Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I report a post...

Options
  • 22-11-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

..should i get a reply or a reasoning why my report was not acted on? not sure what the procedure is.

I reported http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57855171&postcount=19 the day it was posted as being off topic, and typical made up story, but heard nothing since..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Some mods do and some mods don't. They're not obliged to reply to you but AFAIK all reported posts get looked at in the mods forum. So if nothing was done, it's probably because they didn't think it was worth an infraction/whatever and not because the report wasn't seen or was ignored.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nope, you shouldn't get a reply. Some mods will send one if they feel it's needed, but I've never done that, I don't think. Reporting posts is appreciated, but it's then up to the mod to decide whether or not to act upon it. If it was ignored, you can assume the mod decided it was okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

hmm. because it's definitely off topic. I'd love an explanation of why its deemed ok..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

PM the mod(s) with your concerns would be the next step. Maybe you could highlight better why you think action should be taken.

all i really want is the off topic stuff deleted. Its offensive to Limerick, and is typical of second hand stories we hear every week that just arent true. for it to be true, his friend would need to have gone VERY far off course, the geography of Limerick doesnt really allow for it. Plus, the cops are not that heavy handed with anyone like that, unless its a recognised car.

Its just an annoying thing to read being stated as fact, when its 99.9% not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It's a forum, people go off topic all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The post is mild trolling at worst. There is alot of crazy stuff going on there for a relatively small place. I dont see a problem with the post. I reckon you're being hyper sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Aye, now if only Athlone could have a bit of excitement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Aye, now if only Athlone could have a bit of excitement like that.
    Paint the town pink.... or red. But no matter what you do, snyper will claim it's pink anyway.

my point is no off topic stuff is permitted in personal issues, and yes I am being sensitive, but that story is made up. plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

zuroph wrote: »
    ..should i get a reply or a reasoning why my report was not acted on? not sure what the procedure is.

I reported http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57855171&postcount=19 the day it was posted as being off topic, and typical made up story, but heard nothing since..

Which one of the seven PI mods would reply? any or all?... :D.

It really helps us when a post is reported as there can be a lot of traffic in the forum. We can make our calls based on that. Sometimes a single post is reported several times. All mods do look at them and we get notifications when they come through.
    Indeed, if several posts are reported in a single thread, it alerts us that soimething is happening in thread and we will watch it more closely as sometimes they degenerate very quickly.

But we can get a lot of reported posts in a single day and replynig to the one making the report would be a lot of work. Its better to look at the thread and see if action is taken, if not then theh mods will have made a call on it.

So in summary: no i wont pm the one making the reported post...but will deal in thead with the reported post itself if necessary.

But it really is appreciated when someone does report posts.

Many thanks, I fully understand that PI is probably the hardest forum to mod on all of boards, and am aware of the quantity of traffic u have to put up with. I was more curious than anything else, cos i hadnt heard, and nothing had happened to the post.
    now I know, thanks again!
    Marksie wrote: »
    Which one of the seven PI mods would reply? any or all?... :D.

It really helps us when a post is reported as there can be a lot of traffic in the forum. We can make our calls based on that. Sometimes a single post is reported several times. All mods do look at them and we get notifications when they come through.
    Indeed, if several posts are reported in a single thread, it alerts us that soimething is happening in thread and we will watch it more closely as sometimes they degenerate very quickly.

But we can get a lot of reported posts in a single day and replynig to the one making the report would be a lot of work. Its better to look at the thread and see if action is taken, if not then theh mods will have made a call on it.

So in summary: no i wont pm the one making the reported post...but will deal in thead with the reported post itself if necessary.

But it really is appreciated when someone does report posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Faith wrote: »
    Nope, you shouldn't get a reply. Some mods will send one if they feel it's needed, but I've never done that, I don't think. Reporting posts is appreciated, but it's then up to the mod to decide whether or not to act upon it. If it was ignored, you can assume the mod decided it was okay.

Sorry little question on this. I was banned from a forum for a week a good while ago because a user reported my post. The mod who banned me said they didn't really see anything wrong but i had to be banned because the other person was offended by my post enough to report it :confused: So was that just a story to justify the banning?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LolaDub wrote: »
    Sorry little question on this. I was banned from a forum for a week a good while ago because a user reported my post. The mod who banned me said they didn't really see anything wrong but i had to be banned because the other person was offended by my post enough to report it :confused: So was that just a story to justify the banning?
    Maybe what the mod meant was that your post was technically offensive but might have been ignored in other circumstances. If someone does take offense and reports it, they have a right to protection under the charter, even if the pragmatic thing would be to let it go.

Perhaps that was it. Tbh it was a really silly thing anyway. It was in one of the tv forums and i said one of the people on a programme did something that to me was a bit chavvy, thats what i got banned for! The mod then posted that i had been banned and hateful behaviour wouldn't be tolerated :confused: a few people posted back and the mod changed it to dislike will not be tolerated or something. After a bit of pming the mod said they didn't find anything wrong with my post and the other users posts were worse and eventually they banned that user too. All seemed a bit mad to me. Thanks for clearing it up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LolaDub wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing it up
    Sounds like I wasn't even close. ;)

Dades wrote: »
    Sounds like I wasn't even close. ;)

Lol!

Sorry i rambled! I just didn't get it, i spoke to the mod at length through pm about it but was none the wiser and didn't feel they were taking my boards on board.

If the charter protects people who claim offence regardless of post content then i see why i might have been banned, so thanks for that info!

Advertisement