Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the big deal about deadmau10?

• 22-11-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

jesus in college the last few weeks everyone is on about this guy!!even the people who would be into tiesto dyacent heads!!!awhhhh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

In a word, he's fuppin brilliant. Ok that was three words but you got the gist. Its amazing how fast he is becoming popular! His live show is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

He's alright as a producer, don't really think he's anything spectacular. Had some of his tracks from awhile back but haven't really bothered with any of the newer stuff. Heard he was ****e at the picnic but great in Tripod, didn't see him play at either so can't really give any opinion.

All the Tiesto heads are into him because he's the next big name so that's why they listen I'd imagine, I doubt they'd know what genre they're even listening to....more like it's deaaadddmauusss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

he's basically a massive crowd pleaser.

plays all sorts of accessible generic cheesey ****e, and sometimes dresses in a "wacky" mouse costume on stage.

in fairness, he used to be ok about a year ago, but since then he's released some utter ****e.

a lot of people i know who wouldn't really be into dance music like him, along with Justice,Tiesto, etc, because it's accessible and easy to get into, and it's the "in" thing.
    the type who say they like rap music (read: Kanye West, 50 Cent, whatever other faux pop-rap is in the charts at the moment)

most people i know who are into their dance music find him contrived and his productions pretty bland these days, as well as the whole thing pretty much a fad.

still, it's better than listening to Lisa Lashes or crap like that I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

well i've been listening to this 'Random Album Title' album lately and i must say I'm left wondering what all the fuss is about! A lot of the beats and drums sound all the same, a bit like when I was listening to Justice, just not diverse enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been into Deadmau5 since he just started getting bit and was very very impressed with his stuff. He is the biggest thing to hit the scene in a long time, naturally he will get overexposed commercially, but fcuk it he has a lot of talent and he's hugely in demand, so he's making the most of it and probably making a fcuking fortune, touring the world and having the time of his life.

I was very impressed by the sheer quantity of quality tunes he put out, very little flops. Some people say his stuff is a little 'samey' - and I would kind of agree, maybe he needs to diversify more. Maybe he is just sticking to what he is good at.

I saw him at EP and although it was good I was a little disappointed. He started off very progressive and deep and was not normally as uplifting as other sets I have heard. When I was really into him I downloaded loads of his tracks and made a mix of just his stuff - listen here - its one of my favourites.

Tbh I have not listened to any of his newer stuff in the last few months, must give his album a listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

hes marketed very well and appeals to people that dont know any better, simple as that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Jev/N wrote: »
    He's alright as a producer, don't really think he's anything spectacular. Had some of his tracks from awhile back but haven't really bothered with any of the newer stuff. Heard he was ****e at the picnic but great in Tripod, didn't see him play at either so can't really give any opinion.

All the Tiesto heads are into him because he's the next big name so that's why they listen I'd imagine, I doubt they'd know what genre they're even listening to....more like it's deaaadddmauusss
    honestly i dont think people get into a certain artist because there the next big thing.they have to at least like his music.who cares if they dont know what genre it is.noone listens to music they dont like.so what if they dont like the most underground of artists.hes accesible,nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with the people who like him.
    wed all kill to have his career or have the skill to make the "samey"tracks he puts out.
    you can slate him but you cant deny the man is talented :)
    i actually dont really like his music either:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I've made it my business of listening to most stuff he has released and i must say i think it's absolute crap especioally his remixes of classic old skool tunes which are nothing short of cringeworthy to say the least :o becuse the "dance media" have hyped this artist up who wears a fuc*ing mouses mask :rolleyes: and produces bland electro house doesn't wash with me, if you know the score you will find far better better people that Deadmou5 out there definitely...don't believe the hype (as Public Enemy would say)
    DON'T ALWAYS BELIEVE THE HYPE;)

brianc27 wrote: »
    hes marketed very well and appeals to people that dont know any better, simple as that really.

ditto.

