Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North America to go to war?

Options
  • 23-11-2008 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

If the wrong party gets elected in the upcoming Quebec election (Dec. 8), they eventually may leave Canada.

Will they join the US? Will they cooperate with the US? Will Canada go to war on Quebec? Will the US join in?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The last time the US invaded Canada, it wasn't all that pretty for the Americans.

Honestly, I can't see Quebec leaving the rest of Canada. At best it'll be some form of nominal independence like Scotland has from England in the UK. And since the Canadian provinces already have their own legislatures, that means little change at all.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

macded wrote: »
    If the wrong party gets elected in the upcoming Quebec election (Dec. 8), they eventually may leave Canada.

Will they join the US? Will they cooperate with the US? Will Canada go to war on Quebec? Will the US join in?

Talk about mellow-dramatic.
    Support for session in Quebec is about 30% or so in the most favourable straw polls having fell sigificantly since the last session vote which was for Quebec to become a soverign nation, not a US state.
    A state government has no mandate for session simply because it's in government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

isn't Canada the only nation to have it's military reach and burn down the white house?

legends, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

...?

bear in mind i slept through a lot of north american history but "?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

macded wrote: »

Huh?
    If the people vote for the "wrong party"?
    What a ridiculous post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Overheal wrote: »
    ...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Overheal wrote: »
    ...?

More like selective hearing! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The Quebec secession party has already been in government before, and it hasn't happened. This non issue pops up every few years but is never going to happen imo.

It's misleading to say 'Canada burnt down the White House' because at the time it was a British colony, part of the same United Kingdom we were then part of. It was more of a continuation of hostiles between the two sides after American independence than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mordeth wrote: »
    isn't Canada the only nation to have it's military reach and burn down the white house?

legends, tbh.

British marines actually
    Edit: based in Canada at the time so we're both correct :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The Quebec secession party has already been in government before, and it hasn't happened. This non issue pops up every few years but is never going to happen imo.

They got close to independence in 1995, 50.6% NO to 49.4% YES, it would be interesting to see what would happen if another referendum took place in the coming years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

They got close to independence in 1995, 50.6% NO to 49.4% YES, it would be interesting to see what would happen if another referendum took place in the coming years
    Where in the Canadian constitution is there the right of secession?

"Right to secede under Canadian law. The court addressed the three questions in order. First, they stated that under the Canadian Constitution (and with Quebec as being a party to it since its inception), unilateral secession was not legal. Indeed, the Constitution of Canada does not contain a single line on the subject. Hence, no law could possibly allow for secession."

Source: http://www.experiencefestival.com/reference_re_secession_of_quebec_-_right_to_secede_under_canadian_law

"if Quebec attempts to secede without Canada's co-operation, it will find nothing in Canadian law - and little in international law - to support the move."

Source: http://www.tamilnation.org/selfdetermination/countrystudies/quebec/quebec1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Where in the Canadian constitution is there the right of secession?

"Right to secede under Canadian law. The court addressed the three questions in order. First, they stated that under the Canadian Constitution (and with Quebec as being a party to it since its inception), unilateral secession was not legal. Indeed, the Constitution of Canada does not contain a single line on the subject. Hence, no law could possibly allow for secession."

Source: http://www.experiencefestival.com/reference_re_secession_of_quebec_-_right_to_secede_under_canadian_law

"if Quebec attempts to secede without Canada's co-operation, it will find nothing in Canadian law - and little in international law - to support the move."

Source: http://www.tamilnation.org/selfdetermination/countrystudies/quebec/quebec1.htm

I was just pointing out for the benefit of people on this thread that may not have known or remembered that Quebec had a independence referendum in 1995, I don't care what Canadian law may say about anything to be honest.

Montreal is a great city by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I was just pointing out for the benefit of people on this thread that may not have known or remembered that Quebec had a independence referendum in 1995, I don't care what Canadian law may say about anything to be honest.
    It suggests that the referendum is constitutionally moot?
    Been there...Agree!

Was. They've lost the Grand Prix, now reducing the chances I'll ever go back.

It's a bit of a shock, though, getting off the Amtrak train from New York and suddenly switching to French as the default language.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

More like selective hearing! ;)
    My History teacher was a MILF. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Syferus wrote: »
    It's misleading to say 'Canada burnt down the White House' because at the time it was a British colony, part of the same United Kingdom we were then part of. It was more of a continuation of hostiles between the two sides after American independence than anything else.

Actually, it was colony, we were an integral part of the UK. We had more rights than Canadians then and from a legal standpoint, we were the co-colonial masters. However, it was full of royalists who fled north after 1776 and was thus very loyal.

But yeah, it was a British/Canadian force which burnt the White House.

As for Quebec, if they do become independent, I don't think they'd join the US, they're too French. I don't think they'd try to get closer to France either, they'd probably become a new nation-state with very close ties to Canada.

Actually, it was colony, we were an integral part of the UK. We had more rights than Canadians then and from a legal standpoint, we were the co-colonial masters. However, it was full of royalists who fled north after 1776 and was thus very loyal.

But yeah, it was a British/Canadian force which burnt the White House.

As for Quebec, if they do become independent, I don't think they'd join the US, they're too French. I don't think they'd try to get closer to France either, they'd probably become a new nation-state with very close ties to Canada.

Which happens to be exactly what I said. We were then part of the United Kingdom, British Canada being a colony of it.

The title to this thread is provocative. The only "war" will be a "war" of words.

The title to this thread is provocative. The only "war" will be a "war" of words.

Damnit, and I was all looking forward to Leopards vs Abrams battles. Had the popcorn ready and all.

NTM

• Advertisement

Damnit, and I was all looking forward to Leopards vs Abrams battles. Had the popcorn ready and all.
    Naaaa, you were refueling and taking on ammo.

Quebec will not separate from Canada if they get a majority in a referendum, any more than northern Italy separated from Rome and the south when they got a majority in their referendum to secede in the late 1990s. And there was no war, unless you count a pasta food fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Small misunderstanding here I guess...
    part of the same United Kingdom we were then part of.

I took this to mean you either considered Ireland a colony or Canada part of the UK. No harm done.

Advertisement