Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google not indexing a site ?

Options
  • 22-11-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Having submitted a site to google via webmaster tools & having verified it, and also having submitted it via google local, I'm a bit concerned it isn't showing up in Google yet ? Though to be fair it's only been 4 days.

The one thing I haven't done is submitted a sitemap in XML format (mainly because the site is small) - could that be holding it back.

I also had the site live for about a month with a robots.txt file asking for it not to be indexed, wondering is that hindering things now ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Get a few back links , and give it about 2 weeks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

The sitemap may help it index more of the files - it also gets the site into the crawlbot. I got one of my sites indexed in 4 days for a new domain but old domains that haven't had anything bar a holding page can take longer. Go build backlinks and research SEO.

Google can often index a site faster from following a link in a high PR/news site/highly indexed site.

There are a number of checks you can do. Google has a Status Wizard. Also, you can check your server visitor stats if you have them. Any Googlebot traffic should show up. Google may come-a-sniffing in greater numbers before your site shows up in the search results.

You can also search like this "mysite.com" or site:mysite.com

In your webmasters, you can check the index or crawl rate - if you start seeing activity you can be sure that your site should show in a couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Thanks for the suggestions, google picked the site up 5 days after submitting it. SEO building from now will be based on keywords and inbound links.

Advertisement