Here is someone who isn't "the darling of the dance media" but is absolute quality and for me is one of the pivotal players in the House music thesedays.

http://www.myspace.com/thefunkichile ]

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote: »
    Here is someone who isn't "the darling of the dance media" but is absolute quality and for me is one of the pivotal players in the House music thesedays.

http://www.myspace.com/thefunkichile ]
    eh atfc is very very well known,everyone knows him,and he has releasd some really bad remixes as well as some fantastic tracks.but whats the point posting that link anyway.
    oh deadmau5's bad remixes,are you talking about that awful carl cox tune.

oh and how cool were altern8 in there radiation suits,or orbitals light glasses.
    same **** different era but you didnt seem to mind it back then im sure:rolleyes:

seannash wrote: »
    oh and how cool were altern8 in there radiation suits,or orbitals light glasses.
    same **** different era but you didnt seem to mind it back then im sure:rolleyes:

I actually thought they looked deadly as it goes:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

thats a bit of a stupid comment, i thought he rocked at tripod. yeh, some of his newer stuff can be a bit cheesey but he doesnt play that stuff live.

so, becuase i thought he was "appealing" i dont know any better?! good one.

Gotta admit I kinda missed the whole deadmau5 thing a couple of years back. When I got around to listening to his stuff, really liked the big one (Faxing Berlin?). Not sure I'd be too gone on some of the other stuff I've heard. And that outfit is annoying. He has made some pretty poor comments on other djs to the music press too, seems to be an arsehole.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    thats a bit of a stupid comment, i thought he rocked at tripod. yeh, some of his newer stuff can be a bit cheesey but he doesnt play that stuff live.

yep,thats my sentiments exactly.just coz you dont like him doesnt give you the right to adopt an im right there wrong mentality.

copeyhagen wrote: »

in a nutshell yea

like i dont think people that think deadmau is amazing are thick or anything, its just they havent been exposed to anything better, hence why the vast amount of people into him are either new into the whole "electronic music" buzz and are pretty young.

the mouse head is also completely retarded

in a nutshell yea

like i dont think people that think deadmau is amazing are thick or anything, its just they havent been exposed to anything better, hence why the vast amount of people into him are either new into the whole "electronic music" buzz and are pretty young.

the mouse head is also completely retarded
    so all those professional djs playing his tracks havent been exposed to anything better.
    thats the worst argument ive ever heard.
    nobody forces pro djs to play there stuff,but it seems like hes getting plenty of plays from them.
    maybe you know better than them,set up a website so we can all flock to you and forget about all those other djs out there:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

in a nutshell yea
    are either new into the whole "electronic music" buzz and are pretty young.

you said either but didnt give an or so whats the other option?

i assume its 'people who have been into dance music since they were 12 have dj'd for 6 years and organised numerous dance nights and like him coz he has good tunes and is good live'

he was great in trinity rooms in limerick i think his essential mix with pete tong is good as are alot of his releases.

i also heard he is basically self promoted started selling his own pressing / tunes online built up his own fan base on myspace or something and worked from there with his own independant label dont know how true that is but its impressive if it is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

From Wikipedia:
    Joel Zimmerman was born in 1981. In 2008 he became Producer of the Year, he also became the most selling artist on Beatport with more than 30,000 on just Beatport alone with his singles "Not Exactly" and "Faxing Berlin".[2]

Deadmau5 received two nominations for the Juno Award for Dance Recording of the Year at the Juno Awards of 2008 for a track with Billy Newton-Davis and Melleefresh. He did not win an award for Melleefresh's "After Hours" song, but he won the award for Newton-Davis' "All U Ever Want".[3] On May 1, 2008, Deadmau5 became the most awarded deejay/producer/remixer of the Beatport Music Awards. He was named "Most influential, forward-thinking and relevant person" by Beatport.[4] He was also named "Producer of 2007" by DJ Mag's 2007 Top 100 winner Armin van Buuren,[5] and by runner up Tiësto. [6] In 2008, he placed number 11 in the DJ Mag Top 100 poll, the highest new entry in the polls history, showing Zimmerman's rise to prominence in such a short period of time.

You can say your personal taste differs and you don't like him, but you can't really say the guy does not have talent or is not any good.

Most people think the mouse head thing is pretty cool. It's just something different to help him stand out. There are too many dj's that come on, barely look into the crowd or dance around or anything, just mix their tunes and go home. What's the fun in that!

