Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowbiking

• 22-11-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

So i love snowboarding and i love mountainbiking...
    You can see where im going with this. :rolleyes:

Anyone know anywhere in Europe that would let me take my Mountain bike up the lifts?

For anyone that hasnt seen it, thinking downhill biking, but in snow... pretty simple! haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I would say forget about during the Ski season, maybe you could do it at the very end of the season when there is still some snow left, i guess you could always ask for permission but i doubt it due to safety reasons.

You could try one of these instead :)

AlfSnowbike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Was thinking of one of those, but idk, not the same thing ya know?

I was thinking i might try contacting some resorts to see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Yeah i tried out one of those snow bike's and they're pretty good fun, but i'm also a mountain biker myself and after watching that video i must say i think the mountain bike looks like a hell o lot more fun!!

But the dude looked like his tires were maybe a bit too soft, i would have them at a pretty high pressure to get as much speed as possible, you could then drift more easily around the bends aswell.

But yeah defo give the resort center a call and check if its cool to take your bike up on the lift.

Yeah i noticed that about his tyres, and is he riding slicks(for a mtb anyway) or is that just me?
    I though propper big knobblies would be the only way to go.

I was thinking resorts that might not be so "well built up"
    If ya know what i mean, like less peope on them.
    I'm not looking for top class ski resorts to plough skiiers down on my bike or anything, just to try it out, and go forther a feild if i liked it.

that video is in switzerland, i'll see if i can ask they guy wh put the video up for anymore information.

The video tittle is "snow bike DH in Dndermatt"
    Any one every been there?
    There being, Andermatt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have seen a few of the contraptions that Overflow suggested in a few different places before. Have to say that I was surprised with the way he was riding down the slopes though, and from the comments about him having the wrong type of types on maybe the bikers here were too. I was expecting a lot more sliding about and a lot less use of the brakes, which did actually seem to work. Also was surprised that he looked liked he'd get over taken by most people on skis or boards, who didn't have to pedal at all and just used gravity.

Other than Andermatt at the end of season though, not sure where to suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

AFAIK Morzine do it in the winter i was only looking at it the other day.

Ah here ya go
    http://www.morznet.com/activities/morzine-activities-winter.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Tyres for powder driving tend to be very low pressure to spread out the weight and avoid sinking so it could be along those lines. Driving on pack snow/ice, is skinny studded tyres to cut into it for grip.

As for the speed the rolling friction of snow is quite high so pedalling through it takes a fair amount of effort, whereas the skis and boards just sit atop it and glide more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

they have a MTB comp in les deux alpes in the summer that is a race down the whole mtn. It starts on snow on the glacier, finishes in the town

What level is the race placed at?
    Could be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nineten

i was in kitzbuhl in austria and there were guys on bikes..

Nice one man, i'll check that out too. :)

What time of the season was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nineten

early january

Advertisement