Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two connections not allowed with Netgear and UPC

Options
  • 22-11-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi,

Just got the UPC 20 meg broadband in with the free Netgear wireless router and we are having trouble connecting our second laptop. I have a Dell which connects fine but when the Missus tries to connect her Mac, she can't get a connection. If I disconnect, she can then connect but once she's connected, I can't connect. Anyone know if this is a UPC problem or a Netgear problem? Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its config, not sure what support UPC provide for there free router but its settings likely on the computer or router and is not actually something on UPC's end

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Pygmie wrote: »
    Hi,

Just got the UPC 20 meg broadband in with the free Netgear wireless router and we are having trouble connecting our second laptop. I have a Dell which connects fine but when the Missus tries to connect her Mac, she can't get a connection. If I disconnect, she can then connect but once she's connected, I can't connect. Anyone know if this is a UPC problem or a Netgear problem? Any help greatly appreciated!

Is the router acting as it's own DHCP server or as a DHCP passthrough to the cable modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

Not sure. How would I find this out? Thanks for the repllies!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Not sure. How would I find this out? Thanks for the repllies!

You'd need to check this on the routers config screen. The manual should have the address for this and the login details.

Ah yes - just checked and the router is used as a DHCP server.

• Advertisement

Ah yes - just checked and the router is used as a DHCP server.

Okay, then with both machines connected do "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt and see what addresses they're both being given.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

are ya sure dhcp is turned on on the router and afaik upc only give support for the router for 30 dyas

Yep - DHCP is turned on. I would have to connect the laptops separately to do the ipconfig as they don't connect at the same time. Would this matter?

Yep - DHCP is turned on. I would have to connect the laptops separately to do the ipconfig as they don't connect at the same time. Would this matter?

Might be a good idea to check that the router and cable modem part is okay first. The router should be set to use DHCP to get it's own IP address from the cable modem. It should be showing it's an address not in the 192.168 range on it's status screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The cable modem must be connected to the WAN ethernet port. If it's plugged into any of the other 4 ethernet ports only one device can connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'd say watty hit the nail on the head, check the back of the router to make sure the modem is goin into the wan port, i think its yellow and the other 4 are white

Advertisement