Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the big deal about deadmau10?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

And as it happens, I wouldn't kill to have his career. Nor would I care to have Eminem's career. Or any of these two-year guys. It must be incredibly stressful after a short while.

Playing music is for fun, for me. I have my real job, and it pays me plenty. I'll still be at home making music, and listening to music, far after its cool, cos I like it. I'm not dj'ing with the view of getting gigs, I'm playing music. When I get gigs its because people like the music I like, and like the music I play. I don't understand what these people do what they do FOR, other than money.

You don't sit at home and think "ah i'll put on some backing music, and put on my mouse costume now and it'll be a great buzz".

Maybe some people do....

If he loves music, he probably hates the fact that he has to listen to the same songs, the same way, every night.

This isn't borne out of musical snobbery. There's plenty of artists in the mainstream that I admire.

But i'll never understand the "press play, and crowdsurf" mentality.
    okay ill put it this way.i have a good friend of mine who is a very influential producer in the house scene. in order for him to be able to support himself and make music he must dj.there isnt as much money in making music as there once was.
    look at the rolling stones do you think they are sick of playing the same songs year after year.are they somehow less talented for doing this?
    im sure they still get a buzz out of the crowd even if they dont like playing the same stuff every night

Yeah i'll agree with all that, even people buying his music, thats fine. Everyone likes a different sound. No problem.

But I cant fathom how people are paying for his "live show".

I feel it to be a bit unfair. And to pick up on your own point; most dj's are taking the piss too, when it comes to this; 30 second mix, 5 minute track.
    yep ill agree about turntablists,but for the most part were talking about the run of the mill dj.
    why do you think its strange that people pay to see a live show.how is it different to seeing a dj or a band(more so a band i guess)
    people like to be entertained on a night out
    he says he actually messes with his stems when he djs so he mashs up loops of his tracks and effects his melodies(ive never heard him live so i dont know)but for me that elevates his above the regular dj,who most people have no problem paying 20 quid to go see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Well, look, the club I sometimes get gigs in, puts on a "Live" room, and have had milanese, neil landstrumm, legowelt, and others, this last year. They all have some degree of "Live". I feel cheated if I see someone like Fatboy Slim DJ'ing, or even the Prodigy, live. Or faithless, Daft Punk, etc. I had a ticket for daft punk in marley park, and didn't go, as i'd heard their set the week before.

Bands are different; they DO play the music. It may be rehearsed beyond belief for a lot of bands, but others don't. Radiohead play differently each time.
    DJ's have that option too, they CAN get creative. Most don't, cos most are lazy and dont care. You know it's true!
    Live acts, to my mind, have no excuse for not at least triggering some loops and samples. Doing the ENTIRE show live is never going to be easy (at best!), but just pressing play, and crowdsurfing.....that makes me feel cheated.

I guess I'm just destined to not fit in, with this kind of entertainment.

Well, look, the club I sometimes get gigs in, puts on a "Live" room, and have had milanese, neil landstrumm, legowelt, and others, this last year. They all have some degree of "Live". I feel cheated if I see someone like Fatboy Slim DJ'ing, or even the Prodigy, live. Or faithless, Daft Punk, etc. I had a ticket for daft punk in marley park, and didn't go, as i'd heard their set the week before.

Bands are different; they DO play the music. It may be rehearsed beyond belief for a lot of bands, but others don't. Radiohead play differently each time.
    DJ's have that option too, they CAN get creative. Most don't, cos most are lazy and dont care. You know it's true!
    Live acts, to my mind, have no excuse for not at least triggering some loops and samples. Doing the ENTIRE show live is never going to be easy (at best!), but just pressing play, and crowdsurfing.....that makes me feel cheated.

I guess I'm just destined to not fit in, with this kind of entertainment.
    man your really thinking about it too much and taking it too serious.daft punk is a good show.
    prodigy gigs are absolutely the best gigs ive ever been too.howlett actually does play alot of the synths live.
    and i dont think he hits play and crowd surfs,from what i gather its mostly a live show.eddie halliwell,djs and scratches and crowd surfs,its just entertainment at the end of the day.
    i went to see kraak and smaak about 2 weeks ago and everything sounded exactly like it did on the album but it was a fantastic show,the lead singer was dressed in a top hat and tails and was really enjoying himself and people got into it.i didnt care that i knew what was coming,knew all the words it was just an enjoyable gig.nothing more than that.well worth 15 bucks to be entertained for the night:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭gottahavehouse

