Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transmitting music wirelessly from laptop to Speakers?

• 22-11-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hey I want to be able to transmit music from my laptop say that would on my lap to speakers which would be far away and I don't want to need a wire between the two is this possible?

And if so where would I get the equipment and more importantly is it expensive?

Or was just think would it be handier, hopefully I'll hav a Hd tv - attach my laptop to that and use a wireless keyboard and mouse that would prob be a better solution??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

use itunes with airport express and airtunes

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Maybe it's a different issue for you but music transmitted tirelessly is very low quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aldente

Hi, I reckon there are different approaches to this, and my solution is Apple iTunes+AirportExpress, as one of the previous posters. This method is good for both Mac and Windows users. AirportExpress is really an excellent device, giving a very minimal damage to your wallet! If your speakers are an amplified one with a 3.5mm stereo jack, you only need to connect AirportExpress to the speaker using the standard 3.5mm-3.5mm stereo jack cable, not to mention an optical cable connection to an AV receiver.

There is one nifty thing about AirportExpress, which is a wired LAN port it has, although Apple's marketing tactic focusses on going wireless. As part of my solution, I got a pair of small device for LAN over power circuit called Devolo dLAN200AVeasy, which is also inexpensive. With this one, you can stream music over the wired LAN as well as forget about all the cabling nuisance and wireless reception headaches.

If you want to add additional sets of speakers in other rooms, you just add AE (and Devolo if going wired), which cost much less than approaching via Sonos, Squeezebox, Sony, Philips, etc. as far as I know. I also use iPod Touch as remote control for music anywhere in the house (speakers on/off, music selection, volume).

Wireless reception is not bad in my house, but I do have some intermittent sound interruption if streaming over wireless. I think that the issue very much centres on router. The Zyxel wireless ADSL router I used to use dropped wireless often, and did not get on with Apple's networking data packets to get iTouch Remote working. So I replaced it with a Netgear after trying a couple of routers I borrowed from a friend of mine. Even with the stable new router, sound skips occur.

In any case, it is always paramount to do research and draw a picture before spending money! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcleansm

Depends what the speakers are hooked up to. If connected to a radio the most inexpensive option is to buy a little FM transmitter from Belkin, plug it into the earphone socket on the laptop and tune the radio to the freq...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If you have a PS3 connected to your tv its easy.

Install tversity media server on your laptop and search for media servers on the PS3

I can listen to wav's(high quality) fine using this set-up, wirelessly

• Advertisement
Advertisement