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    you said either but didnt give an or so whats the other option?

i assume its 'people who have been into dance music since they were 12 have dj'd for 6 years and organised numerous dance nights and like him coz he has good tunes and is good live'

he was great in trinity rooms in limerick i think his essential mix with pete tong is good as are alot of his releases.

i also heard he is basically self promoted started selling his own pressing / tunes online built up his own fan base on myspace or something and worked from there with his own independant label dont know how true that is but its impressive if it is.

sorry meant to type "are either new into the whole "electronic music" buzz and/or are pretty young".

its not really about personal taste, theres loads of music i dont like but appreciate the production, this deadmau5 fellas stuff isnt very good, its pretty boring and unimaginative.

you'd be surprised how much the hype surrounding something can drown out everything else. Just bacause he won a few beatport awards does not neccessarily mean hes good (dj mag top 100 djs anyone), the top10 ten beatport downloads at any given time pretty much make any sort of beatport awards redundant in my eyes.

the mouse head is really really stupid, how anyone can have any respect for a pleb in an oversized mouse hat is beyond me but thats a different argument altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

its not really about personal taste, theres loads of music i dont like but appreciate the production, this deadmau5 fellas stuff isnt very good, its pretty boring and unimaginative.

as far as production standards go, there are a lot worse out there than deadmau5.

He's very accessible, catchy and has a nice little gimmick with the mousehead.

He's also a very talented and clever guy not afraid to speak his mind (hence the whole 'he sounds like an arsehole' thing).

If anyone thinks I have not been exposed to enough music to know any better, please email any of the labels that I am signed to (pm for a list), and let them know. Or any of the promoters I'm doing gigs with.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Jesus this mouse stirs up a lot of attention, this must be the third thread about him now with a good few heated exchanges! Must have a listen to him at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Here's an interview with the guy:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I have never seen a DJ/Producer to cause so much split opinion on this forum. I hope that everybody that is slagging him off has actually seen him live. I saw him recently in the Clarence in Sligo and I have to say it was one of the best and most interactive sets I have ever been to. I'm not young or new to the dance scene either.

His tunes are great and the mouse head is obviously just a marketing thing and at least people recognise it wheteher they approve of it or not.

He is meant to be a bit cocky. So What? He works the crowd by constantly interacting. He crowd surfed made loads of eye contact and other stuff people may find cheesy. Big deal! At least he actually looks as if he is enjoying his gigs and he wants the crowd to enjoy it too. Pity the same couldn't be said for other performers who just stand there banging out tunes.

Pete Tong called him 'an enigmatic producer' and that man knows a thing or two about dance music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 novy

I find his mixes are really bland and most of his stuff really boring, just over-hyped in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

I have to say that I think Deadmau5 is quality. I think for Brianc27 to say that anyone who likes the mau5 knows nothing about music is a bit ridiculous. What I think is more ridiculous is people who slate Deadmau5 and never really listened to him. Just coz he's flavour of the month and wears a mouse head, some dance music snobs are writing him off.

In fairness, if you don't like him, don't listen. Don't get riled up by people saying they do like him and knock them for it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The guy cant mix to save his life. He even says so himself and he sold his cdjs because he couldnt use them. He just plays his tracks from whatever sound box thingy he has connected to his laptop. He does however have a good rapport with the crowd and when you're out and mashed crowd pleasing tunes usually do the trick. And while a lot of the tiesto knackers like him its not a total scumfest when he plays..yet

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    The guy cant mix to save his life. He even says so himself and he sold his cdjs because he couldnt use them. He just plays his tracks from whatever sound box thingy he has connected to his laptop. He does however have a good rapport with the crowd and when you're out and mashed crowd pleasing tunes usually do the trick. And while a lot of the tiesto knackers like him its not a total scumfest when he plays..yet

he uses ableton,the box thingy is just a soundcard which gets the sound out of his laptop.but yeah ableton does the beatmatching not the mixing.
    At least he's honest about it and not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes.
    beatmatching is important to some people and there generally the people who frown upon laptop djing of any sort.

Ya, was thinkin it was ableton or sonar. As you said , at least he's honest about it. I have ableton but cant be arsed to learn how to use properly it which gets embarassin when my 13 year old brother starts giving me tips on it. I get a bit picky every now and then about E djing but when you see what the likes of Bam bam is capable of it does make you sit up and take notice. Havin said that , I was in Home in sydney a couple of years ago and the dj was waving a record at the crowd and pointing at the decks and everyone was leppin and jumpin around. I was sober though and couldn't figure out which way his hands were moving so i went upstairs for a look. The cnt had his laptop out of sight and didnt even have vinyls on the decks and just used an FX unit to make a big whoosh sound every time he came to a breakdown or wanted to change tracks. Even my missus who doesnt dj was disghusted. After spendin 15 minutes queing to get in and payin $30 we finished our drinks and left. Thats the kind of crap that gives laptop and cdj guys a bad name

