Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi 250p v tom tom one classic

• 22-11-2008 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi hoping that someone can give me an informed opinion.

Looking for a sat nav without the bells and whistles. I find myself doing a little more travel around the country.

My requirements: e.g. I want to be able to enter say starting point Griffith Avenue, dublin 9 and ending point Gardiner Street, dublin 1, have the journey calculated and when I decide to change route and go down a side street because of traffic, it recalculates fairly quickly and fairly accurately. I don't need points of interest, restaurants, mp3 player, bluetooth etc. I don't drive in UK or Europe unless on holidays but wouldn't mind having those maps if I needed

I have found a shop in town that is selling the following for €100:

1. Garmin 250P - the P means pink :o

or

2. Tom Tom One Classic

Are these good prices, will they meet my requirements ?

Comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

any review i have read says , for ease of use, tomtom beats garmin. i have a tomtom one (latest version) and am delighted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

anyone else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Zakrze wrote: »
    Hi hoping that someone can give me an informed opinion.

Looking for a sat nav without the bells and whistles. I find myself doing a little more travel around the country.

My requirements: e.g. I want to be able to enter say starting point Griffith Avenue, dublin 9 and ending point Gardiner Street, dublin 1, have the journey calculated and when I decide to change route and go down a side street because of traffic, it recalculates fairly quickly and fairly accurately. I don't need points of interest, restaurants, mp3 player, bluetooth etc. I don't drive in UK or Europe unless on holidays but wouldn't mind having those maps if I needed

I have found a shop in town that is selling the following for €100:

1. Garmin 250P - the P means pink :o

or

2. Tom Tom One Classic

Are these good prices, will they meet my requirements ?

Comments appreciated.

Sorry, I don't have an opinion as I know very little about them. Just wondering what shop is selling these for €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Halfords would probably be the next cheapest with the bottom of the range Garmin for about €130, so those prices are very cheap.

A friend of mine has a TomTom and is sorry he didn't get a garmin. I have a garmin and I am reasonably happy with it. It's not perfect but it is better than some other sat navs.

I would go with Garmin over TomTom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

I had the opportunity to try both of these for a week before I bought and the garmin is a much better system.
    The route planning is just way better on the Garmin, the tom tom sent me on some weird and out of the way routes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Arnotts but I think the deal was over on Sunday. Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Zakrze wrote: »
    anyone else ?

I use both Garmin and Tom Tom.

The Garmin is I find much simpler to use. Simply by touching the screen you can check around you or enter new waypoints straight from the screen.

However the TomTom tells you how far you have left to travel to destination, without having to go off screen like on the Garmin.

Maps on the two each have their own benefits and problems, however the Garmin often does not show on screen the name of small towns and villages which I find is a major problem. Again you can go off screen to get this info, but not great safety wise if you are driving.

To sum up I like the two, but if choosing one I would go for the Tom Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Garmin in my opinion , Got one in Halfords after looking around the 250w appx e170 A COUPLE OF MONTHS BACK. Simple to use and spot on with info. Their online updates is very user friendly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

imo
    neither.....

Route66. Has navteq on board plus has an ad-hoc search as opposed to autocomplete, ie garmin / & / tomtom.

Eg
    mysatnav.ie have the RAC version of their R66 ( with navteq q3 2008 mapping ) new for E145

new unit / latest maps for little more than the price of a map upgrade.

see where im coming from...that unit is great, as well as being a bargain!

sorry
    back on topic

Advertisement