Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Mobile Broadband Mondem - Can't Send Email Outlook

Options
  • 22-11-2008 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I have borrowed a friends Vodafone USB broadband modem - I'm out in the 'sticks' for a few weeks :-)

Everything seems to work fine.
    I can browse the net and I can receive emails.

However I can't send emails??

I am using MS Outlook (and this was working fine on previous landline broadband).

So just wondering is there any settings I would need to change for the emails? I didn't think I would have to change incoing/outgoing server settings - but maybe I do??

The error message is "System Delivery Failure".

So if anyone has an answer - or tips on how to debug - please let me know.

Thanks

ND

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Go into the account settings in Outlook and change the outgoing server (SMTP) to mail.vodafone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Alternatively depending on your hosting provider you might be able to use the submission port 587 as no doubt vodafone have blocked port 25 outbound.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ndoherty

No luck guys - but thanks for the suggestions.

I changed the Outgoing server to mail.vodafone.ie
    Didn't work - delivery failure.

Also changed the "More Settings" -> "Outgoing Server" - unchecked the box "my outgoing server requires authentication".

Also changed the "More Settings" -> "Advanced" outgoing server port from 25 to 587.

I have an eircom account (using mail server settings : mail1.eircom.net) and a standard web hosting pop email account e.g. using mail server settings mail.mydomian.com.

As I said I am receiving fine - just sending thats a bitch!

So any more suggestion out there? Someone must have had a similar problem :-)

Thanks

ND

Any idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Not much else bar changing to a hosting provider that offers port 587 as an alternative smtp port...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ndoherty

Hi,

Ok using the port 587 on my own hosting provider worked. So thanks a mil for that!!

I had misread the first post - and had set both the outgoing server to mail.vodafone.ie as well as the port to 587.

However my eircom account still won't send - and I've tried all the combinations. :-)

Guess I'll give Vodafone call.

Thanks all.

ND

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gmail will do the trick and can be used with exisiting e-mail addy and it operates on port 587
    You can't use eircomsd outgoing mail server on vodafone but gmails will work when configured correctly in outloo0k and your gmail account settings (from address)

Advertisement