Ya, was thinkin it was ableton or sonar. As you said , at least he's honest about it. I have ableton but cant be arsed to learn how to use properly it which gets embarassin when my 13 year old brother starts giving me tips on it. I get a bit picky every now and then about E djing but when you see what the likes of Bam bam is capable of it does make you sit up and take notice. Havin said that , I was in Home in sydney a couple of years ago and the dj was waving a record at the crowd and pointing at the decks and everyone was leppin and jumpin around. I was sober though and couldn't figure out which way his hands were moving so i went upstairs for a look. The cnt had his laptop out of sight and didnt even have vinyls on the decks and just used an FX unit to make a big whoosh sound every time he came to a breakdown or wanted to change tracks. Even my missus who doesnt dj was disghusted. After spendin 15 minutes queing to get in and payin $30 we finished our drinks and left. Thats the kind of crap that gives laptop and cdj guys a bad name
    theres always people out there who take advantage of technology.how many djs have been caught with a set pre recorded on cd but you cant tar other people with the same brush based on one bad dj who was pulling a fast one:D

The guy is undoubtedly a very talented producer - and it requires far more skill and talent to do that than it does to beatmatch and few tunes and mix them together. The Ableton/beatmatching discussion has been done to death here. Check out what Richie Hawtin has to say about it - 'nuff said.

Check out this link: http://jessebrede.com/wordpress/2008/05/04/what-gear-is-deadmau5-using/ for some more detail on the setup he uses for his live sets. I'm sorry but mastering all this equipment to produce a good live show is not easy, the technical knowledge and expertise he would have around this is considerable.
    The guy cant mix to save his life. He even says so himself and he sold his cdjs because he couldnt use them. He just plays his tracks from whatever sound box thingy he has connected to his laptop.
    Link to back this up?

I've seen him live and heard loads of his sets - saying he can't mix to save his life is total bullsh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

about the whole 'ability to beat match & mix' debate, since reading this I'm beginning to realise there is more to DJing that the technical side. It's also about being able to read the crowd and adjust your set accordingly to continue to take them on a wild journey.

Mr mau5 has proven he can produce his own tracks so he's proven he can do it and is not a fly-by I suppose. Let's not get hung up on technical apsects, the best turntabalist in the world may still be useless at getting the crowd going which at the end of the day will mean we won't hear much of that DJ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Zascar wrote: »
    The guy is undoubtedly a very talented producer - and it requires far more skill and talent to do that than it does to beatmatch and few tunes and mix them together. The Ableton/beatmatching discussion has been done to death here. Check out what Richie Hawtin has to say about it - 'nuff said.

Check out this link: http://jessebrede.com/wordpress/2008/05/04/what-gear-is-deadmau5-using/ for some more detail on the setup he uses for his live sets. I'm sorry but mastering all this equipment to produce a good live show is not easy, the technical knowledge and expertise he would have around this is considerable.

Link to back this up?

I've seen him live and heard loads of his sets - saying he can't mix to save his life is total bullsh!t.

I, like you, believed in this point of view, about beatmatching etc. That someone can be freed from the technicality of beatmatching, to get more creative is obviously a good thing.

However, I saw Hawtin four weeks ago, and it was utterly pathetic. I've been a big fan for many years, but can safely say that the minus label has gotten very very poor, the music has become very poor, and Hawtin himself has become very very lazy.

One boss digital delay guitar pedal, and two xone midi controllers simply don't make up for the effort he used to put in. I believe he should go back to the days of D, F & 909.

Last Friday, Luke Vibert's music was amazing, and he was putting a lot of effort into the set. Some people were coming up, to say "it's a shame that you cant see what he's doing". In fact they were a lot stronger-worded, to be honest.

It seems there's a crowd element who want to see more than a laptop. I've always believed the crowd wants to SEE something technical going on. Perhaps a screen-view of the laptop would suffice. But basically, from the front (watching hawtin) or the back (having people come up complaining), I think, more than ever, that this new trend isn't catching people's imagination as much.

