Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - switching from commerce to science

Options
  • 23-11-2008 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, I'm in stage 1 commerce and am planning on changing to semester 2 science (omnibus) and my application has to be in by this Tuesday. I'm about 90% sure that I'm making the right decision but would still like advice from anyone in commerce, science or anyone at all who has any tips.

Because I only did biology for the LC, I'm limited in what I can do in second year (science) to the biology-related ones - biochemistry, molecular, cell bio, genetics, pharmacology, microbio, neuroscience (there are some other ones I could do but these are the only ones that interest me).

I'm quite fickle and am inclined to get interested in something when exposed to it, i.e., when I see an interesting documentary on, say, nanotech. On that note, I'm doing a 'basic principles of cell biology' elective as part of Medicine so it has a disease/drug slant to it and I find it fascinating...but then again, if I were doing a physics elective, I might want to do that!

I'd REALLY appreciate advice from anyone in the above courses (or people who've completed them) regarding the coursework (how interesting/relevant is it?), difficulty, social life, career prospects (including salary expectations :P) and whatever else you want to add.

Also would appreciate comments from any other commerce students who might think I'm making the wrong decision. I think of myself as being pretty enterprising which is why I did commerce in the first place. I also feel that if I were to do science, I'd end up putting it to use in my own enterprise. Aside from being an 'active' entrepreneur, I was interested in working on the stockmarket/investing - though, admittedly, mainly due to the prospect of a high income. Overall, I think that career-wise, I could always do a postgrad six-month course (or something) in business (to pick up the essentials... accounting etc) after completing my science degree, but not vica versa. Two other things - I feel that we're not actually LEARNING much in some of the commerce modules (namely management). Also, the social life isn't the best - I mean, it's COMMERCE and we've had only two proper nights out so far (the first one wasn't just for commerce students, the second was attended by few), whereas the vets have had about 20! :P

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

I'm in final year commerce and I have to say some subjects have the ability to turn you off it altogether, but that is just because the nature of the degree, a general one until 3rd when you get to decide what you want to do.

If I were you I would look at what subjects in Commerce you would be doing next semester and next year and see if they appeal to you in any way, personally I found 1st Year Semester 1 terrible.

But if you are set on Science, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jojo2

firstly, don't be deciding your career on who has the best social life! i did chemistry in college & i went out with my arts friends as scientists aren't the best craic either! job-wise, after college, its tough to find a job in biology unless you want to continue research. any science grads i know are either teachers, phds or work in a chemistry lab. good luck whatever you decide!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I'm in 3rd science, i love it. I don't really care about jobs, but the science sector is less affected by the recession than others.

You will be very limited without 1st year chemistry- you need to have chemistry to do any of the subjects you mentioned. 1st year Chemistry is mandatory for all biology students.

The introductory chemistry module was this semester. I think you could probably learn that whole course on your own over january (it's about 1/4 of the leaving cert course + some labs) and go into the 2nd semester ones, then sit the exam next year, but you will have to talk to a chemistry lecturer. They are all lovely, and they want people to be interested.

Also, neuroscience is denominated, so you won't be changing to science omnibus if that's what you want. You might need the leaving cert points to get into neuroscience, about 450 I think.

If you are more interested in your elective than your cores, maybe you should change.

In first and second year the social life is great, in 3rd year, to be honest, we have too much work! Having said that, I know all my class and loads of people in other courses, and people don't mind the long hours. You meet people in labs, you meet people sitting around the hub. The classes get smaller and smaller as people go into different specialities.

As for choosing a career just for the income... you will be working for about 40 years, for most of your waking hours so it's better to have a moderately paid job you enjoy, otherwise you're just selling your youth! I've always wanted to be a teacher cos i really like science and i have an urge to spread the word. It depends what science you do- if you do a more mathsy one like physics, or maths itself, you have banking options as well as pure science jobs. Zoology and botony aren't great for jobs. Biochemistry is one of the best degrees you could get at the moment- that's where drug development etc is headed. I don't like biochem, personally. Neuroscience, genetics and pharmacology are research based careers, you'd have to really love them but that's not hard when you could be working on a cure for a horrible disease. Microbio, you could get a job in a hospital, and you'd be able to teach biology. Geology is great for jobs too, the class are super enthusiastic and they have nights out, trips etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Thanks for the tips.

One of the job opportunities listed on the UCD website is business... does anyone have any idea what they mean by a science graduate following a business career path?

Any other tips? Anyone have specific experiences doing any of the course I listed above (i.e., biochemistry - which, by the way, some people have told me is awful... would pharmacology be more interesting?)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

im in third neuroscience and i never did biology for the lc...

i feel i defo made the right choice, it is alot of work cos i know quite a few people in other courses in arts, commerce etc and they dont seem to hav as much of a workload as us!

