Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyzone - Better

Options
  • 23-11-2008 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

hey folks

just curious as to what people are making of this version?

must admit i love it,really really do,and i think its gonna be massive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Its ok but I prefer Tom Baxter

The video is getting a bit of press over Stephen getting up close and personal with a fella :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭harmankardon

so does nobody else have an opinion on this? i personally thought this would get a larger reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

so does nobody else have an opinion on this? i personally thought this would get a larger reaction

A hasbeen Irish boyband generates zero interest on an Irish music forum?
    NO WAI! ;)

can u define has been please?

can u define has been please?

Simple, a boyband that essentially broke up 9 years ago, one had a ropey solo career being a covers artist, another had a no so successful solo stint, two did a Milli Vanilli pisstake, while the most successful one out of the lot ended up behind the bar at the rovers return, to come back to generate little or no interest except for those who just walked out of a nostalgia factory.

Yeah, that defines Hasbeen band in a nutshell to me. Especially if you add to the equation that they probably would never have reformed had Take That's reunion hadn't generated so much interest the year beforehand.

• Advertisement

really are clueless aint you?

OK first thing, i agree with is the take that thing, yea it clearly gave them a kick up the arse.

im not gonna get into an argument with you because your clearly misinformed. i just want to clear up a few things.

you call keith the most successful?is that a joke?

Ronan spent more time solo than in boyzone, sold more records solo than boyzone sold,a man who has had 15 top ten hits in the UK since boyzone, including 3 number 1's and 4 number 2's, doesn't sound like a f"ropey solo carrer" to me.. A man who can go to asia,and play in front of 20000 people? the same man who played at the opening ceremony to the world cup in 2006 in front of 250,000 people?? are we still talking about the same man here or am i confused?a man who currently holds the record for the most consecutive top ten hits ever in the UK(around 33 i think or something like that),how oh how do you not call that a successful solo career?He played the same size venues world that boyzone were playing, only place his popularity dwindled was in ireland,as he freely admits, he aint as big as he once was here.

So this man who didnt have a successful solo career has had bryan adams and the bee gees doing back vocals for him, and even somehow,against all the odds, got cat stevens to duet with him on father and son?oh and he sang your song with elton as Elton's guest in Madison square garden.

O:k yea fair enough he does release some covers,but his albums aint covers.

so fair enough keith did ok,but come,do u see my point?
    ok rant over,im bleeding starving, just stop listening to the Irish media maybe when it comes to Irish artists or bands.,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OK first thing, i agree with is the take that thing, yea it clearly gave them a kick up the arse.

im not gonna get into an argument with you because your clearly misinformed. i just want to clear up a few things.

Ronan spent more time solo than in boyzone, sold more records solo than boyzone sold,a man who has had 15 top ten hits in the UK since boyzone, including 3 number 1's and 4 number 2's, doesn't sound like a failed career to me in the slightest. A man who can go to asia,and play in front of 20000 people? the same man who played at the opening ceremony to the world cup in 2006 in front of 250,000 people?? are we still talking about the same man here or am i confused?a man who currently holds the record for the most consecutive top ten hits ever in the UK(around 33 i think or something like that),how oh how do you not call that a successful solo career?He played the same size venues world that boyzone were playing, only place his popularity dwindled was in ireland,as he freely admits, he aint as big as he once was here.

So this man who didnt have a successful solo career has had bryan adams and the bee gees doing back vocals for him, and even somehow,against all the odds, got cat stevens to duet with him on father and son?oh and he sang your song with elton as Elton's guest in Madison square garden.

ok rant over,im bleeding starving, just stop listening to the Irish media maybe when it comes to Irish artists or bands.,
    Have you ever seen that movie ''The Bodyguard''?

yea its ****ing deadly;)

stupid question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

hey folks

just curious as to what people are making of this version?

must admit i love it,really really do,and i think its gonna be massive

it might just be settings on my computer, but you do realise you are asking people what they think of a big white box, then you failed to comprehend why people are not replying with their admiration for a big white box.

on the subject of 'The Zone, they are 5 (?) 30 something men, trying to relive a brief moment of commercial success they had in the mid 90's singing carbon copy cover versions of other peoples songs and the occasional ballad. I like music, not the sad fact that people can be lavished with money and fame for and while contributing nothing to the world. They are 5 lucky men and I reckon after drifting back into further obscurity they will be making their next triumphant comeback on a Sky one's "100 greatest 90's moments" show, or some other cultural wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Ronan spent more time solo than in boyzone, sold more records solo than boyzone sold,a man who has had 15 top ten hits in the UK since boyzone, including 3 number 1's and 4 number 2's, doesn't sound like a f"ropey solo carrer" to me.. A man who can go to asia,and play in front of 20000 people? the same man who played at the opening ceremony to the world cup in 2006 in front of 250,000 people?? are we still talking about the same man here or am i confused?a man who currently holds the record for the most consecutive top ten hits ever in the UK(around 33 i think or something like that),how oh how do you not call that a successful solo career?He played the same size venues world that boyzone were playing, only place his popularity dwindled was in ireland,as he freely admits, he aint as big as he once was here.

all right Ronan the game is up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Especially if you add to the equation that they probably would never have reformed had Take That's reunion hadn't generated so much interest the year beforehand.