Sure, it's all about the music, but I went into the second room, when Hawtin was playing, and found Fabrizio Maurizi much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

in a nutshell yea

like i dont think people that think deadmau is amazing are thick or anything, its just they havent been exposed to anything better

thats even stupider than your first comment.

im 25, have been goin to see djs since i was about 16/17 back in the temple theatre days (yeh i know).

i have seen hundreds of djs, dj myself, nothin too major, played on kiss fm for a while back in the day.

started off playing hard house, yeh it sucks, moved from that to techno / tech house, to progressive and now i mostly play minimal.

your talking so much sh1te its funny, all my friends are into similar music to myself and about 10 of us went to see him and thought he rocked tripod, yeh there were a few clowns there but nothin too bad.

sick of fools makin stupid comments when they probably know fuk all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

but can safely say that the minus label has gotten very very poor, the music has become very poor,
    understatement of the century. Minus' recent stuff has been absolutely atrocious.

Zascar,
    Taken from his myspace blog:
    "let me start by admitting.... i did not grow up in the EDM scene. I dont consider my career to be about "being a DJ". i dont have "DJ roots" . I never had any intention of becoming a DJ. and my conception of "DJ's" in general from this standpoint has always been... .. being forced into some nightclub when i would have rather stayed home, and watch some dood mash the "play / stop" button and occaisionally move a pitch slider. Love it or hate it.... that's just been my conception of the traditional "dj"."
    The link is
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=4809789&blogID=446268710
    ( i think )
    and his cdjs were on Ebay
    ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250282172234
    I'm still looking for the previous post where he says he cant mix, its one of the comments he made in response to other comments somewhere but he definately said it himself. I've seen him twice and didn't see much "mixing" to be honest although i did see plenty of loop sequencing so if thats mixing then i stand corrected.
    That said I'll repeat what i said earlier about him having a good crowd rapport and him being able to please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

He's good,bit bland and repetitive,but doesnt compare to the old stuff

Zascar,
    Taken from his myspace blog:
    "let me start by admitting.... i did not grow up in the EDM scene. I dont consider my career to be about "being a DJ". i dont have "DJ roots" . I never had any intention of becoming a DJ. and my conception of "DJ's" in general from this standpoint has always been... .. being forced into some nightclub when i would have rather stayed home, and watch some dood mash the "play / stop" button and occaisionally move a pitch slider. Love it or hate it.... that's just been my conception of the traditional "dj"."
    The link is
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=4809789&blogID=446268710
    ( i think )
    and his cdjs were on Ebay
    ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250282172234
    I'm still looking for the previous post where he says he cant mix, its one of the comments he made in response to other comments somewhere but he definately said it himself. I've seen him twice and didn't see much "mixing" to be honest although i did see plenty of loop sequencing so if thats mixing then i stand corrected.
    That said I'll repeat what i said earlier about him having a good crowd rapport and him being able to please.

So he bought CDJ's, but hates dj's....

Stinks of a man who couldn't, then tried something else.

Either way, his music's bland and unimaginative, his image is pathetic, and a monkey can schmooze a crowd.

He "mashes a play button" too, don't forget.

Looking forward to next year's rubbish fad.

Ye're the one's injecting money into the pop-dance-music market, and for that I applaud you all. You bring us daft punk, chemical brothers, and fedde le grand. Hurrah. God forbit ye should ever pay to see someone try something new!

See you soon, fad-sters!

• Advertisement

Either way, his music's bland and unimaginative, his image is pathetic, and a monkey can schmooze a crowd.

Ye're the one's injecting money into the pop-dance-music market, and for that I applaud you all. You bring us daft punk, chemical brothers, and fedde le grand. Hurrah. God forbit ye should ever pay to see someone try something new!

See you soon, fad-sters!

only saw him because my mates wanted to go. peer pressure:D
    I'm with you on pretty much everything you said and completely agree about hawtin. 7 or 8 years ago he was on fire but right now he's boring the sh1t outta me. serious waste of talent

See you soon, fad-sters!
    sorry we cant all be as hip,cool and underground as you.
    get over yourself mate,your statements stink of someone who is simply jealous.if its all so easy,go out and do it yourself and let us snap up all your horrible productions.
    he was offered gigs so he decided to buy cdjs,didnt enjoy it and decided to go with ableton,big deal.he said he never thought his career would be about djing,he considers himself a producer above everything else and this is why he seperates himself from djs.
    i dont like his productions but to say that were all hopping on a fad,everyone who listens to him is total music snobbery.i forgot music wasnt meant to be enjoyed,its obviously all about looking cool and being totally underground.
    for all your giving out id still say youd kill to have his career,and until youve released tracks that are as well recieved as his you cant blast his productions.

