Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bus lane abusers!

Options
  • 22-11-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have started this week filming people driving in the bus lane during its period of operation.Im allowed in the lane because im a licenced taxi,any one i film can be found on you tube under dublin taxi heading.I filmed a black bmw 08-D on thursday morning in the bus lane at UCD at 8.58 am.I contacted the traffic corps today and asked them if it was one of theres!.i got a no comment answer, so what do i do now?.
    The few people i have spoken to about this have said ,fair play,, you do right!!,Anyone got any comments on this?Am i just a busy body,or should i continue filming!
    The camera is mounted on the dashboard,and does not distract me while driving!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Get a life and pick up some fares instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Get a life and pick up some fares instead.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yzfr1jon

Yep! Your just a busybody. Anything that you film cant be used as evidence and if you film me without my written permission i'll sue you. Just the same way you cant take a video of little johnnys xmas play any more without the whole class signing of on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, unlikely to get much sympathy here, but so long as you report the drivers there's no need to be looking for plaudits. These people in the bus lane are the same pr***s who stop in bus bays, park in cycle lanes, undertake using the hard shoulder. They are not the antichrist, but if they are cleaned up of their habits it'll make the roads better for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Your job is to drive the taxi. Its the Gairdai's job to catch bus lane hoggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I hope the camera is fixed in the car and you're not holding it when you're driving !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Scania580

Thanks! nipplenuts,and the others,The traffic corps cant be everywhere,im on the road all day drivin around so i just thought i could give them a dig out,if i see dangerous driving i record it and then i have back up when i report it to the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Dangerous driving fair enough. But there's worse things than someone in a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Can I ask, did you have a fare in the car at the time or were you hired and travelling to collect a fare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Is it true that taxi's are only allowed to use bus lanes when they have a fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd love to stick a camera in my car and report all the taxi drivers who pull out infront of me without indicating, park blocking lanes and think it's ok because they have their hazards on, and all the other bullying behaviors that I see displayed by Taxi drivers.

I'm not painting you all with the one brush, that's not my intention. I do think that there's far more complaining that could be done about Taxi drivers than can be done by Taxi drivers.

I don't think it's your place to tell tales on other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

wtf, so what is it to you if they are in a bus lane. How about i get out my camera and tape all the illegal things taxi drivers do (illegal u-turns, pulling accross 2 lanes to pick up a fare, slating the foreign drivers). Nobody wants to hear a taxi drivers opinion. Just take me to my destination and shut the [EMAIL="f@"k"]f@"k[/EMAIL] up. Get a life and do yourself a favour. Im sure your camera can be put to better use like filming your missus and slappin it up on dirtyamateurwives.com and post the link on boards:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

yzfr1jon wrote: »
    Yep! Your just a busybody. Anything that you film cant be used as evidence and if you film me without my written permission i'll sue you. Just the same way you cant take a video of little johnnys xmas play any more without the whole class signing of on it.

Sorry bud, if he's more than entitled to take a picture of you in a public place and retain the copyright. The only time he may need permission is if it's to be published publicly and not for the purposes of reporting news.

The xmas play example is different. It doesn't involve a public place, and also there are special provisions for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It takes all sorts! Gotta say, though, that the type of driving you're pointing out really annoys me and I wish people didn't do it. Around town, it's often Mercs or Beemers, people that are driving as if they have some kind of entitlement above the rest of us.

I don't think you'll be able to do anything with the tapes that you get - I mean it'd be great if the cops tracked down the driver of that BMW that you were behind on the N11
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=desgarrett&view=videos and gave them a ticket, but I'd say they're too lazy to bother. Also, I've never heard of a car with CD tags been pulled over for any traffic offence, I think they're invisible to the guards or something.

As for the "get a life" comments, ignore them. Any time someone does something outside of the norm it freaks a few people out and they tell you to get back in your box. It's probably fear of being caught themselves on your tapes.

Final point - the shorter your videos are the more people will watch them. 3 mins is far too long, you could edit that down to 40secs easily. Good luck

The standard of driving in this country is not good!taxi drivers are just as guilty as others for abusing our road laws.I dont care what these idiots are driving ,bus,taxi,truck bike.The gardai do follow up reports of dangerous driving,but people just dont bother reporting these people.
    The camera is mounted in my vehicle for my own protection as well as filming idiots on the road!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply,everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Just make sure there is no sound on the video, last thing I want to hear is another taxi driver spouting sh!te :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Scania580 wrote: »
    I have started this week filming people driving in the bus lane during its period of operation.Im allowed in the lane because im a licenced taxi,any one i film can be found on you tube under dublin taxi heading.I filmed a black bmw 08-D on thursday morning in the bus lane at UCD at 8.58 am.I contacted the traffic corps today and asked them if it was one of theres!.i got a no comment answer, so what do i do now?.
    The few people i have spoken to about this have said ,fair play,, you do right!!,Anyone got any comments on this?Am i just a busy body,or should i continue filming!
    The camera is mounted on the dashboard,and does not distract me while driving!
    You are nothing but a squeal for the cops, as you know UTube videos are law binding in Ireland. You would want to be careful, someone you squeeled on might trace your IP address from your informant website and throw a brick through your sitting room window. :eek:

Taxi drivers are the most reckless of all Dublin drivers, dropping off pax on dangerous bends, weaving in and out af lanes, racing traffic lights etc.

