Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting out the Junk

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

wannabepr wrote: »
    Hi Guys , Funny Thing I actually Weighed myself this morning and im down to 13 stone:D:D

Thats 1 stone in 5 Weeks. TBH im no to pushed by cheat days. Im in college and theres so many chances to cheat, for example, Nites Out - Chipper, Stuck in College - Vending Machine or Watching Prison Break when everyone stocks up on crisps and bars and drinks im There with my Apple & Yorghurt:D

I don't Mind because ive never lost weight like this before or stayed on a eating plan that didnt give up crisps and junk alltogether.

My cheat day is thursday when college finishes i have a nice portion of oven chips & a bottle of Diet Coke :D Thats enough of a cheat day for me.

For now im not going 2 treat myself to any junk e.g crisps bars, takeaways as losing weight is such a motivation to keep going.:D:D

Funny enough i havn't started excercise yet because im flooded at college with projects but im hoping that semester 2 in feb i will join the gym:D:D

For a 5'7 height, 20 year old, who was 14stone now 13 stone what should be my ideal weight??

Thanks for your advice guys , Really Helping me:D

Are you male or female? I would say about 11stone for a man and 10 1/2 for a woman would be about right, but it really depends on your build and bone structure. Body fat % is probably more important than actual weight. technically you could be 5'7' 14 stone and very healthy. Look at a professional rugby player for example, by normal standards they might be listed as obese despite being extremely fit.
    It might be worth your while investing in body fat scales. They are not much more expensive than normal scales and measure your body fat %. a Healthy man should have body fat below 20% and a woman below 30% (I think). They are not fantastically accurate but give you an idea.

Lowering your body fat depends a lot on excercise, you do not have to join a gym, you can do squats, pressups ans sit-ups at home and these will excercise all your major muscle groups, lower your body fat and get you in trim., This combined with a healthy diet will do wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you male or female? I would say about 11stone for a man and 10 1/2 for a woman would be about right, but it really depends on your build and bone structure. Body fat % is probably more important than actual weight. technically you could be 5'7' 14 stone and very healthy. Look at a professional rugby player for example, by normal standards they might be listed as obese despite being extremely fit.
    It might be worth your while investing in body fat scales. They are not much more expensive than normal scales and measure your body fat %. a Healthy man should have body fat below 20% and a woman below 30% (I think). They are not fantastically accurate but give you an idea.

Lowering your body fat depends a lot on excercise, you do not have to join a gym, you can do squats, pressups ans sit-ups at home and these will excercise all your major muscle groups, lower your body fat and get you in trim., This combined with a healthy diet will do wonders.

Hi first of all im Male. Well although i have lost 1 stone I don't feel like i lost a stone.
    IMO Even looking in the mirror i don't look like i lost a stone although i have been told you can see the difference.

Also Are theses exercises i could do in e.g my Bedroom?

Also what would be the outcome if i didnt exercise, would i not lose weight all over my body??

Yes you can do these in your bedroom.
    If you do not excercise your abs (situps) chest/arms/shoulders (pressups) legs and rear (squats), you might lose weight, but will always retain a flabby look, even at you ideal weight.
    if you want to be more toned you will have to excercise. Also building muscle will raise your metabolism meaning you can eat more without putting weight on. Your body burns much more energy pumping blood to lean muscle than to 'flab'.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yes you can do these in your bedroom.
    If you do not excercise your abs (situps) chest/arms/shoulders (pressups) legs and rear (squats), you might lose weight, but will always retain a flabby look, even at you ideal weight.
    if you want to be more toned you will have to excercise. Also building muscle will raise your metabolism meaning you can eat more without putting weight on. Your body burns much more energy pumping blood to lean muscle than to 'flab'.

Cool, Thanks.. I have quite a small bedroom but i think i would have room to do these.. Would You recommend getting an exercise mat?? From Argos or Something?

Also would be a reasonable routine for someone who never does these exercises??

try to do as many press-ups, situps and squats as you can in one go. Repeat 2 or 3 times in an evening. Concentrate on building up the number of reps you do in each set. No excercise mat necessary.