Sean, it's this simple; he wears a mouse costume.
    He has zero respect for people dj'ing "but was offered gigs, so bought CDJ's"
    He does virtually nothing on stage.

Even HE doesn't respect what he's doing!

"Just mashing the play button" etc. I actually agree with him!

I'm not saying I'm cool, or underground; I like the human league and stevie wonder, for christ sake! I'm saying the man is prancing around on a stage with a mouse costume on.

And you're telling me that it's condescending to turn to the fans of this and say "There's a better option".

Well, sean, the truth is, there IS a better option.

Some people LIKE to hear fatboy slim, etc, dj'ing. Granted. But the majority of the people just want to be there for the spectacle.

At what point did "musician" mutate into "showman"? At what point does the music take a back-seat? These are all things I'm deadly serious about questioning.

If you wanna see a show, then fine. But if you want to hear music, I reckon either buy his records, or go to another show. Just my two cents.

And I KNOW I'm in the minority, here.

And I KNOW it looks like I'm looking down my nose. But basically, this WHOLE scene (tiesto, etc) is incredible, in that music almost takes the back seat.

Who so many DJ's (In Ireland especially) are so up their own arse's is beyond me.

I've been called a music snob before, and I'd admit to it at times, because I cannot stand the likes of Cascada, Basshunter & Tiesto etc - but to snub talent like Deadmau5 is just ridiculous. He's one of the most popular artists on Beatport, a site frequested almost completely be musically educated DJ's. It's not like MTC Dance or something which is followed largely by teenage muppets.

Deadmau5 is one of the most played producers by many of the world big name DJ's. If he's good enough for them, but you think you know better, you guys really need to get over yourselves!

And as it happens, I wouldn't kill to have his career. Nor would I care to have Eminem's career. Or any of these two-year guys. It must be incredibly stressful after a short while.

Playing music is for fun, for me. I have my real job, and it pays me plenty. I'll still be at home making music, and listening to music, far after its cool, cos I like it. I'm not dj'ing with the view of getting gigs, I'm playing music. When I get gigs its because people like the music I like, and like the music I play. I don't understand what these people do what they do FOR, other than money.

You don't sit at home and think "ah i'll put on some backing music, and put on my mouse costume now and it'll be a great buzz".

Maybe some people do....

If he loves music, he probably hates the fact that he has to listen to the same songs, the same way, every night.

This isn't borne out of musical snobbery. There's plenty of artists in the mainstream that I admire.

But i'll never understand the "press play, and crowdsurf" mentality.

Zascar wrote: »
    Who so many DJ's (In Ireland especially) are so up their own arse's is beyond me.

I've been called a music snob before, and I'd admit to it at times, because I cannot stand the likes of Cascada, Basshunter & Tiesto etc - but to snub talent like Deadmau5 is just ridiculous. He's one of the most popular artists on Beatport, a site frequested almost completely be musically educated DJ's. It's not like MTC Dance or something which is followed largely by teenage muppets.

Deadmau5 is one of the most played producers by many of the world big name DJ's. If he's good enough for them, but you think you know better, you guys really need to get over yourselves!

Ah would you ever grow up.

Beatport is 90% rubbish. Do you know what else is terrible, that all the "underground" dj's are playing? That "Zum Zum" track. Its awful. Some of my best buddies are playing it. But i'll still tell them its TERRIBLE.

It's not about looking down. Its about deciding YOURSELF whats good.

God forbid beatport should tell you whats good. You're very naiive to think John Aquaviva doesn't influence that site, too.

Sean, it's this simple; he wears a mouse costume.
    He has zero respect for people dj'ing "but was offered gigs, so bought CDJ's"
    He does virtually nothing on stage.

Even HE doesn't respect what he's doing!

"Just mashing the play button" etc. I actually agree with him!

I'm not saying I'm cool, or underground; I like the human league and stevie wonder, for christ sake! I'm saying the man is prancing around on a stage with a mouse costume on.

And you're telling me that it's condescending to turn to the fans of this and say "There's a better option".

Well, sean, the truth is, there IS a better option.

Some people LIKE to hear fatboy slim, etc, dj'ing. Granted. But the majority of the people just want to be there for the spectacle.

At what point did "musician" mutate into "showman"? At what point does the music take a back-seat? These are all things I'm deadly serious about questioning.

If you wanna see a show, then fine. But if you want to hear music, I reckon either buy his records, or go to another show. Just my two cents.

