Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW VRT

Options
  • 22-11-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone on here had a recent experience paying VRT on a BMW as I've heard various stories from different people. I'm About to pay the VRT on a 2005 320CD M sport (leather seats). Online site says 5400 but i've heard if its inspected this can go up. Some people I've talked to say they had the car inspected for extras and others didn't. It seems very hit and miss. Anyone had any experience of Santry VRT office? I'd be very interested to know if anyone has had an recent experiences.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Brought a 2006 BMW 320 D SE in about 4 weeks ago. Done the calcualtion on the VRT site and got a draft for that amount. Went to the office 5 mins before their lunch hoping that they wouldn't check the car. No such luck.

The woman ther said as it was a bmw and less than 4 years old she was sending the details to Roslare to check for extras. Cost me an extra 500 euro.

Whats more she tried to tell me it was an E90 and not an E46. This would have cost me an extra 800. Spent 2 days fighting with her to persuade her that it was an E46.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I vrt'd my bmw 318ci in cork. They said they had to inspect it but that if i got an official options/extras statement from BMW an inspection was not needed. All this infor is kept on your key and on the BMW Euro database. i went to BMW and asked for a print out of the sheet which they gave me. Went to the VRT office and showed them.
    THe handy thing about having this sheet was that it didnt show extras that were fitted after purchasing
    the previous owner of my car went to BMW after buying it and put on 18" M sport alloys and the CD played in the boot. These were not stated on the list given by bmw so i was not charged. (which by right i dont think i should be tbh as they were aftermarket products but officially BMW).
    also the list didnt show the items that were standard in the UK but options in Ireland like the digital climate control and the arm rest etc etc

I was only charged 750 for leather M sport seats and met paint.the car was 03 and vrt'd in sept 06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Thanks for the swift response guys,

Foxirl, Can i ask which VRT office you went to? Also did they give you a reason for the extra 500 euro? The only extra's this car has are the leather seats and metallic paint, Hopefully it won't come to much more. I read your E46/E90 story from another thread. The "computer says no" woman from Little Britain comes to mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

ALL VRT offices will send off the Rosslare for the extras list (& associated costs) for any German car under 4 years old.

You are then charged the appropriate VRT rate on the value of these extras as deemed by Revenue, the appropriate VRT rate is the VRT rate of the car (CO2 emissions dependent). They seem to depreciate the value of the extras over 4 years then VRT on that.
    Hence they don't bother getting a check on 5 year old cars & older.

Worked Example:
    So if an extra costs €4,000 new (e.g. Leather, PDC, Climate Control), after three years (i.e. on a 2005 car) it should be worth €1,000 in the eyes of the revenue (in theory), the value of the car here is €1,000 more.
    If the VRT rate of the car that the extras are attached to is 30% then the VRT payable is €300 on the extras.
    This is the additional VRT paid on top of the rate quoted on www.revenue.ie

That's my take on it anyway. Anyone a different experience/opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

foxirl wrote: »
    Whats more she tried to tell me it was an E90 and not an E46. This would have cost me an extra 800. Spent 2 days fighting with her to persuade her that it was an E46.

A friend of mine ad a similar issue clearing a 520i Sport. The revenue guy insisted it was an ///M car as it had ///M badges on it. My friend spent a bit of time explaining the story to him despite is saying 520i Sport in the V5.

I suppose the thing to remember they people in the VRO are in the business of collecting tax, not being motor experts. Sometimes it's hard to align in our heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

ALL VRT offices will send off the Rosslare for the extras list (& associated costs) for any German car under 4 years old.

Thats not true, I brought in 3 year old Audi A4 last month and registered it in Tallaght. I went in with all the forms filled out and I placed the bank draft for the exact amount from their website on the counter and she just handed me my new reg without even asking was the car outside, never mind inspecting it.

It seems to be very hit and miss with no definite rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Thanks for the swift response guys,

Foxirl, Can i ask which VRT office you went to? Also did they give you a reason for the extra 500 euro? The only extra's this car has are the leather seats and metallic paint, Hopefully it won't come to much more. I read your E46/E90 story from another thread. The "computer says no" woman from Little Britain comes to mind :P

My extras
    Metallic Paint €981
    Leather Seats €2214
    Phone Prep Kit €720
    Hi Line Package (This is larger Alloys etc) €2245

The total of this was €6160. They depreciate the extras over aperiod of 4 years so as my car was a mid 2006 they wer depreciated to 2550 and as my emmisions gave me a rate of 20% I paid 510 on the extras ( ie 20% of 2550).

Just as a follow up to my VRT ordeal. I got an official Email from BMW to prove that my car was an E46 and the lady still wouldn't aggree. I had about 20 pages of litreature from the web and she wouldn't aggree. I then noticed the page that had been faxed from Roslare to her regarding my extras sitting on her desk and it actually said my car was an E46. I pointed this out to her but she still did not aggree. i told her that I was leaving the building before I lost my temper with her. About 10 mininutes later I got a call from her to let me know that she had rang rosslare and that it was actually an E46. No apology or nothing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

ask for her manager and complain maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

it can just be complete hit and miss,most of the time if ya just bluff it or get a buddy you no deals with them frequently to deal with them,myself and my buddy would clear cars brought in from uk n north for a garage or just to sell on oursleves, but thet're just so used to seeing us and like above just getttin the money landed infront of them that they dont care if the cars outside,the whole system is a joke really,the kinda way they work is taking the base/similar model of the car and anything extra from that they charge ya for.as for complaining, its the public service,you'll get nothing from em

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Brought mine through in May, not a question asked, however it is 8 years old.
    Still, a very big car with probably the most options available to it than any other car and no-one batted an eyelid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement