Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU flag waving across the Liffey and no sign of a Tricolour.

Options
  • 23-11-2008 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I was out last night and saw the EU flag at the corner of Batchelors Walk and Caple St and there was no sign of the Tricolour in any flag post on the area. This is very dissapointing from an Irish National. If this was America or even the UK If there was flags present you can be sure that their National flag would be seen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

theres plenty irish flags everywhere. Who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fumpidge

seanybiker wrote: »
    theres plenty irish flags everywhere. Who cares.
    Not the point, Where is our national pride, It will be a sad day if this foreign flag takes the roost over our national flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

That sounds like a pretty big 'if'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fumpidge

Quinine wrote: »
    That sounds like a pretty big 'if'.
    Ill rephrase that again. "It will be a sad day when this foreign flag takes the roost over our national flag".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

fumpidge wrote: »
    Ill rephrase that again. "It will be a sad day when this foreign flag takes the roost over our national flag".

Why does flying the European flag evoke such fear amongst those more nationalistically inclined in a free and democratic society like ours while at the same time in a closed dictatorship on the other side of the same continent it evokes a spirit hope amongst those who seek freedom? Where simply possessing it risks imprisonment.

The answer seems perfectly clear to me.

http://www.neurope.eu/articles/86285.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

How is it a "foreign" flag though? We are all citizens of Europe, our passports are EU passports too and we have all the rights and responsibilities attached to EU citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There are strict (though often ignored) rules on who, when and where the national flag can be flown.

Who exactly was flying the EU flag, and where?

Cards on the table: I'm very happy for Ireland to be a member of the EU, as long as it's an equal member with other nations. The EU has been good for us, enabling us to retake our place in Europe and remake contacts with European nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I was out last night and saw the EU flag at the corner of Batchelors Walk and Caple St and there was no sign of the Tricolour in any flag post on the area. This is very dissapointing from an Irish National. If this was America or even the UK If there was flags present you can be sure that their National flag would be seen.

The Irish flag should only be flown between sunrise and sunset...so it's right that you didnt see it.

National Flag should be displayed in the open only between sunrise and sunset, except on the occasion of public meetings, processions, or funerals, when it may be displayed for the duration of such functions (Figure G).

Note: For military purposes, sunrise and sunset
    are deemed to be:

Sunrise:
    March to October 08:00 Hours
    November to February 08:30 Hours

Sunset:
    January and December 15:30 Hours
    February and November 16:30 Hours
    March and October 17:30 Hours
    April 18:00 Hours
    May and September 19:00 Hours
    June to August 20:00 Hours

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=194&docID=242

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Right, I'll get me pike, you book the tickets to Brussels on Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

If it bothers you so much why don't you do something about it (other than impotent posts on internet message boards). Don't wait for somebody else to take up your cause on your behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

If it bothers you so much why don't you do something about it (other than impotent posts on internet message boards). Don't wait for somebody else to take up your cause on your behalf.

Having to do something ourselves? What a ridiculous concept!

Realisticly its not a foriegn flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mick_irl wrote: »
    The Irish flag should only be flown between sunrise and sunset...so it's right that you didnt see it.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=194&docID=242

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Look closer, it is there. The EU flag you are referring to is on a flagpole beside O'Connell bridge. Beside the flag is another flagpole which has the Dublin city flag. On the opposite side of the bridge is 2 more flagpoles, one with the tricolour, the other with the Leinster flag. I may have got the orders wrong regarding positioning of the flags but the tricolour is near O'Connell house, you have to look at the bridge as a single piece that contains all the relevant flags that are representative of the citizens of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

you have to look at the bridge as a single piece that contains all the relevant flags that are representative of the citizens of Dublin.

Where did they put the Polish and Chinese flags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

liveview.jpg?1176066087

more irishtimes bias, i knew their view was skewed towards euorpe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mick_irl wrote: »

That EU flag is on the corner of Ormond Quay and Caple St Bridge. Is it not disrespectful to have this flag left out all night? I'm sure Nicolas Sarkozy would not be too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

That EU flag is on the corner of Ormond Quay and Caple St Bridge. Is it not disrespectful to have this flag left out all night? I'm sure Nicolas Sarkozy would not be too impressed.

