Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarms - Servicing

Options
  • 22-11-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi,

can anyone tell me if house alarms need to be serviced, if yes, at what intervals?

Thanks,

CJM.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To conform to standards for NSAI & possibly house insurance Yes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

house alarms need to be serviced
    Yes. Some more than others. It would depend on the make and how well it is installed.
    To conform to standards for NSAI & possibly house insurance Yes!!
    If you are availing of the discount offered by some insurance companies this statement is correct. Availing of this discount has several details hidden in the small print that tell you your policy is null and void if:

1) Your alarm was not turned on when your home was broken into (yes they can check!)

2) You do not have a monitoring contract (about €100 to €150 every year)

3) Your alarm did not have a current service contract (per year more than €100 + parts + labour and sometimes callout charge too!)

4) Alarm was not serviced once or twice a year.

The discount is so very small (about 5%), that I always tell people not to avail of it. It is simply not worth the risk that if you forget to turn on the alam and you are broken into! Then you can go with the simple and cheap rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Much cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I get mine checked every 6 months, I have had some failing sensors spotted (once), but you could always wait till it breaks before you call them in as suggested above.
    If you want a certified system you will need to keep on top of the paperwork, it's just a question of the value of the cert, for me the cert is good to make sure the original installation is correct, the maintenance side of it is less of a priority to me TBH.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Also bear this in mind, its not likely but its possible...
    If you are recieving a discount on your home insurance for having a security system conforming to EN 50131 then it is a requirement that your alarm retains that standard.
    If your system is not serviced it does not continue to conform & technically may void your insurance in the event of a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

+1 koolkid.

This is another reason why I would advise not avail of that discount. It would be bad enough you house being broken into, but to find your insurance is not valid due to a technicality:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement