Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is Our Plant Dying?

Options
  • 22-11-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

A few weeks back I bought the plant in the attached images from Dunnes. When I bought it it had a spherical shape and was a lovely greeny yellow colour. The directions said to keep the soil moist and keep it out of direct sunlight.

I can't figure out why it's dying on us. Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Even though the instructions said keep it out of direct sunlight it still need sunlight to survive
    Keeping it in the middle of the room mat be the reason it’s dying how often have you been watering the plant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Are you sure it's an indoor plant? If not, the heat could be killing it. Maybe you're overwatering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn I don't think I'm overwatering it, once a week or so. Anymore than that and it'd be swimming in water. I don't usually keep it in the location you saw in the photo. It's normally on a table at the far side of the room, opposite the window. Maybe I should move it closer to the window (we catch all the sunlight in the evenings).

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Magnetic fields could be doing the damage, those are hefty speakers. :pac:
    Just kidding.

Kintarō, that plant does not cope well with indoor conditions as it looks to be some form of a clipped cypress.
    This would be normally sold in the likes of Dunnes to cater for a customer looking for a feature plant within a doorstep pot.
    Indoors I'm afraid central heating, draughts from opening doors, poor light, and occasional overwatering by worried owners as they see damage appear can put paid to the plants chances.

Do you have a sheltered spot in your garden or on a balcony for the plant perhaps?

Ahhhh stupid me, so it's an outdoor plant. I'm afraid I live in an apartment with no balcony. I should give it to my folks so, they have a front and back garden (which is well sheltered). Do you think they could be able to nurse it back to health?

That's a real bummer to be honest. For years we haven't had any plants in our apartments (rented) and I thought it would be cool to have some greenery around the place. I guess I should pay a visit to a garden centre and ask some advice.

Thanks for your help Irish Gardener.

EDIT : It says on the pot that it's a Goldcrest Ball, does that help at all? It looked like the below only spherical:
    http://the-plant-directory.co.uk/cupressus-goldcrest-wilma-1215cm-p-997.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It should come back easily enough - there's a difference between a plant that doesn't like direct sunlight, and one that thrives in the shade.

For apartment plants, go to your local garden centre and ask for some advice - popular indoor plants include yucca and dracaena - both provide greenery indoors and are resilient to mistreatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

It says on the pot that it's a Goldcrest Ball, does that help at all? It looked like the below only spherical:
    http://the-plant-directory.co.uk/cupressus-goldcrest-wilma-1215cm-p-997.html

As I thought, A golden Monterey cypress, albeit one that has darkened in colour due to insufficient light.
    Ensure your folks give it a sheltered spot in free draining soil.

Thank you guys, I appreciate the good advice.

Advertisement