Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little big planet recalled over two sentences...

Options
  • 23-11-2008 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

"It sounds almost inconceivable: Sony's highly visible, broadly-appealing, and probably most important video game release of 2008 has been globally recalled with less than four days to retail. LittleBigPlanet, UK-based indie developer Media Molecule's surprise water-cooler wonder about a black-button-eyed knitted and zippered creature named Sackboy who bounds and jounces through physically realistic environments was recalled by Sony after the publisher discovered one of the game's background music tracks employs two Arabic-language expressions found in the Qu'ran (Koran)"
    Matt Peckham
    October 20, 2008
    byline_pcworld.gif

I was gonna post this in the Muslim forum but I'd probably end up with one response and a site ban!
    How did it get to this stage that one religon gained so much reverence?
    I'm pretty sure that moderate muslims aren't happy with this kind of 'protection'.

Most of the responses it has gotten have gone something like this
    Once again, Muslims are untouchable, wrong, and spoiled. Remind me to make a game that makes fun of muslims and the "god" mohammed before I die.
    grot00 Oct-22

Unfortunately for the religons involved in all this 'madness' around their scared beliefs it only drives agnostics further north and tucks in atheists.

It has been said that the process of believing in a religon has stages, if it does which stage are we currently witnessing? Considering the kind of maddening dysfunctionality going on and the glaring absence of logic and moral realitivity we have surely got to be entering the final stages?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

stevejazzx wrote: »
    "It sounds almost inconceivable: Sony's highly visible, broadly-appealing, and probably most important video game release of 2008 has been globally recalled with less than four days to retail. LittleBigPlanet, UK-based indie developer Media Molecule's surprise water-cooler wonder about a black-button-eyed knitted and zippered creature named Sackboy who bounds and jounces through physically realistic environments was recalled by Sony after the publisher discovered one of the game's background music tracks employs two Arabic-language expressions found in the Qu'ran (Koran)"
    Matt Peckham
    October 20, 2008
    byline_pcworld.gif

I was gonna post this in the Muslim forum but I'd probably end up with one response and a site ban!
    I'm pretty sure that moderate muslims aren't happy with this kind of 'protection'.

Most of the responses it has gotten have gone something like this

Unfortunately for the religons involved in all this 'madness' around their scared beliefs it only drives agnostics further north and tucks in atheists.

It has been said that the process of believing in a religon has stages, if it does which stage are we currently witnessing? Considering the kind of maddening dysfunctionality going on and the glaring absence of logic and moral realitivity we have surely got to be entering the final stages?

This is old news at this point (LBP is out as we speak) but to be fair, Sony weren't made to recall it, they did it to pre emt any trouble.

While it would have been cool for them to stand up and go "No, deal with it" business is business and I would reckon they made a simple choice as to what would cost them less.

Remember Sony did support Resistance to continue selling despite the CoE moaning about the scene with a firefight in the cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

It's really called fear not reverence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

SDooM wrote: »
    This is old news at this point (LBP is out as we speak) but to be fair, Sony weren't made to recall it, they did it to pre emt any trouble.

While it would have been cool for them to stand up and go "No, deal with it" business is business and I would reckon they made a simple choice as to what would cost them less.

Remember Sony did support Resistance to continue selling despite the CoE moaning about the scene with a firefight in the cathedral.

I missed it, only seeing it today in a PC mag so thought others might have to. I know it's nothing new but I can't help be amazed each time. In CoE that scene is a cathedral right? ...not a mosque?
    anti-venom wrote: »
    It's really called fear not reverence.

I was going to say that Sony were hardly fearful that Muslims would be violent somehow if this were released with two line of the Koran in it and then I remebered the Dutch cartoons....sigh, such a pathectic world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I missed it, only seeing it today in a PC mag so thought others might have to. I know it's nothing new but I can't help be amazed each time. In CoE that scene is a cathedral right? ...not a mosque?

I was going to say that Sony were hardly fearful that Muslims would be violent somehow if this were released with two line of the Koran in it and then I remebered the Dutch cartoons....sigh, such a pathectic world.

It is in a cathedral, yah. CoE were even threatening to go down the legal route.

Video games used to be under the media radar to a certain extent, sadly this is no longer the case. I assume thats why Sony did what they did because you just know some newspaper would make a thing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I live in Sony's country, I have worked for the company, I understand the culture. I believe it is a business decision only. How many muslims do you think own Playstations? This is not the first time for this to happen in Japan with game software.

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote: »
    I live in Sony's country, I have worked for the company, I understand the culture. I believe it is a business decision only. How many muslims do you think own Playstations?

I'm not sure your point there you say it's a business decision only but then ask how many Muslims own playstaions. Are you inferring its a smaller number (realitively speaking) becasue of that religons view on the subject of owning materialistic items and of playing video games - Or do you mean a lot of muslims own Playstations hence the business decision but then presumably the larger number of playstation owning Mulims would be, in some respect anyway, quite moderate? Wouldn't their moderacy therefore not stop them buying something that contained absolutely no attack or insult to the religon, just 2 lines of text from the Koran? If it would stop them then wouldn't they have to question why they owned playstations at all in the first place as much of the content in a great number of the games would be, in many ways, contravening their religon anyway? Regardless of this it may still be just a business decision but what I was asking in the OP was where we really with all this crazy hypersenitivity with Islam and when will it end. I was just reading another thread where someone said something quite crude involving a Jewish woman and nobody seemed to notice or care.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I had read of the reasoning behind the delay:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3227971/Sony-Playstation-game-Little-Big-Planet-delayed-after-anti-Muslim-claims.html

Luckily many Muslim groups have came out and said its not offensive. Even so the song is still no longer in the game.

Galvasean wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3227971/Sony-Playstation-game-Little-Big-Planet-delayed-after-anti-Muslim-claims.html

Luckily many Muslim groups have came out and said its not offensive. Even so the song is still no longer in the game.

Yeah I read and again it made me think why this kind of blanket censorship is so stupid surely it's time we let the Muslim poeple sort out their own issues with their religon.
    BTW It was all created, I believe, form one game tester. It seems a great shame aslo for the artist involved whose miusic has been dropped from the game; after all, I imagine it was probably his biggest paltform to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yeah I read and again it made me think why this kind of blanket censorship is so stupid surely it's time we let the Muslim poeple sort out their own issues with their religon.
    BTW It was all created, I believe, form one game tester. It seems a great shame aslo for the artist involved whose miusic has been dropped from the game; after all, I imagine it was probably his biggest paltform to date?

It seems a bit weird alright. If we're banning quotes associated with Holy books we might as well ban pretty much any piece of media associated with such quotes. Based on that religious movies thread, there won't be much left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Galvasean wrote: »

Think it still is in minus the lyrics. I'll check at some point. Got the game during the weekend. Old news this, the recall is done, the reissue is done. The game is in my PS3 and I love it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement