Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do Irish ambassadors/diplomats come from?

Options
  • 23-11-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Obviously from Ireland :P

But seriously, if one wants to join the foreign affairs department how does one go about doing so?

In some countries there's a special ambassador programme which churns out their diplomats, what about in Ireland? Is it politically linked in any way? Or do the various ministries have stands at the careers fairs too ;) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Yeah I always wondered that myself, I personally think I should be an ambassador to Venezuela or somewhere simular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

http://www.publicjobs.ie/en/civilservice/thirdsecretary.asp

Become one of these and then kiss serious ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thanks for the link.

So it seems that there is a special training programme then?
    "Third Secretary is a training grade leading to First Secretary and higher levels in the department. Also the top of the ladder in regard to postings would be Ambassador."

I wonder what they teach you to be a good diplomat? I suppose like most careers it certainly helps to know the right people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So it seems that there is a special training programme then?

Insofar as there's a special training programme to go from 2nd Lieutenant to Lieutenant and so on up the line to General.

There's a lot of competition to become a Third Secretary. I recall taking the exams, apparently there were some 13,000 exam-takers, they wanted the top 300 people to advance to fight it out for seven positions. I ranked 1,052. Unfortunately, though I was on top form for the foreign questions as I'd spent much time abroad, I was way behind on Irish history. (First Irish female cabinet member!?)

You can actually advance pretty quickly to a rank such as Consul General which makes you the head honcho at whatever city you're in.

NTM

I hope you now know the answer to that question! (I recall taking CSPE exams for the Junior Cert and not knowing who the current education minister was... in fact I don't know our current education minister either, Mary Hanafin has been replaced right?)

Where does one apply for this exam MM? So it is based on a political knowledge type of questions e.g. GDP growth of Ireland since joining EU, who is the Prime Minister of Russia etc.?

I see they have government solicitors too - may be worth a look at :)

• Advertisement

Watch publicjobs.ie.

They probably have an option to be e-mailed when jobs are announced.

Don't hold out too much hope though. We already have too many public servant scum who are dragging the country into the sewer.

Allegedly.

Heh - not a fan of the civil service then?

I'm sure like lawyers, they are a misunderstood group of people ;)

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Heh - not a fan of the civil service then?

I'm sure like lawyers, they are a misunderstood group of people ;)

Sarcasm and irony is really lost these days.

I think the civil service does a good job. Unfortunately the public keeps giving them idiots for bosses.

Where does one apply for this exam MM? So it is based on a political knowledge type of questions e.g. GDP growth of Ireland since joining EU, who is the Prime Minister of Russia etc.?

It was more wide-ranging than just politics. One question was 'Who is the current Formula 1 World Driver's Champion?' (Schumacher, at the time), but yes, most of it was in the realm of international politics. Some of the questions I seem to recall were pretty arcane and if you didn't have an interest in them, you probably wouldn't get them. Simple stuff like President of Russia did come up, but "What status does Ireland hold within the Western European Union" is a little less common knowledge. (At the time, Observer)

Bear in mind it was over ten years ago when I took it. There was an advert in the Times or Indo or some such. My dad worked for DFF at the time, he gave me the heads-up.

NTM

Western European Union? I've never even heard of that! And amazing to think Schumacher was champion for so long :)

Well it's an interesting job I would think - and it specifically states that barristers/solicitors are eligble for 3rd secretary (as well as anyone with a 1st or 2.1 honours degree).

Irish language requirement/bonus would be a pickle for me though.

• Advertisement

Western European Union? I've never even heard of that!

It's Europe's version of NATO.

NTM

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Insofar as there's a special training programme to go from 2nd Lieutenant to Lieutenant and so on up the line to General.

There's a lot of competition to become a Third Secretary. I recall taking the exams, apparently there were some 13,000 exam-takers, they wanted the top 300 people to advance to fight it out for seven positions. I ranked 1,052. Unfortunately, though I was on top form for the foreign questions as I'd spent much time abroad, I was way behind on Irish history. (First Irish female cabinet member!?)

You can actually advance pretty quickly to a rank such as Consul General which makes you the head honcho at whatever city you're in.

NTM

have you never heard of Constance Markievicz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Foreign Affairs are the aristocracy - or rather, meritocracy - of the civil service, the best and brightest.

But I don't know that I'd choose the life, if I were eligible for the job. A life of travelling from country to country every year, of always having to be tactful and very political (without having any party politics to trip you up), of always being 'on', with constant formal parties, dinners and other events, of always moving your children from school to school and language to language, a lonely life, a life where you get used to 3am calls to help out Irish people in trouble with foreign police or seeking replacements for their lost passports, a life where your surroundings and social group constantly change.

If you do choose it, you're truly patriotic.

It's Europe's version of NATO.

NTM

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't that just be NATO without the Americans?
    luckat wrote: »
    Foreign Affairs are the aristocracy - or rather, meritocracy - of the civil service, the best and brightest.

But I don't know that I'd choose the life, if I were eligible for the job. A life of travelling from country to country every year, of always having to be tactful and very political (without having any party politics to trip you up), of always being 'on', with constant formal parties, dinners and other events, of always moving your children from school to school and language to language, a lonely life, a life where you get used to 3am calls to help out Irish people in trouble with foreign police or seeking replacements for their lost passports, a life where your surroundings and social group constantly change.

If you do choose it, you're truly patriotic.

From my interaction with ambassadors and embassy staff I do know of the downsides with going down the embassy route. I think they only change 4-7 years. And many will leave their children in one country that is suitable for education purposes, and hey I've lived in 4 countries and been to 10 different schools so I know what its like firsthand ;) .

And yes, I love this country (though I wasn't born here - hopefully that wouldn't affect any applications; I'm a naturalised citizen rather than natural born citizen).

have you never heard of Constance Markievicz?

After the exam was over, I went and looked it up.

The problem was that as the son of a diplomat, I didn't get a 'good Irish education.' Countess Markiewicz isn't a character who figures prominently in the Belgian education system's history curriculum.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(First Irish female cabinet member!?)
    Do you get half marks for writing "Maire Geoghegan Quinn (the first Dail doesn't count"?:)

Advertisement