Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octane Booster

Options
  • 22-11-2008 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just after buying a Japanese import.
    The previous owner told me he always added some octane booster when filling the tank and recommended I do the same.
    What's the general opinion on octane booster?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Use Maxol E5, it's already the correct octane (or close to) for JDM cars without having to boost it.

Edit: it does make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I used to sell Octane booster to the lads in Galway City Motor Club amongst other things. They used to love it and buy cases of it at trade prices.

It was STP Octane Booster
    stp31.gif

Removes the power robbing combustion chamber deposits to reduce yourengine's appetite for higher-octane gasoline, reducing knocking and pinging, and restoring lost performance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Removes the power robbing combustion chamber deposits to reduce yourengine's appetite for higher-octane gasoline, reducing knocking and pinging, and restoring lost performance

That's not the same as upping the fuel octane level though, it sounds like a cleaner.
    Changing the octane will not change performance unless the ecu can adjust to it. JDM cars are mapped up to 100RON so they can handle it, EU cars generally aren't unless they're turbos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i used to use lucas octane booster when i had a subaru, it makes a small diff
    http://streetperformance.ie/index.aspx?page=product&id=250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

SteveC wrote: »
    Use Maxol E5, it's already the correct octane (or close to) for JDM cars without having to boost it.
    The closest maxol station is a 80km round trip.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    The closest maxol station is a 80km round trip.
    What? where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thurles.
    I could go to Maxols in Monard(40km each way) or Tipperary town(38km each way)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Xylene, thats what most octane booster is. Commonly found in permanent marker pens.

Advertisement