Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why was Van Persie's goal disallowed?

• 22-11-2008 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

The keeper threw the ball in the air, VP kicked it in the net. Goal. Simple.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Because Wenger didn't buy a holding midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

davyjose wrote: »
    The keeper threw the ball in the air, VP kicked it in the net. Goal. Simple.

Didn't see it, but was he in the act of kicking the ball out?

I think, you can only do that after the ball has left the keepers foot...i may be wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mr Nice Guy quoted the rules/laws in the match thread........
    A goalkeeper is considered to be in control
    of the ball:
    • while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any
    surface (e.g. ground, own body)
    • while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
    • while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air
    It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing
    the ball from his hands
    • A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if
    he kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the
    process of releasing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Dave! wrote: »
    Mr Nice Guy quoted the rules/laws in the match thread........

This is what I hate about the constant change of rules every season. He threw the ball in the air, and Van Persie kicked it in the net. How much protection do keepers need?
    I'll be honest, I didn't realise there was a rule against it, but the fact that there is is bullshot; but keepers are still players, and as long as they are not, then why are they exempt from having to be a part of the game?

BTW, I am a united fan and all in favour of Arsenal dropping points, but if a keeper is going to throw the ball up in front of one of the best players in the world, then he deserves to run the risk of a goal being scored /my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

A goal like that should be counted. To much protection of the keepers I think.why would hart kick the ball when van persie is less then two yards away. stupid decision and im a pool fan for me sins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Said on the magical box that is my tv that its been like that for the best part of two decades. Its not just a case of protecting keepers it is ment to stop players from camping out in front of the box and impeading the free play of the ball thus reducing its attractiveness to the paying punter yada yada etc etc
    you get the point
    .... On another note van persie get sent off for that?
    He seems to have a bad attitude this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well to be fair what is Hart meant to do if Van Persie's right beside him? He can't wait around for the striker to feck off as he only has 6 seconds to release the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well to be fair what is Hart meant to do if Van Persie's right beside him? He can't wait around for the striker to feck off as he only has 6 seconds to release the ball.

He can use his professional footballer skills to kick the ball away successfully. Like the other 99.99% that do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

davyjose wrote: »
    He can use his professional footballer skills to kick the ball away successfully. Like the other 99.99% that do.

Have some goalkeepers got bionic arms whereby the ball doesn't actually have to leave their hands in order for them to kick it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Have some goalkeepers got bionic arms whereby the ball doesn't actually have to leave their hands in order for them to kick it?

Haha gave me an oul giggle.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

why would hart kick the ball when van persie is less then two yards away

coz the rules say hes allowed to :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm guessing most people who would wonder why RVP's goal was disallowed then don't watch football on a regular basis? this is nothing new, he's an idiot for thinking he could get away with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Didnt see Van Persies one, guessing its similar to what Solskjaer did last year?

bohsman wrote: »
    Didnt see Van Persies one, guessing its similar to what Solskjaer did last year?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1788373/

can't really recall Solskjaers but i think it was pretty much the same. RVP takes the ball away from the keeper as he lofts it in the air to kick out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Isn't the dropping of the ball considered to be part of the kick out, which the opponent is not allowed distract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember Thierry henry did virtually the same thing against Brad Friedel a few years ago (also disallowed).
    At the time they said the whole process of the goalkeeper's kickout (until his foot touches the ball) is an untackleable (is that a word?) move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didn't this same thing happen a few weeks back, think it was Hull or Stoke against West Ham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

this is nothing new, he's an idiot for thinking he could get away with it...
    Particularly when his teammate Henry didn't get away with it a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's dangerous to both 'keeper and player. The goalkeeper is kicking at full strength with the range of the ball going from waist to knee level. If players are lunging in at every kick out the chances of a boot to the knee or thigh is too high

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

That goal was NEVER going to be given. RVP was a twat for doing that then acted like a bigger one when the ref talked to him acting as if he thought it was ok to do that.

All players should be made study The FA Rules of The Association and Laws of the Game
    Season 2008–2009 and be tested on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Imagine what a farce things would be like if this goal was allowed stand.

Everytime a keeper went to kick a ball out you would have opposing players attempting to tackle the keeper. Undoubtedly it would lead to injuries some of the time (to either keeper or attacker) Teams would probably bring a defender or two on the line to defend in case the keeper lost the ball like this, leading to a lower qualitity of football.Also do you honestly want games to be decided on the basis of which team is better at knicking it off the keeper like this?

Goal disallowed and rightly so. Tbh I'm surprised that this isnt made an automatic yellow card.

To the people saying this has to do with protection of keeper, I don't agree - this is a seperate issue to the protection keepers get from corners and free kicks.

Tbh I'm surprised that this isnt made an automatic yellow card.

afaik it's supposed to be. it's considered dangerous conduct under the rules of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

As a goalkeeper id just follow through my kick and try and catch Van Persie with my leg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

As a goalkeeper id just follow through my kick and try and catch Van Persie with my leg!

He did follow through but Van Persie had already pulled it out of the way.

For what its worth I though he carried it off fairly well, he didn't bring his leg up too high and took the ball cleanly. Though obviously it shouldn't have stood going by the rules and the madness it would lead to if it was allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Best didn't get away with it. Henry didn't get away with it. Why should Van Persie get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Done some digging through the rule book and found this lot that could be of relevance but nothing actually decisive.

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:

• plays in a dangerous manner
    • impedes the progress of an opponent
    • prevents the goalkeeper releasing the ball from his hands
    • commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped
    to caution or dismiss a player
    The indirect free kick is taken from where the offence occurred.*

The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching it with any part of his hand or arms. Possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the ball, but does not include the circumstances where, in the opinion of the referee, the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper, for example after he has made a save.

Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

+1

Advertisement