Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDF/RDF Gear Bag

• 22-11-2008 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone know where i could get an official issue gear bag, mine is now very old and beyond repair and fading fast, i have asked around but am finding it hard to obtain one. I would be most grateful for any suggestions/help.

Regards
    DJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

I was just wondering does anyone know where i could get an official issue gear bag, mine is now very old and beyond repair and fading fast, i have asked around but am finding it hard to obtain one. I would be most grateful for any suggestions/help.

Regards
    DJ

Official issue gear is issued on your clothing form. Get it from your Garrision stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

If I were you, I'd ask my QM... Where else would you expect to find one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IIRC they are a 10 year issue.

How long have you had it? Ask you Q for a new one.

AFAIK there are newer Rucksack type gearbags on issue now. So much smaller, but easier to carry. I haven't been given one yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Minidazzler, is that bag an ordnance issue by any chance?.

Reason I ask is that ordnance can not be wrote off to FWT and must be boarded, but I could be wrong on that.

OP, if you were willing to spend money on a replacement (if your not in the Defence Forces this will be the case) then I'd suggest going online and ordering an Israeli Army kit bag, they're way better than ours.

Bigger, tougher and more storage. Its what I use and one I'd highly recommend.

If you fancy designer get the US forces digital patern bag, very nice!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Bag Clothing, No. 32B - Notional period of replacement for the purpose of assessing charges for loss or damage through neglect - 7 years.

But they're pretty crap, and I haven't seen many people getting issued them for about 4 years now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

concussion wrote: »
    Bag Clothing, No. 32B - Notional period of replacement for the purpose of assessing charges for loss or damage through neglect - 7 years.

I've never worked with stores, but that suggests the bag can not be replaced due to fair wear and tear (FWT).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

assuming your are still serving, have you hit base with your CQ and asked for a replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Mairt wrote: »
    I've never worked with stores, but that suggests the bag can not be replaced due to fair wear and tear (FWT).

TBH, I'm not entirely sure what that means - I posted it in it's entirity so maybe someone can enlighten me :D.
    I think that if its obviously fallen to bits/suffered some damage you can get a replacement, which you may need to pay for but you can't look for a new one just because its a bit battered (until the end of the 7 year notional life)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

In the crazy world of the DF kit can only be Damaged, Lost or Stolen so they have reports to cover all these evebtualities.

FWT covers everything else a soldier can do to his kit that isn't as serious as the above.

Example:
    Soldier; " I've had this bag 5 years now and the zipper is broken"
    Quatermaster; "No problem I'll mark it down as Fair Wear and Tear."
    Soldier; "Thanks Q.....(Ha ha little does he know I got drunk the other night and tryed to crawl into my kit bag to scare the crap out of my roommate thus busting the zipper")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Sorry for confusion lads. Im ex pdf and have said bag for a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Mairt wrote: »
    OP, if you were willing to spend money on a replacement (if your not in the Defence Forces this will be the case) then I'd suggest going online and ordering an Israeli Army kit bag, they're way better than ours.

Bigger, tougher and more storage. Its what I use and one I'd highly recommend.

If you fancy designer get the US forces digital patern bag, very nice!.

Where did you buy your IDF bag Mairt, having difficulty finding one online atm.

Advertisement