Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do women think men want?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

I just think the timing is everything, and sometimes girls are ready to know their needs earlier than men. I think some men only recognise what it is they need when they've exhausted their other options.

Personally, I have no problem with the thick and thin, or doing the laundry, if I feel that I'm being given to in return. I'll happily sew on a button if someones done something for me of similar use.

I'm useless with computers, but good at cooking and I have no problem with playing to my talents if he plays to his, I'm not so hung up on gender stereotypes that it'll stop me from doing what I'm good at.

and what would you, as a woman want "given to in return" exactly? love, affection etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Very persceptive metrovelvet-so what do we want from life?

1. Money, success, legacy

2. Play - through sport, sex, violent films, video games, poker, whatever.

3. A lack of confinement of any sort [have discovered this through having a son and being around toddler boys alot - don't think much changes there in men].

4. Affection and independence, meaning being held with an open hand, having love tied to independence, hard to explain, but you get the gist I hope

I have no doubt there are exceptions among men to this list, but you asked for a generalisation, so I'm offerring one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

What do men want? usually what they cant have..

oh & sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

and what would you, as a woman want "given to in return" exactly? love, affection etc...

When I say 'given to in return' in mean just that. Give and take, not one sidedness.

I think love and a affection should be the foundation, not some kind of transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Men also seem to want a girl who is fun and talkative in private but is seen and not heard with their mates.

Unless this girl is a friend, in which case he;s perfectly happy to include her in conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Personally would hope my partner would also be my friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Think she means friends with the general group of mates...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I just think the timing is everything, and sometimes girls are ready to know their needs earlier than men. I think some men only recognise what it is they need when they've exhausted their other options.

Personally, I have no problem with the thick and thin, or doing the laundry, if I feel that I'm being given to in return. I'll happily sew on a button if someones done something for me of similar use.

I'm useless with computers, but good at cooking and I have no problem with playing to my talents if he plays to his, I'm not so hung up on gender stereotypes that it'll stop me from doing what I'm good at.

Another post hits nail on head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

with my friends ist seem they want

-sex
    -mammy
    -someone to cook
    -giant boobs/bum/both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

with my friends ist seem they want

-sex
    -mammy
    -someone to cook
    -giant boobs/bum/both

Your friends are silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Most men like partners as something to keep their penis in while there not using it on something more exciting. In addition, I also like women who don't complain about things like that.

oops, did I just say that out loud?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Your friends are silly.

i know

thankfully they aint like this with their mates or id kill them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I think perhaps women are confusing the issue far more so than men. "Men want this" , "well it seems to be me that men like so and so".

I hate to break it to people but you will base your strongest, most associated memories of "what men want" from two different sources. Fathers and boyfriends. It's just the way it goes. For blokes it's the vice versa with what women want.

The irony is that most of us will base our beliefs in what the opposite sex want off failed relationships with ex's who we never could have hoped to make things work with at the time because we just were not emotionally, mentally or spiritually developed enough to do so.

I mean, i think every one has missed the mark somewhat, or at least as my own individual entity who has his own wants no one came even close to describing what i want.

"Cared for?" , no thanks, i can look after myself very well thank you.
    "A Mammy?" , i have one, she lives with my Dad. When we are in the same room we tend to have a laugh and make fun of each other, talk politics or religion or she will break type and tell me who died at home since i was there last.
    "A lady in the streets but a freak in the bed?" , leave the rap genre stereotypes at home. The majority of people fail to stack up to my ideas of either but will shamelessly self promote themselves as one or the other.
    "A girlfriend to be scene at not heard?", nope, that one only applies to the gaggle of kids people insist on pulling around after them where they go.
    "Men don't know what they want"? You're close, some do, some don't, some will, some won't.

These threads are always epic failures from the start because there is no such thing as "what men want". Hate to break it to you, some men hate getting head, some men hate having sex, some men don't give a **** about football, or sports, or money, or whatever other pathetic stereotypes have become so easy for even men to throw around these days. There is no universal anything once you get further than the very basic aspects of living that Maslow showed us.

Individuality is the double edge sword of humanity because it is that same thing that will attract us and at the same time drive us apart.

Does nobody else see the complete irony of sitting there thinking you want to be your own, unique individual but you also want to be related to?

I think the closest anyone has come over this entire thread is the implication that men "want" one thing and "need" another and the vocalised expression of this will change depending on who is in the room, be they male or female.

But even that is based on the assumption that all men are somehow weak, unable to express their true feelings and emotions because we are afraid of how we will be viewed.

Please explain this "Mammy" idea?! How is that relevent to what men want?

Because it is apparently "Irish Mammies" that are what is wrong with Irish Men in that we allow them to have too much control, care for us too much. If half the posts in here were to be believed we are all being dressed by our mothers and marched out the door by them to work in the mornings.

Basically the majority of women who plan on having a long term relationship with a man will misinterpret the natural hesitance of a mother to pass her childs happiness of to another women are being them being way to controlling.

You know when you meet a girlfriends father for the first time, you have a quick chat, you set down the rules and you shake hands and it all done?

Yeah, this is what happens with women. It basically becomes the mans fault. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think men want women to stop trying to be both partners in one relationship and then whinging about it.

Good post fairly apt
    Dragan wrote: »
    The irony is that most of us will base our beliefs in what the opposite sex want off failed relationships with ex's who we never could have hoped to make things work with at the time because we just were not emotionally, mentally or spiritually developed enough to do so.

Especially this bit - never thought of it like that before

Hate to break it to you, some men hate getting head, some men hate having sex, some men don't give a **** about football, or sports, or money, or whatever other pathetic stereotypes have become so easy for even

Without intending for this to sound any way pervey - is this really true?!

