old FAI paraphernalia used to have Cumann Peile na h-Éireann on it and I also notice that they are using it again on international tickets, or was it always on them ?

Sounds like a good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The Republic of Ireland act in 1948 states the official description of the state shall be Republic of Ireland.

There was a dispute in the 1950s where both nations claimed the term Ireland. FIFA declared that Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland be used.

I know that and did not dispute it. I said NAME and was replying to the OPs question which he states Name not description. Our passport, drivers license all government docs and the EU refer to us as Ireland as it is our name. Does anyway actually answer Rep of Ireland when someone asks you where you are from. As far as I can see we have the legitimate and legal right to the name. Northern Ireland and UK do not even have a constitution.

Advertisement