HOWEVER,

I've made some great friends through labs and tutorials, we work hard, but there are a huge amount of nights out. Personally, I love my course, but many have dropped out- you have to really be interested in it or you just wont get motivated. Talk to John O'Connor in the conway institute- lovely guy and head of neuroscience- i know people in the other courses you mentoned and the many of the lectures are shared and workload is similar...

thats all i got for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cajl2

Ha, ok thanks. Application's in now anyway so no going back. Though if any of you have any more anecdotes, feel free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I hear that in science they do 72 hour weeks, with multiple weekly assignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i've just finished my sciece degree - i'd say the first semester would have included a lot. I only did biology for the LC and felt snowed under in 1st year cause there was so much new stuff. In the end I loved it and finished with an honours in Chemistry. Perhaps best to wait to start next september if you'd like to move, cause i'm sure the grounding is there which you missed, to carry you on to the end. You could always keep going with commerce and if by the end of the year you still want to move, then you could go back to the idea of science. The only change is the cost involved.

Oh, well, you might be grand transferring in. Sure, God knows how much of what I learnt in 1st year is still in my head! Everytime a new course starts they generally do brush over the basics, well, in chemistry courses at least. Hope it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

lizzyvera wrote: »
    I'm in 3rd science, i love it. I don't really care about jobs, but the science sector is less affected by the recession than others.

You will be very limited without 1st year chemistry- you need to have chemistry to do any of the subjects you mentioned. 1st year Chemistry is mandatory for all biology students.

The introductory chemistry module was this semester. I think you could probably learn that whole course on your own over january (it's about 1/4 of the leaving cert course + some labs) and go into the 2nd semester ones, then sit the exam next year, but you will have to talk to a chemistry lecturer. They are all lovely, and they want people to be interested.

Also, neuroscience is denominated, so you won't be changing to science omnibus if that's what you want. You might need the leaving cert points to get into neuroscience, about 450 I think.

If you are more interested in your elective than your cores, maybe you should change.

In first and second year the social life is great, in 3rd year, to be honest, we have too much work! Having said that, I know all my class and loads of people in other courses, and people don't mind the long hours. You meet people in labs, you meet people sitting around the hub. The classes get smaller and smaller as people go into different specialities.

As for choosing a career just for the income... you will be working for about 40 years, for most of your waking hours so it's better to have a moderately paid job you enjoy, otherwise you're just selling your youth! I've always wanted to be a teacher cos i really like science and i have an urge to spread the word. It depends what science you do- if you do a more mathsy one like physics, or maths itself, you have banking options as well as pure science jobs. Zoology and botony aren't great for jobs. Biochemistry is one of the best degrees you could get at the moment- that's where drug development etc is headed. I don't like biochem, personally. Neuroscience, genetics and pharmacology are research based careers, you'd have to really love them but that's not hard when you could be working on a cure for a horrible disease. Microbio, you could get a job in a hospital, and you'd be able to teach biology. Geology is great for jobs too, the class are super enthusiastic and they have nights out, trips etc.

Im in third year too
    nah neuroscience aint just denominated.......you could have done it in first year if you wanted.......just do what youre interested in, that way youre more inclined to study it and do well

biochemists were told by theyre lecturer in one of theyre first lectures this year, that its getting so complicated that theyre will be little work in biochem itself more so programming computers to help us understand it more...............great thing to be learning in 3rd year:rolleyes: but anyhow

theyre are always jobs in micro,brewing, etc...................but word of warning its not for everyone...................drove me mad, lot of faffing about anyway

tbh I was talking to a few companies and they all said they would take me on and Im doing pharmacology...............however I got talking to somebody on the quiet and they reccomended a phd as youll get a good paying job but you will be capped at how much you can progress withing the company.....................but thats the same for commerce too so

you can teach biology with nearly all life sciences in ucd.......Ive checked out

and to work in a hospital yes you could with micro but you have to take into account the extra training, by that measure you can do it with biochem aswell.............actually if you were aiming for a hospital lab biochem is a better choice..........tis up on the website as an approved course for amls

I think if you plan on working directly in science some sort of extra bit after college is needed

as for youre question on business most businesses value a science degree, banks used to take sci graduates although I dont know in the current climate

if you do it make sure you really do like it
    remember that 30% drop out rate isnt there for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Sean_K wrote: »
    I hear that in science they do 72 hour weeks, with multiple weekly assignments.
    and in relation to that ...............I hear and arts student giving out about a 2000 word essay and I just smiled

• Advertisement
Advertisement