Leave the camera work for the authorities, there is enough of them about without "do gooders" taking the law into their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'd love to stick a camera in my car and report all the taxi drivers who pull out infront of me without indicating, park blocking lanes and think it's ok because they have their hazards on, and all the other bullying behaviors that I see displayed by Taxi drivers.

lol

Taxi Golden moments (and these were the ones I bothered to upload!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hP9Q_Mcj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVpKdgqZNg

Give me a bus lane hogger any day...People in glass houses! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

You'd want to get yourself a decent horn!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

How is the camera attachted?

joeperry wrote: »
    You'd want to get yourself a decent horn!!:D

I had toyed with the idea. Its grown on my now however :p
    Holsten wrote: »
    How is the camera attachted?

Small piece of Auto Molding Tape (Badge Tape) on the rear of the camera attached to the rear view mirror stalk. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie

com1 wrote: »
    Can I ask, did you have a fare in the car at the time or were you hired and travelling to collect a fare?
    Scania580 wrote: »
    The standard of driving in this country is not good!taxi drivers are just as guilty as others for abusing our road laws.I dont care what these idiots are driving ,bus,taxi,truck bike.The gardai do follow up reports of dangerous driving,but people just dont bother reporting these people.
    The camera is mounted in my vehicle for my own protection as well as filming idiots on the road!
    Thanks for taking the time to reply,everyone!

I notice you conveniently missed the question posted by com1. Whilst I agree with the sentiment that cars should not be using the bus lanes during restricted hours, the number of taxis with no passengers shows that taxi drivers conveniently forget this bit. You never ever see taxis sat in traffic queues where there is a bus lane. Conveniently sellective in your views OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie

lol

Taxi Golden moments (and these were the ones I bothered to upload!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hP9Q_Mcj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVpKdgqZNg

Give me a bus lane hogger any day...People in glass houses! :rolleyes:

Nice clips, did you not know that some of them own the road and that the Rules of the Road dont apply to them??

I am not anti taxi but it does annoy me when someone like the OP comes on here all high and mighty about illegal manouveurs on the road in the way they did when taxi drivers are probably more guilty than most. As eringobragh says, people in glass houses........

You are nothing but a squeal for the cops, as you know UTube videos are law binding in Ireland. You would want to be careful, someone you squeeled on might trace your IP address from your informant website and throw a brick through your sitting room window. :eek:

Ah come on will ye get a grip :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Duzzie wrote: »
    I notice you conveniently missed the question posted by com1. Whilst I agree with the sentiment that cars should not be using the bus lanes during restricted hours, the number of taxis with no passengers shows that taxi drivers conveniently forget this bit. You never ever see taxis sat in traffic queues where there is a bus lane. Conveniently sellective in your views OP.
    I agree but I'd say this is impossible to police though, all the driver has to do is say he's on his way to pick up a fare.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

how about reporting your fellow taxi men? lets face it,they are the most dangeous things in dublin city centre.

there were double parked at the taxi rank on o'connell street at 8pm last night, pulling out with indicating. coming to a complete standstill with no warning

hmmm, may be i will start doing that instead and sending to the taxi regulator who wont do anything about it, just like the amount of times i have phoned up with taxi drivers numbers and name to be told they dont exist in their database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is this a 24 hour bus lane?

Which one is the slow lane?

There are 2000 illegal taxis, operating in the greater dublin area at the moment.yes i agree that there are people driving taxis that shouldnt be allowed on the road, ive been bulled off the road too by these idiots!
    i put the camera there for a good reason,xpert taxis already have interior cameras,continental trucks are now being fitted with motion sensor cameras,that are activated by sudden movements.
    The camera never lies,i will name and shame every piece of idiot driving i catch on my camera!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Thread of the month!

Some great quotes!

Fair play eringobragh for posting the vids,i think the phrase is owned!

Also mr taxi man,in that youtube vid you seem to be travelling down that road at a fair old lick,i don't know the stretch or can't recognise it - whats the speed limit? of course i mean whats the speed limit that us normal road users have to abide by lol!

You have some cheek in fairness,i knew taxi drivers were renowned for their hard necks but you take the biscuit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement