Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my dog has ringworm

Options
  • 22-11-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

just got results back from vets after 4 weeks from a skin scraping, found out my 1 year old dog has ringworm. got tablets for him because i thought it would be easier than washing him down with a lotion once a day. i dont know much about ringworm, does anyone know anything about it? also does anyone know how long it will take to clear up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Ringworm is contagious to people if you touch him so make sure you wear gloves. It's not actually a worm at all, but a fungus.
    I got a tiny amount of it on my arm from the cat once, tube of cream from the chemist sorted it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Maybe you should talk to your vet again, I'm sure they should have told you how long the course of treatment was for. I know for the kittens I had it was a week on week off treatment for 6 weeks but it could be different for dogs.

As has already been said it is contagious so you need to be extra careful, particularly if you have any children in the house. If you do get it you'll know as its as itchy as hell!! Daktarin cream from the chemist will clear it up in a few days though. You can also get a box of disposable gloves for about 5 euro.

I washed all the bedding on high temperatures regularly and then threw it all out when the treatment was finished. I also used trigene disinfectant from the vets to clean the floors, surfaces etc.

Advertisement