The French President? Why would he be worried? It's not the French flag, after all. Still, if he is worried, he can stop in a month or so.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

--edit

I should read threads before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I can't find any protocol stating that the EU Flag should be taken down at sunset...so I doubt Sarkozy will be too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Not the point, Where is our national pride, It will be a sad day if this foreign flag takes the roost over our national flag.

Its not a foreign flag. Its our Flag. We are Europeans too!

Also, Irish flag protocol mandates that Irish flags be flown only from Sunrise to Sunset, that would explain why all Official flags are missing, its only pubs etc. disgracing the tricolour by flying it in ignorance of established protocol. No such protocol exists for the EU flag. Its a British thing for the Sunrise to Sunset protocol so that is where we get it from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Flags come & go - they always have done - and they always will do, as time goes by . . .

In 1900 Dublin was bedecked with Dublin 'Jackeens' waving Union Jacks all over the place as Queen Victoria visited the Country, with the Union Flag still being the National flag of Ireland right up to 1916 & beyond > and yet, by 1922 the Tricolour had completly & utterly replaced it, with not a Union Jack in sight!

So, I would'nt be at all surprised if, in the next twenty-fifty years the Irish National flag changed yet again, whether or not it becomes the 'Euro Flag' or some other colourful weave remains to be seen :)

Camelot wrote: »
    Flags come & go - they always have done - and they always will do, as time goes by . . .

In 1900 Dublin was bedecked with Dublin 'Jackeens' waving Union Jacks all over the place as Queen Victoria visited the Country, with the Union Flag still being the National flag of Ireland right up to 1916 & beyond > and yet, by 1922 the Tricolour had completly & utterly replaced it, with not a Union Jack in sight!

So, I would'nt be at all surprised if, in the next twenty-fifty years the Irish National flag changed yet again, whether or not it becomes the 'Euro Flag' or some other colourful weave remains to be seen :)
    The tricolor would more than likely be replaced by the EU flag with a Harp in the center like the Euro coins. The Tricolor would then be BANNED as the national flag. We would have no choice on the matter if a majority EU Parliament decided on the issue to replace all the independent National flags of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

The tricolor would more than likely be replaced by the EU flag with a Harp in the center like the Euro coins. The Tricolor would then be BANNED as the national flag. We would have no choice on the matter if a majority EU Parliament decided on the issue to replace all the independent National flags of Europe.

My only happiness in this EU Fascist State of Nazi Doom is how you'd be swiftly censored, so I wouldn't have to read this drivel everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Completely off the beam again. Where do you get these stupid ideas from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

:D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

studiorat wrote: »
    Completely off the beam again. Where do you get these stupid ideas from?
    We already have it on our coins :pac:
    150px-1e_ire.png

Nothing surprises me with EU law, if they can ban bent bananas they are capable of anything. :D
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6481969.stm
    passive wrote: »
    My only happiness in this EU Fascist State of Nazi Doom is how you'd be swiftly censored, so I wouldn't have to read this drivel everywhere.

I wouldnt put a pass on it:
    Euro MPs are preparing to vote on proposals for European Union regulation of blogs with the aim of countering a "dangerous" and unregulated blogosphere

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-blog-ban.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

if they can ban bent bananas they are capable of anything.

I remember when they officially redesignated the carrot as a fruit.

http://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food/eu_docs/food_products/
    FruitJam_Jelly_Marmalade_ChestnutPuree/
    Dir%202001.113%20EC.pdf

EU Genius wrote:
    for the purposes of this Directive, tomatoes, the edible parts of rhubarb stalks, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons and water-melons are considered to be fruit

(You can query sweet potatoes as well, but anyway)

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes, I can see the French, Spanish, Germans and the rest swallowing that one.....

Why would they ban national flags, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

That could make it very confusing for international footy. Go Europe Region 1C!

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Run_to_da_hills, this is your only warning: if you don't keep the conspiracy theories out of this forum, I'll do it for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement