Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crashed Cars

Options
  • 22-11-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Are dealers (I'm talking about supposedly reputable SIMI dealers) supposed to tell you if a car was in an accident, especially when you ask a direct question ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes but I doubt they would, any serious repair work you should be able to spot yourself with a good look around the car....don't rely on the honest salesman in this current economic climate...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you ask them directly, they are legally obliged to tell the truth. It's covered by the sale of goods act afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

They will always say "To my knowledge the car has not been involved in any accidents"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ClioV6 wrote: »
    They will always say "To my knowledge the car has not been involved in any accidents"

Exactly. As my father has always said, he wouldn't mind buying a crashed car as long as it's done right. I can be sometime's hard to tell if a car was crashed, and the customer will never (or very rarely tell you), so you have to go on what you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SteveC wrote: »
    If you ask them directly, they are legally obliged to tell the truth. .

Assuming they know it's nbeen crashed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stekelly wrote: »
    Assuming they know it's nbeen crashed.
    True, good point. Any dealer worth their salt should though.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Just wondering how this would work with a private sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just wondering how this would work with a private sale?

Buyer beware agus sin é.

Advertisement