Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Broadband Without Paying Line Rental... Possible?

Options
  • 22-11-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm keen on moving to an apartment on Haddington Road, Dublin 4.

I checked and NTL/UPC do not provide broadband in this area, its a bit annoying as a friend living a few hundred metres further along the canal can get it.

Just wanted to check if it is possible to get broadband through a phone line without paying line rental?

BTs 24mb service is active in this neighbourhood, it says it is €42.50 without line rental, but does this mean you still have to pay line rental to Eircom?

If I have to wind up paying €60+ a month to get line rental which I don't need and broadband I think I may pass on the apartment, but its a real shame as the place is great otherwise.

I'm also ruling out wireless broadband as apartment blocks are unlikely to let me install an antennae on the roof and I believe the Ripwave style ones are useless.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Incidentally I am aware that it is extremely sad that I would choose a place to live based on what broadband is available:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

blobert wrote: »
    Incidentally I am aware that it is extremely sad that I would choose a place to live based on what broadband is available:)
    I don't think there is anyone here that would think that, this is the 21st century and broadband is a needed utility.

To Answer your question the short answer is no you can't get dsl without paying line rental. The slightly longer answer is no but sometimes other providers include line rental in the price even though its still being paid to Eircom.

Your example does not include line rental though so you would be paying 60+ euro for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for the reply.

It seems as though Smart Telecom is the cheapest suitable option, about €45 for a 6mb service and line rental with no download limits.

The apartment in question does not have a phone line connected up so would I be taking a chance as to whether or not the line would be suitable?

I'd hate to move in and find out I couldn't get any broadband.

NTL are significantly better value, especially if getting TV with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yes there definitely is a chance that you could get your line in and not be able to get Broadband, it would be a pretty low chance if you are in a city and are pretty close to the exchange but it does happen.

Most people here would definitely recommend Smart Telecom if you can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even in cities there are people with Satellite. I'd not risk flying, driving or crossing the road ever if the odds were the same as failing DSL line test in a City.

Is there a way of specifically ordering the line as part of Broadband Bundle deal, such that if the DSL isn't possible (or poor which happens often too) you can cancel line and get install fee back?

UPC cable, Fixed Wireless, Nomadic Wireless, Mobile Wireless and Satellite are the alternatives to DSL on Line Rental.

Thanks guys,

I got in touch with someone that live in the apartments, he tells me Smart and Magnet are available in the area.

Assuming I can get it, Smart seems to be the way to go.

How do I go about doing this?

Do I have to get Eircom to set up the line and then switch it to Smart?

Any ideas how long it takes to do this?

I've heard stories about Eircom delaying things before.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do I have to get Eircom to set up the line and then switch it to Smart?

Yes. Although it is possible to place an order for a line with another provider, you're not advised to do it. eircom do all line installs, and if they know it's going to one of their competitors, they'll not be in too much of a hurry. It's best if you order direct from eircom, then when it's in, change to Smart.

I did this last year, took eircom less than 2 weeks to install a new line, then about another 7 days for the broadband to be active with Smart. You'll need to get your eircom account number before you can order Smart. I got mine in a bill for the line installation within a few days of it being activated. If you don't get one, then ring eircom and request a bill for the install immediately. The number will be on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You are looking foir the UAN (Universal Account Number)

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BT Business do a ULMP unbundle (LLU areas only) where you can covert the line to data only and you don't pay line rental anymore...or atleast they did when I had them three years back.

You'll still need to have the eircom line to start with though, here's a old scan of the order form
    esatunbundle4pa.th.png

So as an example based on there old prices I could have got a DSL Business line for 45e for 1MB uncapped, static IP :) (three years ago) and no line rental from anyone after that/.

Is it possible to do this?

Would be very useful, but I have not heard of it anywhere else?

Cabaal wrote: »
    BT Business do a ULMP unbundle (LLU areas only) where you can covert the line to data only and you don't pay line rental anymore...or atleast they did when I had them three years back.

You'll still need to have the eircom line to start with though, here's a old scan of the order form
    esatunbundle4pa.th.png

So as an example based on there old prices I could have got a DSL Business line for 45e for 1MB uncapped, static IP :) (three years ago) and no line rental from anyone after that/.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However €45 pm for 1Mbps is expensive. Even paying line rental you may do better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

watty wrote: »
    However €45 pm for 1Mbps is expensive. Even paying line rental you may do better than that.

yes, but that was 3 years ago.

afaik their lower end business packages are the same as the residential ones, so it should cost the same (before vat).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is it possible to do this?

Would be very useful, but I have not heard of it anywhere else?

Yes,however it is a business Broadband package so you need to either have a registered business (easy enough do apparently) or pay BT a deposit.
    In my case I paid them a 500e deposit which I got back after the min contract ended (12 months)
    watty wrote: »

As already mentioned this was a few years back, around the time I was leaving BT were doing 2MB for 45e....I'm sure its even higher now :)

Advertisement