Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Peugeot 206/306

Options
  • 22-11-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on how reliable Peugeot 206 or 306 cars are? Looking to buy a new car, everyone says that Volkswagon and Toyota are best but like the look of the 306! Have a good Polo at the moment but would like a change. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My OH has a '01 206, not many problems with it so far, fun car to drive as well but the pedals are too close together for my big feet :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My wife has a 00 206 and has absolutely no issues with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

my sister had a '97 306 until it went up on fire!
    she was driving along and next thing flames shot up beside passenger door. nothing left of the car only the burnt out shell!
    needless to say she'll be avoiding the peugeots from now or any type of french car for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jojo2

martydunf wrote: »
    she was driving along and next thing flames shot up beside passenger door. nothing left of the car only the burnt out shell!
    needless to say she'll be avoiding the peugeots from now or any type of french car for that matter!

that sounds pretty insane, did she find out a reason?!!!
    im hoping thats a once off but maybe I shouldn't take the chance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

no never found out why it happened.
    there was a high mileage on the car sumthn like 135+ i think.
    It might have somthing to do with the fuel delivery or fuel pump maybe.

Id say it was fairly unusual for something like that to happen anyway
    The car sounded fairly rough tho to begin with!

Iv no experience with the 206's but theres loads of them around just look for one with lowish mileage (say 50-80k), and up in the years and generally doesn't look like its been thrashed and you shouldn't do too bad.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Had a 99 206 1.1 for two years now. Had to get the starter motor replaced (very cheap) but aside from that iv had no problems.

Completely agree that the pedals are too close together. I was driving for the first time with wide runners on and I hit the accelerator and break at the same time. I was stationary, so the engine just revved, but it scared the crap out of me.

Great car for nipping through traffic. Love watching fat SUVs get stuck in traffic while I get by with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

martydunf wrote: »
    No offence, but that makes about as much sense as avoiding the road where it happened.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

hey,
    im a proud 306 owner, and im on my second one at the moment. I think its important to mention that i bought my two in the UK where i was living for a while and they're a really popular car over there, and since French cars are a bit soft and the roads are a bit better over there, they last a bit longer. My car is a d-turbo S model which is the highest spec diesel they did before the HDI's came out. Anyway, the 306 is regarded as one of the best cars the company ever made but they are not without they're problems. Stupid annoying electrical problems are the main complaint and things like the heater not working (happened on my 1st car and expensive to fix) are common on the higher mileage cars. Generally speaking the d-turbo and HDI diesel engines are bombproof, better than the petrols, they offer plenty of power especially the HDI and brilliant economy 50mpg+. If i was looking for a used 306 i wouldn't waste my time looking in this country because **** roads take there toll on these cars. You get much nicer examples, loads more spec and loads more variety much cheaper if you go to the UK. If you are looking at one check the heater and all the electrics work, and its worth checking the needle bearings on the back axle on higher mileage cars.
    Hope this helps:)

Advertisement