And I KNOW I'm in the minority, here.

And I KNOW it looks like I'm looking down my nose. But basically, this WHOLE scene (tiesto, etc) is incredible, in that music almost takes the back seat.
    okay the mouse costume is only one for about 5 minutes,its not like its a disney play or anything,its more of a thing to announce his arrival.he puts it on throughout the night and the crowd love it.its called crowd interaction man.think of it as a more flamboyant form of clapping your hands behind the turntables whilst looking at the crowd.
    his djing is mainly his own productions so its more of a live set than anything.
    and heres where youll probably really disagree with me,a dj is not a musician,his music isnt taking a back seat to his show.its like going to see a band and they play all there songs that you know,that you expect.people are there more for his productions and not for his djing abilities.they want to hear his songs,it is a show.keith flint prances around the stage in all sorts of strange get ups at prodigys live shows,how is it different
    lets just cut all the mystery out of it and say what djing is,its picking other peples music and mixing them.its not that difficult really.lets not over glorify it.some people do it alot better than others,but most people dont take it any further than simple a-b mixing.this is totally fine,i do it.i love doing it but im not going to pretend its a mystical process.
    i do agree tiesto is pulling the piss,but lets face it he has a different audience to most of deadmau5 and imo its a step up for people to listen to deadmau5.we all got into dance music through a commercial sound(most people anyway)so if deadmau5 is what exposes people to dance music,whats wrong with that.if they really love it theyll seek out the more underground stuff but why bash them for enjoying something.
    just because you dont like a particular sound doesnt give you the right to think that people who are at the show arent into the music aswell.
    people buy his tracks,and tiestos cds and listen to them on there ipod,with no show involved.i doubt theyre cringing when they listen.i know its hard for me and you to believe but people actually like this music:D:D

wow i just read that back and i come across pretty angry ha ha:D
    im not getting my knickers in a twist really,i just think its silly to knock people for appealing to a mainstream audience.10 years ago it wouldnt have been possible for him to be this popular,but times have changed and dance music isnt the underground thing it once was

seannash wrote: »
    okay the mouse costume is only one for about 5 minutes,its not like its a disney play or anything,its more of a thing to announce his arrival.he puts it on throughout the night and the crowd love it.its called crowd interaction man.think of it as a more flamboyant form of clapping your hands behind the turntables whilst looking at the crowd.
    his djing is mainly his own productions so its more of a live set than anything.
    and heres where youll probably really disagree with me,a dj is not a musician,his music isnt taking a back seat to his show.its like going to see a band and they play all there songs that you know,that you expect.people are there more for his productions and not for his djing abilities.they want to hear his songs,it is a show.keith flint prances around the stage in all sorts of strange get ups at prodigys live shows,how is it different
    lets just cut all the mystery out of it and say what djing is,its picking other peples music and mixing them.its not that difficult really.lets not over glorify it.some people do it alot better than others,but most people dont take it any further than simple a-b mixing.this is totally fine,i do it.i love doing it but im not going to pretend its a mystical process.
    i do agree tiesto is pulling the piss,but lets face it he has a different audience to most of deadmau5 and imo its a step up for people to listen to deadmau5.we all got into dance music through a commercial sound(most people anyway)so if deadmau5 is what exposes people to dance music,whats wrong with that.if they really love it theyll seek out the more underground stuff but why bash them for enjoying something.
    just because you dont like a particular sound doesnt give you the right to think that people who are at the show arent into the music aswell.
    people buy his tracks,and tiestos cds and listen to them on there ipod,with no show involved.i doubt theyre cringing when they listen.i know its hard for me and you to believe but people actually like this music:D:D

havn't finished reading your post yet sean, so take this with a pinch of salt, but you're making a sweeping statement when you say a "dj isn't a musician".
    I know your intent here, and it is fair, but SOME dj's are musicians. Many (most) dj's just play other people's records, but some are different. It comes down to the level of effort, realistically. Turntablists and people playing tonnes of loops, creating new tracks, are musicians, in my mind. Now i'll read on...

Yeah i'll agree with all that, even people buying his music, thats fine. Everyone likes a different sound. No problem.

But I cant fathom how people are paying for his "live show".

I feel it to be a bit unfair. And to pick up on your own point; most dj's are taking the piss too, when it comes to this; 30 second mix, 5 minute track.

• Advertisement
Advertisement