Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it's a "rip-off", then don't buy it

Options
  • 22-11-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

people have gotten so lazy that they're not prepared to shop around and get the value

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Not much point shopping around because you get ripped off everywhere in southern Ireland.Six mile tailbacks into Newry looking for a fair deal.Now that's shopping around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you just summed up the problem with newry in one sentence
    everybody knows about it

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Imaging the people in Newry.They must be really pisssed with all the free staters coming over the border.Southerners Left the UK 86 years ago and still haven't got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

todolist wrote: »
    .Six mile tailbacks into Newry looking for a fair deal.
    And sitting in traffic wasting all that expensive petrol, many are oblivious to the fact they could be spending more overall on getting the stuff from up north. Also how long are people sitting in traffic, they would be working overtime and end up far better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

todolist wrote: »
    Imaging the people in Newry.They must be really pisssed with all the free staters coming over the border.Southerners Left the UK 86 years ago and still haven't got it right.

They'll be more pissed off when the people are handing in CV's while shopping cos theres no jobs left down here.

Thats assuming us southern folk will work for lower wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

dundalk could become eire's 2nd city, people working there for proper wage, and then shopping across the border

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

people have gotten so lazy that they're not prepared to shop around and get the value

I suppose some people have. Just this week we looked for best value on laminate timber floors for four bedrooms and haggled that price down by €250-00 and got free under lay thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

No competition in RoI. All things are more or less the same price. In addition things are cheaper in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

rubadub wrote: »
    And sitting in traffic wasting all that expensive petrol, many are oblivious to the fact they could be spending more overall on getting the stuff from up north. Also how long are people sitting in traffic, they would be working overtime and end up far better off.

it's one thing to be wasting petrol going up the north for a bargain, but I cannot understand why people fly to the US to buy things. I mean you'll be hard pressed to make up for the price of the plane tickets and make the trip worth your while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Well, I didn't think it before, but even a thread about rip-offs can be co-opted for a political rant about partition and Irish nationalism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

The Bollox wrote: »
    but I cannot understand why people fly to the US to buy things. I mean you'll be hard pressed to make up for the price of the plane tickets and make the trip worth your while

Probably for the holidays as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Phototoxin wrote: »
    No competition in RoI. All things are more or less the same price. In addition things are cheaper in the north.

No offence but those are the words of a lazy shopper.

If you look for bargains and can not find any by all means, go up north. However, I advise you look around. I was in Debenhams recently and saw an ok looking Hoody for 90 yoyos and a nice pair of trousers for what I thought said 50. Got to the cashier and discovered the trousers were 150 and the hoodie 190, and the 1's were faint. I left them back where I found them and went to pennys. Found a lovely hoodie which I have worn every day since, and lovely trousers for 20 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Probably for the holidays as well

Or illegal work. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

syklops wrote: »
    Found a lovely hoodie which I have worn every day since, and lovely trousers for 20 each.

Since better have been no more than 2 days ago! :pac:

It was about a fortnight ago, but it has been washed several times, and is currently hanging on the clothes horse for tomorrow.

It is big and roomy**, and comfortable and warm. I love it.

** and I am a big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How do you get it to dry so quick on a clothes horse?

@Cormie

How is that consumer issues related?

8 hours on a clothes horse in a warm room next to a rad does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

right this just shows how shops in republic r rippin us of. was shoppin with the missus lately in river island or something (one of those slightly more expensive women's shops-i should pay more attention!) anyway, she found a dress, and on the tag it was priced in both currencys. in sterling, a bargain £80. now in euro, bearing in mind this is where we was shopping-the tag said €175 i mean how do u justify that difference.
    no point in saying that we should stand up to big businesses. not enough ppl r gonna do this! ppl from all over republic r goin to north now and maybe it migth knock a bitta sense into the government and corporations.
    GIVE US REASONABLE PRICES ON FUEL FOOD CLOTHES AND LIVING NECESSITIES!!!!!!

paul larry wrote: »
    right this just shows how shops in republic r rippin us of. was shoppin with the missus lately in river island or something (one of those slightly more expensive women's shops-i should pay more attention!) anyway, she found a dress, and on the tag it was priced in both currencys. in sterling, a bargain £80. now in euro, bearing in mind this is where we was shopping-the tag said €175 i mean how do u justify that difference.
    no point in saying that we should stand up to big businesses. not enough ppl r gonna do this! ppl from all over republic r goin to north now and maybe it migth knock a bitta sense into the government and corporations.

Find the name of the shop and write to them, and tell them why you DIDNT buy the dress(Even if she did. When the sales manager goes to the board in the new year and tries to explain why figures are down, he may have a get out clause in your letter.

VAT to go down to 15% in the UK.

We put our already higher Vat rate up :rolleyes:.

The difference has just got greater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The Bollox wrote: »
    it's one thing to be wasting petrol going up the north for a bargain, but I cannot understand why people fly to the US to buy things. I mean you'll be hard pressed to make up for the price of the plane tickets and make the trip worth your while

Well, you do get a holiday to NY out of it.

Wish I could say the same about Newry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

paul larry wrote: »

That's the thing. Tesco introduced it's "compete with Lidl" line which was supposed to save us all money.

Well, that's great except the things you can now save on are biscuits and sweets.

It would make sense that the essentials - milk, eggs, bread, veg, chicken, etc. - are reduced and the useless, nutritionally void crap are increased in price.

I have no interest in saving money on things which are non-essential or which I'd never buy.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    That's the thing. Tesco introduced it's "compete with Lidl" line which was supposed to save us all money.

Well, that's great except the things you can now save on are biscuits and sweets.

It would make sense that the essentials - milk, eggs, bread, veg, chicken, etc. - are reduced and the useless, nutritionally void crap are increased in price.

I have no interest in saving money on things which are non-essential or which I'd never buy.

Tesco reduced a few overpriced items to be the same price as lidl.
    They didnt beat them on anything. And everything else cost more in tesco.

Did anyone else notice that when tesco have a sale now, the price of the goods on sale go up the day before so its not really a sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Tesco reduced a few overpriced items to be the same price as lidl.
    They didnt beat them on anything. And everything else cost more in tesco.

Did anyone else notice that when tesco have a sale now, the price of the goods on sale go up the day before so its not really a sale

Well if that's the case you should report them. As far as I know they can't do that, prices have to stay up for 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

AARRRGH wrote: »

also tesco's own brand stuff doesn't come near the quality of the same in aldi/lidl imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's nice to know that we'll all be stimulating the UK economy by taking advantage of lower vat and lower prices, thereby ending the UK's recession early. That will mean that there will be more jobs available in the UK so that yet another generation of Irish people can get out of the dole queues and take a hike overseas. Still, when those migrants' children come back as tourists, they can be ripped off, which will help the economy no end. Deja vu! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's nice to know that we'll all be stimulating the UK economy by taking advantage of lower vat and lower prices, thereby ending the UK's recession early. That will mean that there will be more jobs available in the UK so that yet another generation of Irish people can get out of the dole queues and take a hike overseas. Still, when those migrants' children come back as tourists, they can be ripped off, which will help the economy no end. Deja vu! :mad:

great point and ya know, part of me hopes thats wat happens. this government has so much work to do. when the country was drowning in money, it was spent poorly, but now when there's none, its completely fecked!!!!!!!! a vat reduction is imperitive, esp with christmas shoppers heading to the north in their 000's!!!!!! (ps if u r reading this mr. cowan, scrap vrt immediately it will make ur position much more tenable!!!!!!!!) lol

Advertisement