God wouldn't mention Take That in the same light as Boyzone, Take That appear to have left behind that whole boy band image, their comeback album was actually very good and their new album is actually very very good, nothing like any of that boy band stuff, Gary Barlow is an excellent songwriter something Boyzone dont have.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    God wouldn't mention Take That in the same light as Boyzone, Take That appear to have left behind that whole boy band image, their comeback album was actually very good and their new album is actually very very good, nothing like any of that boy band stuff, Gary Barlow is an excellent songwriter something Boyzone dont have.

Gary Barlow is a competent songwriter, not an excellent one. There's a world of difference. Prince is an excellent songwriter, ask Sinead O'Connor.

Compare the success rates between the two. :)

The facts spoke for themselves, so i'd suggest you ask yourself that question before asking anyone else.

You had no choice in the matter to agree, because the facts spoke for themselves, ticket sales for both comeback concerts spoke for themselves too.

Please do! This should be good for a laugh!

Not at all. Keith's had more time in the public eye, not only for his nationwide charitable contributions and his acting parts. Keith Duffy earned the majority of the peoples respect because he was the only one post Boyzone split that didn't come off as a pretentious knob.

Ronan Keating barely established himself out of the country, something Boyzone achieved quite easily I might add. Also Ronan Keating does not hold 33 consecutive hits in the UK solo. And both can't be combined. Hence why Girls Aloud have the current record.

And i don't have a clue, eh? :)

And yet his solo career was so unsuccessful that he had to go back to returning to a shoddy boy band because of poor album sales and lack of interest and the inability to generate the next generation of fans because his current ones grew out of the boyband phase?

You take his last greatest hits comp that came out (that spanned both Boyzone and solo), you'll find there's f*ck all original material on it. He's a glorified caberet act.

Um, i've been to at least 30 acts live in concert this year alone, trust me, I don't need the media to make my mind up for me.

So you're "bleeding starving"? Good, eat that! :)

if he doesnt have the record why in october 2006 was he entered into the guinness book of records as the only artist ever to have 30 consectuive top ten hits.?so they clearly do count boyzone.

"Ronan Keating barely established himself out of the country"

did i not just disgard this silly piece of information?thats just not true in the slightest

he's also the holder of an ivor novello for picture of you,and a bmi for the long goodbye,so he's clearly a capable song writer.

I think gary is better yes,but ronan can still clearly write

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

if he doesnt have the record why in october 2006 was he entered into the guinness book of records as the only artist ever to have 30 consectuive top ten hits.?so they clearly do count boyzone.

"Ronan Keating barely established himself out of the country"

did i not just disgard this silly piece of information?thats just not true in the slightest

he's also the holder of an ivor novello for picture of you,and a bmi for the long goodbye,so he's clearly a capable song writer.

I think gary is better yes,but ronan can still clearly write

I'm not sure why you are getting so wound up over this. Boyzone and the likes are clearly aimed at teenage girls, so why are you so shocked to find that the majority of people can't stand them? You're entitled to enjoy their music if you want, but you are in a minority which includes a majority of people who are under the age of 18..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Stairway to Zeppelin are a much better cover band IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Gary Barlow is a competent songwriter, not an excellent one. There's a world of difference. Prince is an excellent songwriter, ask Sinead O'Connor.

Compare the success rates between the two. :)

Gary Barlow hasn't done too badly a number of Ivor Novellos to his name, to be fair to him their was a period when absolutely no one would touch him, he went off to America and started to rebuild his career as a songwriter, he managed to secure a writing contract with Sony, set up his own production company and prior to getting back with Take That was starting to carve out a successful career writing and producing for other artists, even with Take That now back he is still working with other people. Personally think he is an excellent writer of pop songs and his success rate is pretty good for the short time he has been writing for others.I wouldn't be your typical Take That fan, can't stand the likes of Boyzone, but Garys songwriting does give them credibility and having listened to some tracks on their new album, it is a million miles away from your boyband type material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Boyzone are woeful. It's not even a matter of opinion or subjectivity. You like them and that's your prerogative but they are still ****, even if you think they're good.

And i'm the one enough gullable to believe everything i read from the media. Last current record was from last September, where Girls Aloud won it with 17 songs, beating Madonnas record. :rolleyes:

No, you based your (somewhat biased) opinion as fact. There's a significant difference there. :)

You've got me there, i guess those things just went down in value over the years eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Stairway to Zeppelin are a much better cover band IMO.

hee hee :D

And who the hell was Ivor Novello anyway?! Couldnt be arsed googling him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

are you ronan keating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

just stop listening to the Irish media maybe when it comes to Irish artists or bands.,
    :confused:
    Well I just go by the Boyzone/Ronan Keating material I've heard, and it's horrible, horrible stuff. Don't need the media to decide that for me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I quite like it.
    I like the video a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ronan spent more time solo than in boyzone

Excellent point, Ronan Keating has been going solo longer than he was in Boyzone. Just like that Paul McCartney guy, he's been touring and recording solo albums for nearly forty years and I'd say nobody here has ever even heard of the somewhat successful band he was in during the 1960s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think we have killed the innocence of someone.
    If you are still reading a OP, Boyzone were a good example of a manufactured boy (band?) hitting a target demographic.
    This not make them universally loved so you shouldn't be annoyed by this negative feedback.

P.S Tom Baxter's version is way better. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Tom Baxter's song and is slightly ruined by this Boyzone one.
    If you heard Baxter's version first you would not think so much of Boyzones.
    Then only reason they covered this song is that it is coming up to Christmas and it is heart warming so people will buy it .
    If it was better than the original than fair dues but they are just trying to cash in imo

Advertisement