Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To firesale my Landcruiser or not?

Options
  • 23-11-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I moved to Sydney about 6 months ago leaving behind my 7 year old LWB Landcruiser Commercial. I tried unsuccessfully to sell it before I left with no joy.

I'll be in Australia for at least 12 months so I'd like to buy a car here now but don't want to end up owning two. I'm home for three weeks at christmas and I'm thinking of throwing it into an auction.

I'm taking it that there is absolutely no market in Ireland at the moment for commercials. Should I just hang onto it as a second car for when I come home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I have one and it's very hard to sell these yokes now, If you intend working in Ireland again and you can afford it, I would say keep it, the toyota is a good old workhorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

For what it's worth, and what you will lose throw selling it through auction, i would say keep it. If you need the few bob, an auction seems to be the easy solution out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you can afford to, keep it. Declare it off the road so you don't have to pay motortax. Store it securely and cancel your insurance.

If you can't afford to, the news is not good. Did you search carzone.ie for Lancruisers? There are thousands of them for sale it seems. Take the cheapest one comparable to yours, halve the price and that's what you can realistically expect at auction. Also, Christmas would be the worst time of the year to sell a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

If it costs you nothing like you have no finance left on it, hang onto it or you'll loose your shirt on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Link in your sig doesn't work by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

eoin_s wrote: »
    The Link in your sig doesn't work by the way.
    Yeah, the ad expired about 5 months ago. I hadn't been bothered to renew it when I was out of the country. It looks like the best option is to just hang onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    If you can afford to, keep it. Declare it off the road so you don't have to pay motortax. Store it securely and cancel your insurance.

No need to declare it off the road. You just need to sign a statutory declaration when you wish to tax it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote: »
    No need to declare it off the road. You just need to sign a statutory declaration when you wish to tax it again.

Iirc, before the motor tax is running out, you automatically get a renewal form in the post. If you don't do anything, you get several other reminders / renewal forms and finally you get a form where you can state you don't own it anymore, the car is scrapped, the car is permanently off the road, etc.

I'm not sure what happens if you don't fill in and return this form. Probably nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Iirc, before the motor tax is running out, you automatically get a renewal form in the post. If you don't do anything, you get several other reminders / renewal forms and finally you get a form where you can state you don't own it anymore, the car is scrapped, the car is permanently off the road, etc.

I'm not sure what happens if you don't fill in and return this form. Probably nothing :)

Ya you can generally just leave it until your taxing the car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My folks got one of them when I was away for a few months, there was some threat on the letter but I've no idea what it was as they just signed it off the road and posted it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Nothing happens. I've had loads of those letters in the post. They say they'll inform the gardai etc etc, that the vehicle is untaxed blah dey, blah dey, blah.
    We don't have the "SORN" thing here yet like the uk - i'd say its coming tho tbh. In the uk and your tax is out and you don't declate it off the road by fillin out a statutory of the road notice, they will do you right and proper if you're caught driving on a public highway, or parked up anywhere on a public street/highway!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Nothing happens if you ignore these forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ballooba wrote: »
    I moved to Sydney about 6 months ago leaving behind my 7 year old LWB Landcruiser Commercial. I tried unsuccessfully to sell it before I left with no joy.

I'll be in Australia for at least 12 months so I'd like to buy a car here now but don't want to end up owning two. I'm home for three weeks at christmas and I'm thinking of throwing it into an auction.

I'm taking it that there is absolutely no market in Ireland at the moment for commercials. Should I just hang onto it as a second car for when I come home?

There is, but its not as large as it used to be thanks to a poor econemy and a land of nearvous buyers so worse comesa to worst, stick her in the n.i auto trader, at trade price and take no less...

can't make a profit, or your money back in a resession... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Life is too short to worry about depreciating assets rotting away in other countries.

Get rid of it ASAP.

Advertisement