This is the classic case of a good producer being hit by the commercial tag just because hes becoming popular.... Deadmau5 is a very talented producer.. im not one for listening to commercial djs but he appeals to almost every genre of dance music...trance, techno, house heads and djs all play him in there sets because he is diverse.. hes probably the biggest thing to come out of dance msuic since tiesto and because of that the underground heads think hes not cool enough anymore but really we should be celebrating the fact that a dance dj is making the breakthrough to a wider audience not knocking him for being popular....if you listen to not exactly or arguru or faxng berlin ya cant tell me hes not a talented producer. basically all he does is dj and sit around making tunes all day. hes good and refreshing for the sce because hes making all the other producers have to step up there game...and every producer whn they first come out have there own sound due to the software and hardware they are using at the time if you look at eric prydz his first big tune was call on me and it was cheese to the core....it took him yrs to gain back the credibility he lost because of that tune but hes gotten it back and now hes one the finest producers out der...this is a classic example of suffering becuse of your own popularity

Ah, look, I'm gonna have to leave now....

Eddie halliwell is where I draw the line; his faking scratching REALLY gets me!

I agree, on one last thing; I DO worry about this issue a tad too much.

Why big acts are big.

Some, to my mind, earn it. Others seem to be gifted it. I never understand the ones who are gifted it.

This is the classic case of a good producer being hit by the commercial tag just because hes becoming popular.... Deadmau5 is a very talented producer.. im not one for listening to commercial djs but he appeals to almost every genre of dance music...trance, techno, house heads and djs all play him in there sets because he is diverse.. hes probably the biggest thing to come out of dance msuic since tiesto and because of that the underground heads think hes not cool enough anymore but really we should be celebrating the fact that a dance dj is making the breakthrough to a wider audience not knocking him for being popular....if you listen to not exactly or arguru or faxng berlin ya cant tell me hes not a talented producer. basically all he does is dj and sit around making tunes all day. hes good and refreshing for the sce because hes making all the other producers have to step up there game...and every producer whn they first come out have there own sound due to the software and hardware they are using at the time if you look at eric prydz his first big tune was call on me and it was cheese to the core....it took him yrs to gain back the credibility he lost because of that tune but hes gotten it back and now hes one the finest producers out der...this is a classic example of suffering becuse of your own popularity

Prydz didnt gain back credibility; I was buying his stuff on mouseville, very soon after that "call on me" track, without even knowing it was him. It doesnt affect anything, who made the music.

This isn't about hating the big guy; this is about thinking that someone with obvious music and less-than-amazing live shows doesn't deserve the hype. Thats it.

Green velvet; Huge act. Made it very big in the pop charts, I'm going to see him tonight. Just an example.

Deadmau5. Huge hype. No real reason. Japanese popstars. Huge hype. No real reason. etc etc etc

Ah, look, I'm gonna have to leave now....

Eddie halliwell is where I draw the line; his faking scratching REALLY gets me!

I agree, on one last thing; I DO worry about this issue a tad too much.

Why big acts are big.

Some, to my mind, earn it. Others seem to be gifted it. I never understand the ones who are gifted it.
    was just an example of a dj doing a bit more than a-b but yeah hes not a real scratch dj ill agree:D

Prydz didnt gain back credibility; I was buying his stuff on mouseville, very soon after that "call on me" track, without even knowing it was him.

This isn't about hating the big guy; this is about thinking that someone with obvious music and less-than-amazing live shows doesn't deserve the hype. Thats it.

Green velvet; Huge act. Made it very big in the pop charts, I'm going to see him tonight. Just an example.

Deadmau5. Huge hype. No real reason. Japanese popstars. Huge hype. No real reason. etc etc etc
    from a production standpoint green velvet isnt great imo,but thats just my opinion.i dont get the japanese popstars either but i dont dwell on it really:D:D

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    from a production standpoint green velvet isnt great imo,but thats just my opinion.i dont get the japanese popstars either but i dont dwell on it really:D:D

He's dj'ing tonight! :) haha. I like the type of music he plays when he dj's.

I agree; I like the 909 sound he has, really old-school. But most of his good stuff's quite old now. Havn't seen a new record in a long time. I guess the old stuff wont sound as technically good as the latest really-clean production.
    But he's an ok dj....

He's dj'ing tonight! :) haha. I like the type of music he plays when he dj's.

I agree; I like the 909 sound he has, really old-school.
    But he's an ok dj....
    yeah thats my problem with him,it sounds dated but not in a good way.
    i know some lads who worked with him early in his career and they basically say not much has changed in that regard.hes resting on his laurels a bit,i dont think hes made anything worth mentioning in a while.
    hopefully one day ill be able to live off the back of my previous productions ha ha
    :eek:

KMS. Say no more.

Advertisement