Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party rock songs

Options
  • 22-11-2008 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I work in a bar and we aim our music towards big hits and stuff that people know and love. We play everything from the 60's to now.

Depending on the time of day, late at night, early morning or feel of the crowd, we play different tracks to keep the floor going and the people singing along or dancing away.

Our fri/sat night play lisy could include anything from

Brian Adams to Bon Jovi, to AC/DC
    Even Metro Station, to Pink to Miley Cyrus.
    Elemno P, Hinder, Michael Jackson, Clearance Clearwater, Dobbie Brothers, Foo Fighters, Madonna, U2, Killers, Kings of Leon

Late at night, its songs that everyone knows.

What I'm looking to do is introduce some new big songs that a crowd of piss heads would like.

Can anyone help?

We don't play R&B/Hip Hop or House/Dance music. Even some of the remixes or certain tracks fall past our market.

Anyone able to give me some ideas?

Fun party drinking music is what I'm after

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen, cheesy as that is, it gets people on the floor.

Your best bet is to scout bar regulars, or even have someone do it, find out if they're wearing band shirts and work from there. Get one down on the floor, they'll drag one or two mates, who'll attract one or two girls and thus the domino effect begins.

It's the same venue, so the trick is to know your audience as far as musical taste is concerned. Don't put too much emphasis in getting new music out there, otherwise you might alienate em and send em packing elsewhere. Slow but gradual is your key.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Andrew WK, Bloodhound Gang, Electric Six, Rob Zombie, Pitchshifter, Dropkick Murphys (if you're feeling a bit "Irish"), Queens Of The Stone Age, Guns N' Roses (for the boggers, whom mostly ruined GnR for me), Enter Shikari (pick the song depending on the crowd), L7, OK Go, Beastie Boys (I Know they're more Hip Hop, but they more than suit a rock party), Blink 182 (not a fan personally though), Rammstein, Primus, Kiss (almost forgot! :)), Judas Priest, Bruce Springsteen (saddly, another one for the boggers), Mötley Crüe (almost forgot aswell!), The Offspring, Frank Zappa, Alien Ant Farm, Pearl Jam, David Lee Roth, Van Halen (not only Jump), Limp Bizkit (Almost forgot too!), Thin Lizzy, Green Day, White Stripes, Rage Against The Machine, Weezer, King Of Leon, AC/DC, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billy Idol, The Strokes, Marilyn Manson, Def Leppard, Foo Fighters, Dire Straits, Autograph, Robert Palmer, The Hives, The Automatic.

Is that enough??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rabies wrote: »
    What I'm looking to do is introduce some new big songs that a crowd of piss heads would like.

Oasis. All piss heads of a certain age, around 18-25 love drunken Oasis sing alongs. Anything from the first three albums would go down a storm bar wonderwall

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nailz wrote: »
    Andrew WK, Bloodhound Gang, Electric Six, Rob Zombie,

that would of been plenty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Best party tune of the '80s -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOoZAyJrB-8

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    that would of been plenty :D

LOL! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen, cheesy as that is, it gets people on the floor.

Your best bet is to scout bar regulars, or even have someone do it, find out if they're wearing band shirts and work from there. Get one down on the floor, they'll drag one or two mates, who'll attract one or two girls and thus the domino effect begins.

It's the same venue, so the trick is to know your audience as far as musical taste is concerned. Don't put too much emphasis in getting new music out there, otherwise you might alienate em and send em packing elsewhere. Slow but gradual is your key.
    Have that, along with a few more that fit in to category, Black Betty, Sweet Home Alabama, Mustang Sally etc

Always great crowd pleaser's

The bar is know for its chessey party music. We're trying to introduce some new songs to shake it up a little. New doesn't exactly mean current, just never played.

The music isn't going to be changed over night, we're introducing new tracks the every night for the past 8 weeks. But we still play the big songs for the crowd.
    Nailz wrote: »
    Andrew WK, Bloodhound Gang, Electric Six, Rob Zombie, Pitchshifter, Dropkick Murphys (if you're feeling a bit "Irish"), Queens Of The Stone Age, Guns N' Roses (for the boggers, whom mostly ruined GnR for me), Enter Shikari (pick the song depending on the crowd), L7, OK Go, Beastie Boys (I Know they're more Hip Hop, but they more than suit a rock party), Blink 182 (not a fan personally though), Rammstein, Primus, Kiss (almost forgot! :)), Judas Priest, Bruce Springsteen (saddly, another one for the boggers), Mötley Crüe (almost forgot aswell!), The Offspring, Frank Zappa, Alien Ant Farm, Pearl Jam, David Lee Roth, Van Halen (not only Jump), Limp Bizkit (Almost forgot too!), Thin Lizzy, Green Day, White Stripes, Rage Against The Machine, Weezer, King Of Leon, AC/DC, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billy Idol, The Strokes, Marilyn Manson, Def Leppard, Foo Fighters, Dire Straits, Autograph, Robert Palmer, The Hives, The Automatic.

I've nearly all of those on my play list. But only a couple of songs from each is only played. People don't want to hear songs they can't sing along to.

Throw Sublime in to that list, they're a huge hit.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Oasis. All piss heads of a certain age, around 18-25 love drunken Oasis sing alongs. Anything from the first three albums would go down a storm bar wonderwall
    Nope. Doesn't work.

Basicly my age group, music we play and time is below. I can be tough at times

From 3pm-7pm
    Customers are 30+ years old
    Out for a few drinks, easy mixture or current and older rock and pop played.

7pm-9pm
    25+ years old
    Pace picks up, customers are starting they're night. Nothing too heavy is played but its working towards it.

9pm-3am
    This is the cruical time. Play the right party music at the start, hold your crowd, get a dace floor going and make loads of money.

3am-6am
    Intox levels are rising in the bar, people want more and more sing along songs, this where the big cheese songs and songs people love to sing along to crawl out. Nothing to hard and heavy can be played, if you tire the floor out, your dance floor leave, no girls on the floor, no guys staying to drink and try to hook up with the girls. we close early with takings down on normal.

If you look at it as 20 songs an hour. The bar is open 15hrs Fri and Sat. That is only 300 songs, but you need to have 9hrs of songs EVERYONE knows and loves to make a good night.

I've only got 5hrs sleep last night. Did a long shift, 2pm-5am. My mind is half asleep. When I'm in work later I'll pull down a couple of songs and give you guys an idea of what works and what the crowd loves. Maybe you'll be able to add a few good ones.

Thanks for the help so far.

Aw yeah, I would hardly say use any old song off that artist.

Advertisement