Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, finally got around to getting some EST.

• 22-11-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I had been meaning to for a long time now, but I guess I just don't buy half as many CDs as I used to, so it kinda got put on the long finger. Anyway, when I went to see Opeth in Dublin, I picked up Tuesday Wonderland and Strange Place For Snow. Haven't yet listened to the latter, but I'm really enjoying Tuesday Wonderland, it is a very good album indeed.

I couldn't quite remember what had been recommended to me as an album to start with, so I just went with albums that had songs I was familiar with already such as Goldwrap and Behind The Yashmak. Probably nab some more EST albums at christmas. I'll leave a video for anyone who isn't familiar:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Haven't really given them a good listen, but know them well enough to understand the loss jazz music suffered when Esbjorn Svensson died earlier in the year. :(

On a brighter note, have you been enjoying those albums much? I only really know Seven Days of Falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

love them. any one see them in vicar street? WINTER IN VENICE a personal favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bins

brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Got addicted to strange place for snow and viaticum a while back, found it hard to get into some of the other stuff bar plays monk ( a good place to start daddio if you want a modern approach to traditional (if you could ever call monk traditional) jazz) a bit samey. Its good but they seemed start valuing getting an atmospheric accesible (albeit very good) sound as opposed composing interesting challenging pieces.
    Still a great band though despite that criticism, would just have liked to see them branch out a bit more and maybe sound a bit more raw when live as it was practically the same as hearing them on cd - bassist was great to watch though.

Definitely a great band to get someone into jazz or to become that little bit more immersed if you're finding some of the more typical stuff inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

Woke up christmas morning to find the following CDs in my stocking,and that was only by saying to my wife I fancy some EST for Christmas.On first listening its a WOW ,how have i missed out on this in the past

When everyone has gone
    Est live 95
    EST plays Monk
    Winter in Venice
    From Gagarins point of View
    Good morning Susie Soho
    Somewhere else before
    Strange place for snow
    Seven days falling
    Live in Stockholm DVD
    Viaticum
    Live in Hamburg
    Leucocyte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Whoah, you hang on to her Gussie, she's a keeper. :D

Maybe i should have mentioned the ECM label as i was at it,could have had myself a few thousand new cds by now.I think you are right she has to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Has anyone else listened to Leucocyte? Wow. Its....disturbing, especially when you think about how he died while listening to it.

One of the pieces, Ad Mortem, literally sounds like a man screaming under water.

Still can't believe he's dead... :(

Wow...thats a depressing post.

Has anyone else listened to Leucocyte? Wow. Its....disturbing, especially when you think about how he died while listening to it.

One of the pieces, Ad Mortem, literally sounds like a man screaming under water.

Still can't believe he's dead... :(

Wow...thats a depressing post.

Have listened to it for the last 2 days and to tell you the truth "I dont get it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Mmmm, its a far cry from Tuesday Wonderland, and goes back to an earlier post about them creating a sound world more than anything else.

Its a tough CD to listen to, but for some reason I like it. Its just so dark.

Saying that though, I'd still listen to Strange Place or Seven Days first.

As a matter of interest Gussie, what's your favourite so far?

• Advertisement

Gagarin's point of view at the moment ,but that could change overnight as it was A Strange place for Snow yesterday.Problem is i am spoiled for choice at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

strange place for snow is incredible.

I am just back from venice where it snowed and indeed it was a strange place for snow. I also played winter in venice over and over while there

anyway, off topic, but they contribute immeasurably to the moment.

Advertisement