1 set of the 3 excercises should take abut 3 or 4 minutes, so you can just do them during ad breaks

• Advertisement

The reason i thinking of an exercise mat is that it can be sore don't situps on the ground. Ok That sounds Good Thats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I think you can get by just doing free weights (dumbells) and even avoid having to do press ups or sit ups. I used to do sit ups but never saw any improvement doing them, and in fact a guy I know who is very muscly (and goes to the gym 5 nights a week) reckons you can do 1000s of sit ups and not make any difference. Weights are the key.

If you are doing arm curls then you are also exercising the muscles in your stomach, shoulders, sides etc. If you follow a set of different lifts then you'll get to work out all the muscle groups. I've been doing a regular set of weights nearly every night for the last few months and for the first time in my life I can feel definition and hardness on my stomach. My arms and shoulders are amazingly toned. And my side flabby bits (love handles) are gone altogether. And that's just from doing weights. Haven't done a sit up in months. The great thing is I can do them in my front room while watching TV, for about 15 mins, is all it takes (cos I do every night). What else am I doing, I'm just watching TV so I might as well be doing weights.

Wannabepr, if you'd like me to write out a routine to follow then please let me know and I'll tell you what I do. And you won't need an exercise mat. :)

I agree about situps actually, standar ones are not great. I actually started off using this routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDf0MCR2DU (3 sets)
    and I can tell you it works!!

Hi guys just a quick update. Im now down to 12 1/2 stone and feeling alot better. Hoping to hit 12 in the next 3 weeks and continue the weight loss:D:D thanks for everyones help .

In relation to exercise, should i use the circut on youtube and do it maybe 3 times in the evenings??

TBH i forgot about the link and was doing pressups and situps before i went to bed and when i got up.

I was only doing 20 situps and 10 press-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

just so you don't get discourage, you're weight loss rate will not continue as it is forver and will start slowing down until it eventually stops. doesn't mean you should stop though! i'd be very surprised if you got to 11.5 in 3 weeks. Thats not even a healthy rate of loss!

great results by the way

• Advertisement

sorry that was a mistake i ment to say 12 stones :D its going well but not that well. At first i wanted to lose it as quick as i could. But im losing it at a steady rate so i don't put it back on again. 1/2 stone in 3 weeks in healthy, isn't it?

hi im just wondering if i done normal sit-ups would 80 a day be enough to see an improvement in getting rid of the flabby look as i lose weight. I usually do 20 each time 4 times a day.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Sit ups are not an effective way to get a flat belly. First off, you already have a six pack, but it's covered with a layer of fat. The trick is to shed enough bodyfat that we can see your abs.

Second, sit-ups are not even that effective an ab exercise. In studies, heavy squats actually worked your abs and other core muscles more than sit-ups. For pure ab exercises, the most effective ones when muscle activity was measured were the Roman chair (finish the movement with an actual curl-up movement where you bring pelvis and ribs closer) and bicycle crunch.

Also, the same thing applies to abs as other exercises. Forget endless reps with low weights, start adding weights to your crunches or sit-ups to make them harder, and do fewer.

However, Pilates is good for general core work and should show up in your midsection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you've got a corner in your kitchen units, face away from them, put one arm either side, cross your legs and lift them off the ground and then work your triceps by lifting your body up and down to failure.
    Then do press ups to failure.
    That'll improve your arms and chest.

Hate to bring back an old fourm but Just let ye know im Still doing well and am now 11 stone compared to 14 stone when i started this... 3 stone down:D
    . My one fault is that im not strict enough on doing exercise. Once June comes and i have free time I'm getting serious about doing weights and cardio.

This fourm was a great help:D

Congrats man, that is a fantastic acievement. You have now graduated to having to give other people advice instead of asking for it ;)

Regarding excercise, you should try running. I started back in January doing 1 or 2 miles on a treadmill and am up to doing 30 miles a week (max 10-12miles straight). It is quite addictive and guaranteed to keep the weight off. Also you can have as many treats as you like :D. Set yourself targets. I am going for the marathon in October.

Cheers :D:DCool, Was that 1 or 2 miles a week at first??? I like the idea of eating what i want. Really want to build muscle aswell and turn the fat into muscle. I may have lost weight but i still have a fair belly!!

I meant 1 or 2 miles at a time....I wouldn't go back to bad habits though, stick to clean food and eat more of it. With the weight off and while excercising intensely you deserve a good few more treats thoug :pac:

Advertisement