Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OIL CAP

Options
  • 22-11-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi,
    im not sure how, but ive managed to lose my oil cap for my 00 a3. im not sure how long its been missing for but could be up to 4 weeks.
    What possible damage might happen?
    Also where could i get a replacement and would it cost much?

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dont drive it. Is there oil all over the engine bay? Is the car low in oil?
    Audi dealer would have a new cap off the shelf for about €20
    You could get a temporary one at motor factors.

If you were driving around with alot of the oil gone out of the engine, you could be in serious trouble but im sure you would have got an oil warning light in the dash. There is also the possibility of contamination getting into the engine. Apart from that there could be an oil coating all over the engine bay and this can sometimes get into wiring connectors etc causing all manor of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Buy a new one, and just incase any dust etc. would have gotten in, i'd advise changing the oil + oil filter. Just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I wouldnt really worry too much about dust getting in. I'd be more worried about oil getting out.

Check the oil level straight away and top up if necessary.

You should go to a dealer or a breakers and get another cap straight away too, to keep the oil in and everything else out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

As for where to get a new one, main dealer, price, no idea ring and ask.

Has the car run low on oil? Have you checked the oil level, I'd say your engine bay is fairly covered in oil from it splashing out the filler hole.

Some dirt or grit could have got into the engine, them maybe it hasn't, hard to know. What I would do is park the car up till you get a new cap, then do an oil change inc filter to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You should not drive without the oil cap!!!

There is potential for oil to go everywhere in the engine bay, which yes, will cause a mess but more importantly will starve the engine of oil.
    I know that in some cars the oil cap "seals the oil" system, foe example in an older BMW if you pulled out the dipstick or removed oil cap the engine would run a little rougher, especially noticeable at idle.

Get one from a scrap yard froma Skoda, Seat, VW or Audi. They are most likely the same.
    I'd imagine a dealer can't charge as much as 15euro. Or if you want one the lazy way:

EBay VW/Audi Oil Cap approx. 8 euro
    a "fancy" one try the old reliable:

EBay Audi Oil Cap

• Advertisement

Lol. The first one on the list on ebay doesn't look too bad, although i can imagine it being that pit cheesy lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

well i checked and there isnt any oil on the engine bay. oil level is fine, think i lost it when i put full bottle in.
    my car sometimes doesnt idle and just dies, especially in the first start in the morning, and i am pretty sure this mostly happens when it has been raining the night before..guessing the lack of oilcap might have something to do with it!

well i checked and there isnt any oil on the engine bay. oil level is fine, think i lost it when i put full bottle in.
    my car sometimes doesnt idle and just dies, especially in the first start in the morning, and i am pretty sure this mostly happens when it has been raining the night before..guessing the lack of oilcap might have something to do with it!

Sounds like it could be dampness in the distributor, oil cap shouldn't have any effect on this. Does it turn in the mornings?

it usually does with a couple taps from the accelerator..

That could be any number of things:

- incorrect spark plugs used (e.g. hot ones instead of cold ones)
    - Vacuum Hose loose, cracked, disconnected or missing
    - Dampness
    - Oil cap missing
    - faulty idle control valve

Check the cheapest to resolve of these faults first.

• Advertisement

spark plugs were changed in july and were working fine until recently, id guess its either dampness or oil cap, think ill just bring it to garage and see what they say

spark plugs were changed in july and were working fine until recently, id guess its either dampness or oil cap, think ill just bring it to garage and see what they say

The list is not comprehensive/exhaustive. Replacing oil cap should be done anyway. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its about time that this thread was brought into the conversation...
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=311931 idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Without the cap the vacuum level in the engine is not correct.

So almost certainly a new cap will sort out the running problems mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Sounds like it could be dampness in the distributor, oil cap shouldn't have any effect on this. Does it turn in the mornings?

Audi's don't have distributors. They use coils.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Audi's don't have distributors. They use coils.

That rules out that then, sound:D

Advertisement