Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portfolio's - What do Employers look for?

• 22-11-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Can someone give me some pointers as to what employers like to see in portfolio's for interviews?

As part of each year in college we are asked to submit a A3 booklet of what we think is our best work. Obviously it should be good enough to bring to interviews then. However, since it's at the end of the year it always gets left to the last minute when you throw something together.

I have since finishing college re-done my portfolio properly and put more effort in it. It includes various drawings such as, details, elevations, plans, some 3d work, part of my thesis work, some compilations of reports, some sketch work etc.

While I'm happy enough with it there's always room for improvement :D And since I've got tones of free time I figure I best improve upon it some more.

Also, anyone know a good website for displaying your portfolio? I've uploaded my stuff to www.carbonmade.com which works quite well and looks pretty good. It allows 35 images over 4 projects, I've got another 12 left that I can utilise.

any pointers appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

As an employer, I look for someone that demonstrates a high standard across the board. You need to show that you have the ability to prepare a set of drawings from start to completion without omissions. They need obviously to conform to all the standards and presented in a way that would catch my eye.

The above are the basics and on top of that you will need to demonstrate an ability to progress, think on your feet and have exceptional communication and project management skills.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Ditto and practical workability of details, which should be presented in a clear, concise eye catching manner but presentation will always come second to good clear detailing, imo.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree, details, wall - sections, 3d, perspectives, sketches, mixed media - a bit of variety. A3 is fine with about 15 - 25 sheets.

Know your Portfolio inside out, know the answers to all the questions - nothing as bad as asking a person about a drawing in their Portfolio and they don't seem to know the answer!???

If I see a Detail or plan, I'll ask a question, if its your work - you'll know the answer. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thanks for the replies!

What about College work vs Office work?

Most of what I have done is from the past 3 yrs in college.

I have drawings here that I done before starting college, most of which I feel isn't a fraction as good as my college work. I also have a few drawings that I worked on while in a Dublin office, i'll bring this with me ofc.

In my portfolio, right now, i've 21 pages (A3) 2 of which are images only. I've mostly Plans, Sections, elevations and details of various projects as well as some 3D work from my thesis, another project and 1 or 2 details. Sketches, while I can do them, aren't pretty or anything so i've little of that, I tend to work things out much better in my head and with cad.

I rather not put a link up to my work here but I can PM it if you want to have a look and give me some pointers.

Thanks
    Jozi

EDIT: Meant to add, I have all my work printed A3 and bound by year as well as a A3 booklet from what i worked on in an office and a collection/summery of my work. To much to bring to interviews? My portfolio (collection/summery of my work) would be my main piece to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Jozi,

The relationship between college work and industry standards is weak. You will find that many lecturers (long-timers) have no understanding of what is required in the real world. I have seen projects completed by technicians with details for that one in a million project if you are lucky enough to get work with Norman Foster.

The first job i got, the Architect on my first day said forget everything they taught you in college, you start real work today. from that i believe that the work experience you done will give a better indication of your abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm going to be ticking away this week at adding some more work to my portfolio. Mainly from 1st year, which I have none, and also from when I was working for the summer of last year.

The big difference between college and working I found was that in college your working to please lecturers while in an office they want solutions which are buildable as easy as possible. There was some adapting but I feel I learned from it and that helped me again in college.

Advertisement