Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of answers (irish)

Options
  • 22-11-2008 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey. I'm a bit daunted because of the length my teacher is implying (or, rather, directly saying) that we have to write for Irish answers. Right now, in 5th year, we're supposed to be able to write two and a half pages for essays and the same for poetry questions. By 6th year, we are supposed to be able to write 5 pages on essays and about 4 on poetry. Is she trippin'? How much do other HL people ordinarily write on average, and if it's the same as what my teacher is talking about, what is the ratio of the insane people to sane people that do the HL Irish LC test? Thank youuuu....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

my teacher is pretty much the same actually. 4 a4 pages for poetry and 3a4 for essay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

now i could be wrong but we were always told and it says in the exam papers literally don't go over 500-600 words (in irish obviously)
    so around 2 - 2 and a half depending on writing (or less if its tiny like mine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Aerb

my teacher is pretty much the same actually. 4 a4 pages for poetry and 3a4 for essay
    More for poetry than an essay? SPARTAN MADNESS

now i could be wrong but we were always told and it says in the exam papers literally don't go over 500-600 words (in irish obviously)
    so around 2 - 2 and a half depending on writing (or less if its tiny like mine)
    I saw that too! D: 2 1/2 pages it is, then. :3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

The most I've ever written is two and a half for an essay and maybe a page and a half for poetry/pros.

Our teacher said about 2 pages is enough, and I'm sticking with her! There is no way I could write 5 pages in Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

For poetry and Pros we are just advised a mark per line not including quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

5 pages is MADNESS.

I can't remember what I wrote too well now for poetry... for the essay I did between 2.5 and 3.5 pages. Poetry... eh... 2 or 3 pages as well I guess. The essay always felt longer though, because you can pad poetry answers out with quotes.
    No point in writing 5 pages full of grammar mistakes they can crucify you for, if you can write a careful, correct 3 pages.

Fad wrote: »
    For poetry and Pros we are just advised a mark per line not including quotes
    That's a good idea that I never thought of... Thanks =D

5 pages is MADNESS.

I can't remember what I wrote too well now for poetry... for the essay I did between 2.5 and 3.5 pages. Poetry... eh... 2 or 3 pages as well I guess. The essay always felt longer though, because you can pad poetry answers out with quotes.
    No point in writing 5 pages full of grammar mistakes they can crucify you for, if you can write a careful, correct 3 pages.
    Are you IMPLYING that my GRAMMAR is MISTAKE-FILLED?
    Well, I think it is, because my two recent essays both got 55%'s... Even though my second essay had quintuple the mistakes the first one had. I think my teacher's off in her assessments on the entire damned subject. :{

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

2 1/2 pages for the essay, maybe 3. I only do about 1 1/2 pages for the poetry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah., just as PurpleFistMixer said, the longer the essay the more room for grammar errors.

Like, if you're going to make a load of mistakes.. you'll make a lot more in 5 pages than in 2.5.
    I wouldn't let the essay go past 3 pages, no way.

As for poetry, for the 3 part questions i usually do 1.5 pages for the (a) bit, and .5 to .75 for the (b) and (c) bits. Including lots of quotes and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I got 18 marks out of 20 for writing less than half a page on Dá mb'fhédir (or however you spell it) in my October test.

Not sure if that says more about my writing or my teacher's correcting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

When people say 2 pages for poetry is that both poetry questions or 2 pages for each question? I'm so bad with knowing how much to write in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

2 pages for each question I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Eeh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

The number of pages mean nothing when you write the correct information. I have small writing, and usually write 2 pages for essays, roughly 600/700 words. Same with my dírbheathaisneis. And poetry, i can't remember, but for gods sake, don't mess it up by writing complete rubbish. The examiner isn't judging you for the number of pages you write.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

well yeah if you're going to write absolute crap don't bother trying to make it long. Just say what you know and is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

Its roughly a page on the pros and poems question of Good irish.

2 pages of good irish for the essay shall also suffice.

Advertisement