I think the closest anyone has come over this entire thread is the implication that men "want" one thing and "need" another and the vocalised expression of this will change depending on who is in the room, be they male or female.

[B]Yep - Rolling Stones conveyed it best[/B]

The first and most important bond formed with a women is with the mother - this has an impact on all relationships formed there after . Same is true of father and daughters. But more commonly placed with mother and son- guess its the biological thing.

Freud devised theorys about this. Am sure an aspiring philosopher/phsychologist will explain it better.

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Without intending for this to sound any way pervey - is this really true?!

Yes. Personally i know 3 guys who dislike receiving head. I know a couple of guys who dislike sex. I know one who has never had sex and most likely never will because he doesn't want to.

Yes. Personally i know 3 guys who dislike receiving head. I know a couple of guys who dislike sex. I know one who has never had sex and most likely never will because he doesn't want to.

Maybe they just weren't that into you??! :pac::D

Maybe they just weren't that into you??! :pac::D

At least they had the deceny to spare my feelings about it!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Kinda shocked that so many women have stereotypically gone with the stereotypes.
    I know more guys than women who can cook. Most guys want somebody who cares about them and, shock, listens. The stuff girls overhear about "racks", "rumps" and "roides" are usually either down to peer presure (lads, this is the humour we're rolling with today) or an appreciation of inappropriate humour in an ironic sort of way. Many guys speak like that in front of women as a wind up.
    Only a small percentage of men want the cooking, cleaning passive type. And they're usually the ones who Mammy spoilt (only child maybe).
    Alot of men expect to be waited on because when the couple bought their first place, the girl got all broody and nested. She cooked nice meals, cleaned everything and was the perfect little housewife. Then she tires of it and gives out stink because her other half seems to have gotten used of it. I've seen so many guys (previously completely independent) get lazy and expect everything done for them all because the woman took it on herself for a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i would like a lady who's easy to talk to, fun to be around get up and go, and dress's well... :)

At least they had the deceny to spare my feelings about it!!! :D

Na - probably was the timing - I d say go for it! :D
    i would like a lady who's easy to talk to, fun to be around get up and go, and dress's well... :)

Did you get your websites mixed up!! ??

Plans for a single mingle night this week with boardsies in Dublin.. Am sure your criterion will be met! Thraeds somewhere in events :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Id say most men want what most women want out of the other sex.

Someone who cares, is fun, smart and whatever other criteria each man has himself.

I still laugh at this whole men are a different species thing. Yea Ill joke about it but I think ultimatly men and women are the same when it comes to things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Did you get your websites mixed up!! ??

nope i just felt like aplying my wants to this thread as i think it was fare Im actully curently single and am planing on staying that way... Unless, the unbeknownisy happens and i meet a girl who i get on really well with:cool:

nope i just felt like aplying my wants to this thread as i think it was fare Im actully curently single and am planing on staying that way... Unless, the unbeknownisy happens and i meet a girl who i get on really well with:cool:

Good luck with that - I am sure you will meet loads :)

I know one who has never had sex and most likely never will because he doesn't want to.

Jeez what ever happened to "try anything once" and "don't knock it till ya try it"!

Jeez what ever happened to "try anything once" and "don't knock it till ya try it"!

Ah, in fairness to him he has his reasons and he will stick by them. It's not so much the sex in and of itself as the physical contact required to have it that he would have issue with.

It's hard to explain but lets just say i can understand where this guy is coming from, in a way.

Well I work with just guys, I train with just guys and I have one of my own. :D

So I think I have an idea of what MOST men want...

They don't want drama, hassle, histrionics. They don't care that so-and-so said this to yer one at the weekend, and she looked at me funny and the other one is just jealous and she's a bitch and blah blah blah.

They don't care that you've put on or lost a quarter of a pound this week, and they really don't want to hear the ins and outs of how many points are in a leaf of lettuce.

They think your bum looks just fine in those jeans, you don't need to wear that much make-up and a mussed-up hairdo and a smile is more attractive than a fake-tanned dolly bird with hair ghd-ed to within an inch of its life.

They want to be able to relax in a woman's company without wondering if they're saying the 'right thing'.
    They want to be able to laugh with you, and want you to be able to take a bit of gentle slagging without dissolving into girlie tears.

And (this might cause consternation) I think men want a woman to need them in some ways. Independence is great, but a man wants to feel like he's useful for being a man.
    So put down the hammer, even if you can do it yourself, and let him put up the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I hate to break it to people but you will base your strongest, most associated memories of "what men want" from two different sources. Fathers and boyfriends. It's just the way it goes. For blokes it's the vice versa with what women want.

^ This is very true for both sexes when it comes to these type of topics.

I disagree with this though, if men (or women for that matter) change what they say they need/want depending on their company, then they are simply being false.
    Well I work with just guys, I train with just guys and I have one of my own. :D

So I think I have an idea of what MOST men want...

They don't want drama, hassle, histrionics. They don't care that so-and-so said this to yer one at the weekend, and she looked at me funny and the other one is just jealous and she's a bitch and blah blah blah.

They don't care that you've put on or lost a quarter of a pound this week, and they really don't want to hear the ins and outs of how many points are in a leaf of lettuce.

They think your bum looks just fine in those jeans, you don't need to wear that much make-up and a mussed-up hairdo and a smile is more attractive than a fake-tanned dolly bird with hair ghd-ed to within an inch of its life.

They want to be able to relax in a woman's company without wondering if they're saying the 'right thing'.
    They want to be able to laugh with you, and want you to be able to take a bit of gentle slagging without dissolving into girlie tears.

And (this might cause consternation) I think men want a woman to need them in some ways. Independence is great, but a man wants to feel like he's useful for being a man.
    So put down the hammer, even if you can do it yourself, and let him put up the shelves.
    :eek: By jaysus, I think you've got it :eek:

Advertisement