Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More help needed please

Options
  • 22-11-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I know the roundabout rules and i'm fine on the smaller quiter roundabouts but when i approach larger busier roundabouts i tend to get nervous. Is there anything i can do about this. I feel this can go against me in my test. I've tried rescue rememdy, its no good.

Also, earlier in the year two of my ex instructors they used to get me to change to 2nd gear on approach the roundabouts. If the way is clear, continue on, if not stop.
    My newer instructor has a different approach. I wonder would this have anything to do with the nerves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Practice, Practice, Practice, practice....and if it's still bothering you practice! Tell your instructor your problem/worry and concentrate on it for a whole lesson.
    And there is nothing to fear about larger roundabouts. They generally work the same as any "smaller" one, just keep your cool, if there are marked lanes, stay in the correct lane until exiting. Mirror, Indicate, Mirror, Manoeuvre.
    EDIT: Personally i would agree with coming to a stop in 2nd gear at a roundabout if you are first. How does your new instructor suggest you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

My instructors way is, if i'm approaching in for example 3rd gear, look for traffic coming from the right, if its clear continue in that gear and if the car starts struggling change down a gear. I never understood what he meant until today.

It's down to personal preference really, which ever you feel more comfortable with. Some roundabouts will be large enough to allow you to travel comfortably in 3rd gear, while others, not necessarily "small" would require a lower gear.
    I'd still say for me, i'd be getting into 2nd gear on most mid/large sized roundabouts before entering, if i need to change up there's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

not tryin to be smart or anythin but if ur nerves are like u say ur best bet is to just listen to ur instructor and not take anyone's advice on here
    thats not an attack on anyones advice but i just think the op would fair out better if they followed the instructors tuition

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Practice - loads of it.
    If you're nervous then try practicing when the roads are relatively quiet...early Sunday morning perhaps? Once you get used to doing it, the other traffic won't be as much of an issue as you'll have the car placement and gear changes under control, leaving you more equipped to watch the road ahead and watch the traffic.

As for the instructors saying different things, there's no hard and fas rule about what gear to be in, as every car will be slightly different. 2nd is fine in some, 3rd will suit others. Mention this to your instructor if the car seems to always struggle in 3rd and he'll say its fine to drop to 2nd on approach.

• Advertisement

guil07 wrote: »
    not tryin to be smart or anythin but if ur nerves are like u say ur best bet is to just listen to ur instructor and not take anyone's advice on here
    thats not an attack on anyones advice but i just think the op would fair out better if they followed the instructors tuition

You will notice how my posts put an emphasis on tuition and personal preference. But also there is the fact that people have different ways of doing things, neither being wrong, just different. The OP came looking for advice as her new instructor has a different method of teaching.
    Imho, and from experience on this forum, just doing everything your instructor tells you is not necessarily the best thing. As in this case, the OP seems to prefer option one, that is to approach in 2nd gear, allowing you to either continue onto the roundabout, or stop if necessary.
    This forum is here to offer advice to anyone who needs/requests it, whether they chose to accept or reject the advice is up to them
    It's down to personal preference really, which ever you feel more comfortable with.
    Practice, Practice, Practice, practice....and if it's still bothering you practice! Tell your instructor your problem/worry and concentrate on it for a whole lesson.

I think the nerves are due to the fact that theres traffic on these larger busier roundabouts and so much signals to read. If i'm unsure if its good to go or not i'm come to a stop. My instructor has pointed out a load of instances where i didnt need to stop.

I've no problem taking critism, but he tends scold me. I prefer approaching in 2nd gear. Also i'm fine with taking the 1st exit on these roundabouts.

Do i make sense. Hopefully i'll go out driving tonight after babysitting. It'll be a bit of a drive but i've a particular route planned with a large roundabout.

Also, something else to add, once i do stop, and read the signals from other motorists i know when its good to go.

darling.x wrote: »
    once i do stop, and read the signals from other motorists i know when its good to go.

What do you mean by this? The only thing you should be looking at is the distance between you and the motorist coming from your right, and the speed etc, to judge when to move onto the roundabout.

Just Merged all your successive posts into one. It makes it a lot easier to understand and read.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

darling.x wrote: »
    and so much signals to read. If i'm unsure if its good to go or not i'm come to a stop
    The ability to 'read the road' usually comes with practise and after a while, it can be done without thinking about it. At the moment you are also concentrating on gear changes but with some experience, this will come naturally to you without any thought.

darling.x wrote:
    ]My instructor has pointed out a load of instances where i didnt need to stop.
    Being over-cautious is a natural reaction when learning and you will probably overcome it with some practise.

Many experienced drivers also stop unnecessarily at roundabouts (but for some strange reason they will continue on an amber light!).
    darling.x wrote:
    once i do stop, and read the signals from other motorists i know when its good to go.
    But you may incur a fault for 'progress'. It could be argued that anyone can stop and read the road. It's the ability to read it while moving that is more impressive. ;)

Keep up the practise! :)

alanstrainor and wishbone ash thanks you so much for your replies (i dont know what i'd do half of the time without the advice you give me). Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

Hi Darling X

The size of the rounabout and the spped limit it is on will most often determine the speed and gear you approach a rondabout.

If it's a large roundabout on a 60 or 80 kmh road then approaching in 3rd is concievable and with clear traffic on the rounabout, normal.

A smaller roundabout on a 50kmh road 2nd would be preferable.....again size depending.....

You should be in the correct gear to go around the rounabout before you enter the roundabout....changing down cause the engine is labouring is not really what you want to do mid manouvre....if at all possible.....

Even if the rounabout is large it takes a bit of confidence to enter the roundabout in third and it sounds to me that what you need is a bit more practice to get that confidence......so I wouldn't be to hard on yourself about it....it'll come to you......

Hope that helps......best of luck with the driving....

Advertisement